TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

76 Hornet PB conversion.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forcd ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Hornet PB conversion.
    Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 10:58am
I have man. front disc. on my hornet now, looking to convert to power brakes. Looks like it needs a booster that angles up so the MC can clear the spring tower. I see diff boosters show as the correct one, wonder if someone has a pic of the correct style. I see stuff for up to 74, then 77, but no 75-76. 
Thanks   
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 9:45pm
I have a '76 Hornet parts car in the yard.
I am pretty sure that it has power brakes.
I grabbed the disc brakes, and installed them on my '66 Ambo...but I never touched the MC.
I will take a look tomorrow, and if it's power, then I'll snap some photos for you.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 6:32am
You will need PDB booster AND master. You can't use your current one with a booster.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 11:29am
Will a power mc work with non power disc? I was told they are the same. If not, i might be interested..
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 6:37pm
Rock Auto appears to have the PDB booster, and a master, but you would still need the mounting bracket.
You could probably swap in a PDB booster, master, and mount from a Concord/Spirit.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
forcd ind View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forcd ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 7:56am
I am guessing the booster has to angle upward, or even offset to miss the spring tower. I would imagine the diff bet. MC's for power, non power is piston size. If I could get the man. brake pedal easier to push, might keep that. Maybe a smaller piston MC, and diff pedal ratio might help. Not sure if anything was changed on this car, suspect disc might have been added. Some cars have the residual valves in the MC, some in the dist. block, sounds like the Hornet has them in the MC.
I just dont know what a PB booster looks like in one of these cars, how it sits.  
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 2:47pm

Disc master has a different bolt spacing to the drum one. I initially got a master that unknown to me had outlets on both sides, that didn't fit either. I think the mounting bracket is specific to the small cars so that the booster sits in behind the spring tower. 

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/31/2020 at 2:50pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 4:59pm
There are two boosters.  The early one sits level and the master outlets face the passenger side.  The 1975/1976-ish and later one angles up and the master outlets face the driver side.

I don't believe you can interchange parts between the two. 

With manual brakes, the pushrod is a separate piece but with power brakes, the pushrod is part of the booster.  You may even need to change your pedal as not ALL pedals are drilled for manual and power rod attachment.

Generally speaking, you need to keep like era parts with era parts. By this I mean you probably can't use an early pedal with a 1976-and-up booster.  I know for a fact you can't use a later pedal with an early booster.  Angles have changed.

If you can find yourself a Spirit, Concord or even an Eagle with power brakes, GRAB ALL THE GOODIES.
Typically, you can do the swap yourself in an afternoon.

Picture above is the "early" booster & master.  Picture I've posted is the "later" master. My stuff came from a Spirit GT and bolted right into a '75 Hornet.  BUT, I used everything from the GT: pedals, booster, master.  All later stuff.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Oct/31/2020 at 5:02pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic