TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Upper door hinge springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 8:15pm
I had changed out my spring just driving out the pin as explained earlier. It took about 15 minutes of my time, without any hassles, and with limited tools as well. I'd rather do that than mess with adjusting door glass. It's easier than it looks, so don't get all too fancy over thinking.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 4:48pm
The hinge spring compressor in the picture looks a lot like the valve spring compressor I bought for the B&S lawnmower engine I was messing with. I wonder if that would work in this application.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 6:05pm
I tried a small engine spring compressor and no go.  The door spring is probably 10X stronger.
dutch45810 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch45810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 12:04pm
I'm rebuilding my hinges in prep for new rocker panels and just ordered the GM tool from Amazon for $10 after trying both the bench vice/ziptie and vise-grip method last night but chickening out for fear the spring would fly out.

My current struggle is getting the pin out from the old roller. Is the best path just to drill it out?
Finglonger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finglonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by dutch45810 dutch45810 wrote:

I'm rebuilding my hinges in prep for new rocker panels and just ordered the GM tool from Amazon for $10 after trying both the bench vice/ziptie and vise-grip method last night but chickening out for fear the spring would fly out.

My current struggle is getting the pin out from the old roller. Is the best path just to drill it out?

I'm getting ready to attempt this myself.  can these pins be knocked out on the car, or is the only method to remove the hinges completely, and then install the arm/spring?
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 1:22pm
At the AMC dealership I worked at many years ago we would compress the spring in a vice leaving enough spring sticking out to get some mechanics wire (18 0r 16 gauge solid steel wire) through the center of the spring, twist the wire ends tightly, 4 to 5 twists so it will not unravel, slowly open vice, be careful the spring can fly out of the vice, hold it with a pliers. Install spring, hold it in position, you might want to use a channel lock pliers, and then cut the wire, be careful wear safety glasses
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Finglonger Finglonger wrote:

Originally posted by dutch45810 dutch45810 wrote:

I'm getting ready to attempt this myself.  can these pins be knocked out on the car, or is the only method to remove the hinges completely, and then install the arm/spring?

please read page one, the answers are there
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 9:26pm
Agree with Steve P.  With a long no-tapered punch, after opening the door, drive the pin for the spring-arm out enough for the spring-arm to drop below the hinge roller.  Place the new spring on the perches and use a large screwdriver to lever the spring-arm back on the roller compressing the spring.  Drive the spring-arm pin back into the hinge.  If one is hammer/punch challenged, then pad the top of the door in case of a mis-strike.  This takes 15 minutes a side if one is slow.
Mike
Finglonger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finglonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2022 at 9:34am
excellent.

sounds very do-able, then.

since the hinges are good, i'd rather not wrestle with re-aligning doors.  i am just tired of getting hit in the shins when working under the dashboard.  I'm constantly bumping my 5Gal bucket-doorstop, then getting scissored by the door. :P

thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic