TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to connect electrical in 1958 rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 4:55pm
Headlights
If you could switch between low/high beam it is NOT the switch thats bad but the bulb thats not working.

Normaly there is no light in trunk or under the hood on these cars, but it might been a option you could choose.

Rear lamps
These bulbs is a two filaments type. 
One filament is for the park aswell as driving light. (always lit)(this works on both sides on your car. ref to vid 41.)
The 2nd filament is for directional AND break lights. 

Break/turnsignal
From your video 41. I noticed the right turnsignal is working. This tells me that the 2nd filament and wiring is ok on that side.
Its abit hard to explain this system but I shall try.
What is happening is, when you turn it on, you are send a signal to a rele under the dashboard. Its job is to give and cut power in intervals to the bulbs.  
-And since your car is blinking, the rele is ok, aswell as the bulb and wires on the right side.
(you can hear the clicking sound of the rele to locate it.)
Do the same for the left and if its blinking, the bulbs and circuits on both sides are good. 
(from the turnsignalswitch and to the back).

When you press the breaks it also gives power to the 2nd filament, but on both sides at once. So constant power.
But if you turn on the directional switch, lets say left, while you break, the rele oversteers this system, cutting power on the left side in and out since it is on the same circuit.

From this we can conclude that if the breaklights dont work, it is somewhere in the breaklights circuit that is at fault.
Under the hood where you have the Master break cylinder, you can follow the piping and you will see a pressureswitch on it . (marked stop light switch in your electric scheme in the book [right under the inner left headlight]). This one should have 2 wires attatch to it. Green in color. If those are on, try to wiggle them so you get good connection. If its not there try to locate them and put them on. 
Place your mirror so you can see the lights. 

Engine start.
First of all, put the car in neutral. And if the parkbrake is ok, set that on aswell.
If you want, you can put something in front and back of the wheels to but that up to you. Then the car cant move and run you over or back up, when you continue. 
If the car is in gear it will try to move forward/back when you turn the startmotor. This will burn out the starter and drain your battery really quick. Not good.
Second- remember to remove the tape before you swirl the engine. Also I guess you already have bought a charger so you can charge it overnight. And you will have a battery in good contition for the next steps you take. 

A fun fact about the parklights /turnsignal lights, atleast on the 61 that i have, 
When you pull the lightswitch on the first notch so only the parklight is lit. You can set the directional switch to the left or rigth . This will power the parklight in front and the rear lights on the side you have choosen and only that side wil be lit. Not blinking but constant on. This is incase you have to pull over and you can then stop the car. Having only the parklight on, and you can light up the side that is sticking out towards the road. Warning people that it is a hinder there.

sorry for long post

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jul/18/2021 at 6:13pm
1961 Rambler Classic Crosscountry
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 7:39pm
Ok, I do know where the two green wires fit into the connector near the master cylinder for the brakes, they are quite loose, I have tried already but I will try again and squish them back together to help them have a tighter connection, one of them was always coming off very easy, and I never knew which one went back on which side, since both were off at one time, so I will try putting each on the other "pin" they connect onto.

About the headlights.... If what you say is true then I think the reason only the high beams work is because maybe, possibly maybe the new halogen headlights I have only have ONE filament inside them..... And how they are supposed to work is the electricity at higher or lower levels of power dictate how bright the headlight illuminates, but maybe the rambler doesn't do that to the headlights it powers.....that could be possible..... What do you think? 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jul/18/2021 at 7:45pm
norwegianrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 8:03pm
for the green wires it doesnt matter who goes where.

For the headlights , just use the mirror again. :)
Also you should see on the instrumentpanel a blue light right  under the speedometer, lit when highbeam is on. iIs the same power delivered, but since there is more filaments "working on high beams brighter,.  if its tree poles on the bulb, its a two filament low/high. and those is the outer. if its two poles its high beam only and those is to be placed on the inner.

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jul/18/2021 at 8:09pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 10:07pm
Ok, so it doesn't  matter which green wire goes where, got it.

I still don't understand why the old headlight that has three posts on the back of the bulb works on the outside of the driver's side of the headlight group, but the new one that has three posts on the back of the bulb doesn't work..... The new headlight doesn't work, but when I tried putting the old one there it worked, and you think it's not the switch in the floor?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 3:42am
from what I understand you are writing it has to be the new bulb that is not working. New things can be broken too you know.
If you wan,t we continueono priv chat and take it there, with pictures and all. Then we dont fill your tread here with this :)

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jul/20/2021 at 4:03am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2021 at 6:01am
I was thinking the same thing -- defective new bulb. Did you throw the old bulb away? If not, plug it back in and check operation. If it works properly the wiring and switches are fine, has to be the bulb. If I read correctly you've already done this. If so, return the new headlight and see if the store won't swap it (assuming you used a local store).
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 11:24am
Hmmmmm, maybe the new bulb is defective....I don't think that guy at that particular store will let me exchange them, it seems like a single owner store and not a franchise, it's a small local auto store and I've noticed he has a super high staff turn over, so that's not a good sign, yesterday when I was in there I was asking if he had any spark plug wires, and he looked in his computer and said yes I do, then he want up stairs and got them and when I looked at them they definitely looked like very old and not good quality at all, he probably had them for so long because no one wants to buy them, when I said no I don't want to buy them right now he lowerd the price. 
But I still didn't buy them.
I was talking to him about the problem with the headlights and he said it was probably the foot switch, I don't get a good feeling about him letting me return the bulbs, but I'll ask.
Actually I can't ask because I had the thought maybe the little tabs on the socket prongs was stopping them from going far enough inside the connector and I bent them back in so now there all f'ed up. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jul/21/2021 at 11:29am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 4:14pm
Yeah, Brand new things can be broken to , its good it was only a bulb. 
You got knowledge because of itthat's a positive :) 
Btwyou might need the newly ordered switch later anyway so that's not a total loss.

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jul/21/2021 at 4:18pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 3:45pm
Yes when I have time I'll try putting in the new switch to see if that'll fix the problem, then troutwillys gave me a procedure to do to see if the bulbs work and I'll try that later too!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 11:48pm
Ok, I talked again with troutwilly and he suggested I check and see how many prongs are on the back of each headlight, and I finally realized that hey, if it has a three prong connector, it should have three prongs going into it.... As In the headlight should have three prongs on the back of it.
I went and bought a new headlight and switched out the other one and had three prong headlights at each outer headlight and two prong headlights at the inner headlight, with two prong connectors of course and I tried turning on the headlights and they worked! Problem solved thanks to a helpful member of the forum!
Now the only issue remaining is the brake lights.... He suggested a blue wire is responsible for their operation, I'll have to look into that later... Tomorrow I rescheduled the first start up, the 20 min break in....this is the third time I've scheduled it... Got my fingers crossed! Hope it goes well.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Aug/19/2021 at 11:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic