TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 American front brake drum size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2020 at 10:43pm
Took 2 rear drums to the machine shop and had them open the hub holes on their lathe to fit the front hub. Looks like a good fit. There's a mild difference in that the stock drums have a lightly raised lip right at the hub hole and are a mild interference fit. The cut drums are more of a slip fit, but I don't see any reason why they won't work. And the price was good. Two drums from RA were $40, and I paid $40 for the machine work, so $80 for the pair. I'll let you know if there are any unexpected problems, but I don't anticipate any. I took photos but don't see any way to post them?

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 7:47am
Sounds like a good solution! The lug bolts should hold that drum in place just fine.
You are at a disadvantage for posting photos as a new member....30 points are needed before you can do that. (It was intended to keep out spammers, and it does that pretty well!)

You can email me a pic and I'll post it.

paul.mittermaier@gmail.com
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
58American! View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 7:57am
Ah, that explains the photo issue, must have missed that during sign up. Photos on the way.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 3:58pm
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 5:41pm
Thanks for posting the pic RamblinRev! Unmodified rear drums to the left, cut drums to the right, and a stock front drum on top.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 6:18pm
Great picture! And a good option for us early American owners who have trouble locating front drums! Thanks!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 8:41pm
Nice fix. Precise centering would be the only issue. Glad to know that center hole diam. is the only difference.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2020 at 12:24am
Doc is a pretty amazing machinist so I expect the centering was precise; he's pretty anal. He rebuilt the cylinder head for me, fitting valves with chromed stems intended for a 1988 or thereabouts Ford Ranger with the 2.0 OHC four so he could fit positive lock valve seals to lightly modified valve guides. Springs are for a Cummins with modified IHC keepers! Doc is an old-school machinist, years of work ranging from high-output drag engines to vintage tractors. He did the head work on my Laverda 1000 triple motorcycle engine, not a job for the uninitiated! 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2020 at 10:01am
One possible issue has surfaced, and it has nothing to do with the drums, but removal of the original wheel studs. I used a press, supporting the hub on the back side. Worked fine, studs popped out with a bang, literally. In hindsight, I would take the trouble to find the correct swaging cutting bit for removing the studs. From the factory, they are swaged to the drum/hub to lock and center them. Pressing the swaged studs out seems, at least in my case, to stress the hub holes, making them loose. I ended up using all new studs for the hubs, with red Loctite to encourage them to keep their hold. A couple of them seemed uncomfortable easy to whack in place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic