TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I learned about Dana 35c and 44 last month

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I learned about Dana 35c and 44 last month
    Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 12:57pm
2004 WJ I bought from Dad's estate after he was killed. Was looking for reasons the ABS light might be on all the time and was pulling wheels to check for wires, sensors, tone rings, etc. (they were perfect) and when pulling the right rear rotor off - it was stuck but also gooey on the back. Oops, black good - hypoid lube. Axle seal. 
I tried to get info on it and people kept saying Dana 44. No, I have the build sheet after plugging the VIN into a Mopar web site and it says plainly Dana 35C  - so several people say "oh-oh, Dana 35 has the C-clips in the housing you have to pull to remove axles"  others said no it's a 44, no clips, here's the part numbers for the bearing and seal. Others said, no, the 4.0 has the 35, others say no, 35C
Well, the axle wasn't coming out - and I got stubborn and wrapped a chain around the hub and chained a large slide hammer to it and kept at it until my hands were sore - if it's a c-clip then I'll either know it - or break it. It not, it's going to come out. 
The axle finally slid out. No clip. 

Dana 35C uses the same bearings and seals as the 44 and has no c-clip holding the axles in. 
Dana 35 DOES have c-clips holding the axles in. 
The 44 was used on the V8 Jeeps, the 35C used on the 4.0 Jeeps in those years (WJ)

But it took about half a day to get it all figured out and apart. 
Not bad for 127,300 miles and 16 years, eh?

Now if I can find a CODE READER that will actually read the WJ ABS codes! So far, no joy. They are a unique animal. Other code readers that do read vehicles of that era won't do the Jeep. Only 2005 on for Jeep. 
So no ABS. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic