TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aftermarket radio - 68 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket radio - 68 Javelin
    Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 4:59pm
Anyone put one in a Javelin and if so, where did you mount it?

Thanks
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 8:35pm
I had a DIN style in my my Javelin. It fit in the radio pod once the face panel was hogged out. (I used one that had already been cut up rather than defile the pristine original that came with the car). IIRC, it required a small brace from the rear of the radio chassis to the stud in the floor. I have since gone to an OE radio that has been modified for AM/FM/Bluetooth.

Note: That stud on the trans tunnel is your ground point for the radio. Don't think you can just eliminate it.

You can get a dual cone speaker that will fits the space of the single speaker in the dash so that you have a left and right front speaker. Just make sure it can handle the power of the amplifier. I mounted rear speakers on the package tray 1970s style.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 8:40pm
The factory slot for my '72 had been butcherd open to fit a single din unit.  I installed a steel plate to cover the hole and reinforce the broken plastic bezel surrounding the opening with rivets and epoxy.

I bought a pioneer sph-10bt 1 din head that I mounted under the drivers chair to where you could reach the 4 buttons on the front.  This unit syncs with your phone and turns it into the head controller.  A small post with a magnet on the back and the phone sticks to the same spot as the factory unit (and is almost the same size). I did run a usb cable under the carpet and out next to the phone mount in case the blue tooth was spotty.  

Its powered by a dedicated fused circuit from a secondary panel in the engine comaprtment thats direct fed by the alt.  It'll power speakers in the door, package tray, and a sub with integral amp in the trunk.

Edited by CHAR - Jan/02/2021 at 8:45pm
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:09pm
Plan to keep the OE radio installed and put the new one in a different location. Also going to fab a plate to hold two 2.5" speakers in the front and 7" round in the back.
Might get one with a remote and stick in the trunk or who knows.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 9:43pm
Have you checked out any marine radios.  Some have a hidden-mount main unit with a surface-mount control panel.  There are also under dash mounts available for various size aftermarket radios.
As for the front speakers, if a 68 is similar to a 70, I mounted 2 Punch P142 4" rounds on a piece of wood and mounted that to the stock speaker bracket.
Bill O.
70 AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 10:30pm
Depending on what you are trying to do, consider a completely hidden, bluetooth-connected player. Literally nothing showing except speakers (and I snuck mine under the front bench seat, subwoofer in the trunk).

There's posts in some board here about these sort of choices, but I can never find anything with forum search. I don't remember which board, etc.

This is the device I used. It's velcro'd onto the heater box of my 68 American.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2021 at 4:02pm
Did not want to remove the am/fm radio so went this route with a Marine Gimbal Mount Stereo Housing. It will be mounted in the rear, on the floor hump behind the space between the seats. It could easily be mounted under the dash. Javelin and AMX have the same dash. Also available in black.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic