TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LED headlights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED headlights?
    Posted: Oct/21/2020 at 4:49pm
Getting closer to completion on the 79 AMX and wondering what your experience is with LED headlights.  Since they are not cheap and there seems to be a number of suppliers, would like to know what your experience is.
Thanks for your opinion.
Victor
79 AMX-original owner, 304 (now 360) w/ 998
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2020 at 5:16pm
Once you have driven a car at night with a good set of LED's you won't go back. All my vehicles have LED's in them. If you buy cheap ones, the pattern might be bad which will blind oncoming cars and won't do you much good. I've had a set of Hella e code replacement housings in my car for years and finding the right LED bulb for them was a PITA because the LED bulbs messed up the wonderful pattern they had. I finally found LED bulbs that kept the pattern and they are well worth the money even though they weren't cheap.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2020 at 8:22pm
If they are not DOT approved, your insurance may not cover accident caused by them
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 8:21am
Mopar- "I finally found LED bulbs that kept the pattern and they are well worth the money even though they weren't cheap."
I don't mind spending $ for something that works properly - just don't want to throw it away on some high-priced wanna-be.
What bulbs did you end up going with?
btw, nice Javelin!  I had a 74AMX back in the day.  Was my first NEW car.  Plum with white strips and a white interior.

73hornut - I notice you have a 79AMX as well. Do you have LED headlights in it?  If so, which ones?

Thanks for you help guys!

Edited by 79AMX - Oct/22/2020 at 8:23am
Victor
79 AMX-original owner, 304 (now 360) w/ 998
88 GW
74 AMX-in my younger days. Plum purple with white stripes, white interior, 304, auto
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 9:03am
Unless you absolutely want to run LED, there may be an option......... 

I have a 72 Gremlin and I was not pleased with how dim the headlights were. I purchased a kit to run the headlight power directly from the battery through relays. It was very easy to install (no cutting and splicing required) and made a huge difference in the brightness. Kit are available for single and dual headlights.

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

If they are not DOT approved, your insurance may not cover accident caused by them

Highly unlikely since these are way better than any DOT approved headlight out there. The pattern is very well defined vs a more scattered beam. I don't think I've ever gotten flashed by an oncoming car because they're properly aimed. Our laws on headlights dates back to the 60's so it's as antiquated as sealed beams.

Originally posted by 79AMX 79AMX wrote:

Mopar- "I finally found LED bulbs that kept the pattern and they are well worth the money even though they weren't cheap."
I don't mind spending $ for something that works properly - just don't want to throw it away on some high-priced wanna-be.
What bulbs did you end up going with?
btw, nice Javelin!  I had a 74AMX back in the day.  Was my first NEW car.  Plum with white strips and a white interior.

73hornut - I notice you have a 79AMX as well. Do you have LED headlights in it?  If so, which ones?

Thanks for you help guys!

Thank you for the compliment. Smile  I'm using a sealed beam conversion headlight that I was using halogen bulb in but now it's LED. What you would need is one of these https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/sealed-beam-headlight-conversions/width-in/6-000-in/oem-headlight-number/h4656?N=oem-headlight-number%3Ah4656&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending and then put an LED bulb in them. The LED bulbs I found to work well are Philips X-tremeUltinon LED gen2 Headlight Bulbs that are designed to be used as retrofits.

There's definitely some weird looking LED headlights out there and most look like cr@p in an old car.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

Unless you absolutely want to run LED, there may be an option......... 

I have a 72 Gremlin and I was not pleased with how dim the headlights were. I purchased a kit to run the headlight power directly from the battery through relays. It was very easy to install (no cutting and splicing required) and made a huge difference in the brightness. Kit are available for single and dual headlights.

I added the head light relays to my 81 F100 and as said day * night between them.
Mine is for the 2 light and got it thru LMC truck
Now 86 K5 Blazer had 4 light system so if you look at LMC in the Chevy part you may find a relay kit for the 4 light system but not sure as I have not looked.

I am told by the Ford guys you can find them on Ebay also.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 4:20pm
I have halogen bulbs and rarely drive after dark. Good enough.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 7:29pm
Saw these today.  Prices are coming down some.  I know nothing about these except they're 7" replacements.  The place sells semi truck parts.

Bob
tufcj 
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic