TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dirty carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 8:08am
The mechanic's description of the problem is completely valid, and really to be expected on these old cars with metal tanks. Tanks rust inside over time. 

My AMX was a southern CA car and the tank was very nice inside when I got it 22 years ago so I didn't line it then. Eventually though is started dropping really fine rust particulate, and some of it was fine enough to make it through the fuel filter and then start to sediment in the bowl and metering block passages of the carb, causing it to run poorly. 

I could completely dismantle the carb and clean it out, but it would start to build up again right away.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

Why not take her top off and get a good gander.
In the carb I mean. Just take the top piece off, called the air horn, and look into the fuel bowl. Don't even need to remove the carb from the car.

I second that. Wait, this is a Holley, right? So it's that annoying side-bowl crap. As soon as you pop the cover the gasket shrinks to uselessness. Being sideways it dumps gas all over the place. I won't offer my opinion of the design.

Been messing with those carbs over 30 years in circle track,  and longer than that privately .
You soon learn it's no problem to just have a little can handy, take out one of the bottom screws in the float bowl,  and drain the fuel in the can.  Then take the bowl off .
I personally don't have no big problem with those gaskets,  but there's plenty of aftermarket gaskets out there that can be used many  times.
Since those are the carbs required by the track rules,  I saw no point in complaining,  I just learned how to work with them.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 1:31pm
When I started using holley's back on the 70's I used a cap from a spray can.
Cut 2 V notches 180 degrees apart. Put one notch just under the bowl and the other notch for the screwdriver.
Then I'd just squeeze and pour it back in the bowl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic