TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ohm question for fuel sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohm question for fuel sending unit
    Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 2:16pm
Hi All,

1973 Javelin AMX 360,  New fuel tank sending unit.  Ohm reading at empty is 92 ohms.  Reading stays consistent (dropping) until about half way through the range as you head towards "full"  At about 32-35 ohms (about 3/4 of the way to full)  the ohms start spiking up and down like crazy, as high as 295 then back to 24 then back up to 200 and so on.  

Anybody got an idea why this would be?  Haven't installed it yet, 2nd one I'm trying.,.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 2:52pm
"That fuel sending unit I bought from you is defective, I'd like to return it for a replacement".
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 2:56pm
Hi,

I think your talking about your original sending unit. Varnish and wear on the resistance wire can cause a reading issue. Though the wiper arm may very loose. The unit is not that robust. My 71 sender is fairly easy to whack out of spec, from rust and wear.

A new unit can be adjusted to work well, just you will need your original to use as a template on rebends, and adjusting the ohm range.

Note, you can carefully remove the original resistance board from the unit, the opposite side is usable, as long as the wire is not damaged. Be ultra careful, as the wire is somewhat free to be shifted about on the board. Too much shifting will place resistance out of whack. The winding is close but never truly touching in most of the length. Some are more spread out near the end.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 5:54pm
I bought one of the new ebay stainless steel senders like I think you are talking about.....
Adjusting the empty or full readings you can bend the Stop tabs for some adjustment,but  seems somewhat high but maybe still possible to bring it down to the 73+  - 13??? .

As far as the erratic readings in middle look at where the wiper drags across the resistance wire board. On the one I bought it was coming off a bit in the skinny part and was erratic like yours. I took a chance by bending the wiper to where I'm satisfied with it now.I will try and post a picture for you

Edited by JD - Oct/23/2020 at 10:38am
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 6:06pm
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 6:08pm
You could always send it back too like was said . Mine was for a 1970 so maybe a little different but not too much I don't think. You said this is the second try maybe third time will be the charm ....how bad was the first one?

Hard to get good quality these days but I think if it was engineered a little better it would have been fine I think the resistance board is just too narrow or maybe just enlongate the slot on the board to be able to adjust it abit more to get wiper off the edge ... Not an engineer.......maybe over time they will revise it if enough come back but these days who knows 

Edited by JD - Oct/22/2020 at 6:42pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I bought one of the new ebay stainless steel senders like I think you are talking about.....
Adjusting the empty or full readings you can bend the Stop tabs for some adjustment,but  seems somewhat high but maybe still possible to bring it down to the 73+  - 13??? .

As far as the erratic readings in middle look at where the wiper drags across the resistance wire board. On the one I bought it was coming off a bit in the skinny part and was erratic like yours. I took a chance and got it to where I'm satisfied with it now.I will try and post a picture for you

From what I gather, the resistance board is wound a bit high on resistance. Which may be difficult to correct with very close to oem readings. I kept my sender for when I do start on one myself. Hard to tell with photo, but the resistance board may allow rewinding the wire, or allow for the original to be swapped out.

Though the wire needs to touch the sender frame as it's end is held in place. Being that it's a loose fit, as it is wrapped around.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic