TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Front Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX Front Suspension
    Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 5:00pm
  I am restoring a 68 AMX, came in boxes, so I have I no references to the way it was. I installed the coils, strut rods and trunnions over the weekend, the engine , trans etc all out of the car.  
  Is it normal to have the control arms dropped to the Max, the upper control arms are resting on the frame rails. I’m sure once the power train gets in , Suspension will drop, but want to make sure I have not missed a crucial step . I did notice with all dropped I can’t get the shocks in , do to the angle of the truant coils.  Again is this normal.
  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks 

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Woodhull Woodhull wrote:

I am restoring a 68 AMX, came in boxes, so I have I no references to the way it was. 
I suggest you acquire a TSM and Scott Cambell's AMC Restoration Book. Both books have lots of photos with text that will answer most questions someone has who is not familiar with AMCs. These books came in handy when I restored the front and rear suspension on my 68 AMX. Here some photos of the stage you are at:
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 8:28pm
Thanks, yes I have both those books, I can’t tell from you pics, is the engine and trans in your car in these pics.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 9:39pm
No. The engine and transmission were out of the car when I restored the front suspension. Here is another photo of when the engine was out.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 9:04pm
If it helps any, with my 68 Amx currently sitting on the hoist the upper arms are also resting on the 'frame' with the suspension dangling (no shocks currently installed, if it matters).
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 6:25am
Thanks , I wonder if the shocks are enough to old it up off the frame . With the angle of the coils at the moment I can’t even get the shocks in place. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 11:23pm
I don't understand the mystery here -- the springs will extend to their fullest-possible length and press the suspension components down to maximum extension. That's what springs do.

The shock, if installed, will restrain total extension, that's what happens when you use a bumper jack, or frame lift. It squashes the outer shock bushings awfully, but seems to do no harm, I assume for short periods (tire change, car repair). 

For many model/years, the TSM recommends a piece of wood (2 x 4) between upper control arm and the control arm pocket to limit travel.

If there's no engine installed, you'll have to use a spring compressor to compress it. If there's an engine, you can jack the lower control arm up (block of wood under it) to compress it (watch for body lift) and get a shock in.

For strut-rod cars, you usually cannot install the the strut rod with the suspension dangling like that. It's been a while, but I think the trick is to keep the spring squished, assemble strut rod loosely, and only tighten it up when the full weight of the car is on the tires and the suspension is in operating position.

You have no strut rod in the photos; I personally would not drop an assembled car onto the ground (assembled with tires, etc) without the rod in place. With weight on the tire, the lower arm is under no load, but if you were to roll the car with no strut rod, that lower arm could bend at the bushing, collapse to the ground catastrophically and break parts and maybe your body.

Edited by tomj - Nov/28/2020 at 11:27pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 6:42am
Thanks, yes this is the first AMC car I have restored. It’s a learning experience for sure. I have installed the shocks and all is good now. Everything is the way it should be at this point. My error was not installing the shocks, at the time I did know they were the missing link I was looking for. Again I appreciate all the advice and knowledge I get from this forum.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2020 at 11:16pm
Ahh, got it. Yeah, better go slow and get it right. Glad it worked out!
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic