TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Maricopa County '74 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryS32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maricopa County '74 Javelin
    Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 10:01am
I am sad to say,I am out of the late 60's and early70's muscle car game due the prices and car quality.  I just bought a killer 2005 Mus*ang GT.  However, in Maricopa Arizona, I was about to buy a this 74 Javlin for 11K before I backed out.  It's a drag/street car that has a built 401, 727 with Hurst, AMC locking rear end (not sure if its clutched, welded, or spooled), Induction hood, RWB paint, great interior, rust free body, older Centerlines, lots of sweet mods. It has a salvage title because it was stolen, but appears damage free.  Set up as a drag car.

https://www.newworldsalvage.com/copy-of-inventory-1?light=Item-kae8j34z - https://www.newworldsalvage.com/copy-of-inventory-1?lightbox=dataItem-kae8j34z
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 10:26am
I'd like the put a big caution out there for anyone considering buying a damaged muscle car.  Some states have adopted new titles the allow the legal transfer of ownership but PROHIBIT the car from ever being on the road again.

The non-repairable salvage titles will never be driven on the roads again and can only be sold for parts, while the repairable salvage titles, or rebuildable as it is called in Florida, have another shot at life.

Make sure you know what you are getting into!!!!   I know a guy that just got burned on a exotic car like this, but fortunately he is a dealer and uses the dealer tag to drive the car....but most of us do not have this option........
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 11:24am
didn't go through all 104 pics, looks to almost be a reasonable price. 
and starts with no key!
in my experience, AZ is pretty liberal with what's allowed on the road. 
i have 2 cars with salvage titles(71 jag and 79 concord) plated, registered and on the road. 
may have to go check this one out. 
this also looks like a car that was for sale for a long time. 
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 11:28am
Ross, Do you have a list of states  "cars can never be driven on the road again" with a non-repairable salvage title status?

In California use of a dealer tag on a collector car can arouse suspicion with the CHP. The state wants to collect sales tax and registration fees on vehicles using California roads. Plus, the vehicle must be insured.  Technically, the dealer tag can only be used for business, so I have been instructed. Can the vehicle with the dealer tag always be used for advertising your business....grey area. If you get into an accident with a dealer tag on your vehicle and the insurance company finds out you drive it everyday, you might be in deep do-do. If the odometer is checked and thousands of miles has been put on the vehicle since acquired, watch out for what hits the fan. I once put 7,600 miles on a new Silverado Ext Cab 4x4. The dealer had to sell it as a used vehicle according to California law. Back then, 7000 miles was the max allowed on a vehicle sold as new. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 3:25pm
My friend was in Florida.....I hear this is also in Texas.  Every state has various types of Dealer Tags, some are Used Car Dealer. New Car Dealer.......my brother uses RT (Repair/Towing) tags in Pennsylvania, which are fully insured under his business.....no mileage issues.  The RT Tags in PA are not tied to VIN, so there can be wiggle room........every darn state has different rules, but I was just trying to make folks aware. Another friend in Florida bought a Non Repairable Shelby GT500 and is building race car out of it, so he bbought cheap and doesn't care.  i understand the NON-Repairable title was created to keep people from skipping the car through states after large insurance claims and coming out again with the damage identity clear on a new state different title....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 5:00pm
In Australia we have a repairable and non-repairable system as well, but I believe there is an age cutoff so that it only applies to newer cars. There is a set of criteria the insurance company applies to determine which category the car goes in and it is based on the type of damage rather then the cost of repair. I parted out a SRT8 300C, which had had an interior fire because the rules stated that if more than say one square foot of the roof lining was burned, it couldn't be relicensed, this car was pretty toasted inside but the exterior paint wasn't damaged at all, so could have been easily fixed by replacing the interior. The intention is to protect future buyers from repairs that might have longer term consequences to the safety of the car. Always a good source for a cheap race car project though.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 9:30pm
Beware...they advertise this as a “404” engine and the VIN has a “H” code (304) so my gut impression is 404 is a misprint and should read 304. 
JerryS32 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryS32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 10:08am
I went and saw this car, it is a factory 304, but the block has the 401 stamp on it; the car is in great shape.  In Arizona you can get a restored salvage title and its street legal.  I don't think it would be difficult to get this car on the road. I was going to buy it, but the $11K was too high.  I bought a 2005 Mustang GT instead for half the price.
JerryS32 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryS32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by JerryS32 JerryS32 wrote:

I went and saw this car, it is a factory 304, but the block has the 401 stamp on it; the car is in great shape.  In Arizona you can get a restored salvage title and its street legal.  I don't think it would be difficult to get this car on the road. I was going to buy it, but the $11K was too high.  I bought a 2005 Mustang GT instead for half the price.

With that in mind; I will be leaving this forum, but this sight is awesome and I love Javelins.  I will be joining the S-197 Mustang website.  Keep these beauties alive.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by JerryS32 JerryS32 wrote:

What do you mean "but the block has the 401 stamp"? The cubic inch size of the block was cast and has raised numbers, not stamped numbers. See photo: 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic