TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Front Radio Speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX Front Radio Speaker
    Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 4:53am
Hi Guys:
My 1968 AMX is in need for a front radio speaker.  I do have two rear speakers but I would like to put one in the front behind the front center bezel.

Does anyone know exactly what size and Ohms speaker I should be looking for?

Also if you can recommend a brand or source of supply that would be great.

I am not looking for a NOS or NOS-like speaker and would actually prefer a modern speaker.

The Radio it would be connected to is the AMC AM/FM radio which was an optional item above and beyond the AM radio.  It still plays quite well, especially the AM side.

Thanks so much!
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 6:09pm
Don't know the ohms, but saw replacement speakers at AutoZone, 4" x 10" ?

This page has interesting info on old car 4x10's and importance of having 8 ohms.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Sep/09/2007 at 6:18pm
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 10:20pm
Hi Phatty!
You always come thru with the good data!
That Electrotech site is impressive.
I think I may go with their product.
Hey, how is your engine coming along?
Thanks
Art
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2007 at 2:33am
Looks like today the new motor will be getting dropped back in the engine bay.

Also need a new 4x10 speaker, and may get one from them also.

My birthday is Wednesday.
Maybe will get to start the 2nd new motor and do break-in run that day.

Cool

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Sep/10/2007 at 3:47pm
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2007 at 11:16am
You can also purchase a 4x10 speaker adapter that is designed to hold two four inch speakers for a stereo affect that would sound a bit better than one mono 4x10..
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2007 at 12:44am
Well guys... I am concerned with the total ohms requirement so that adding two 4" 8 ohm speakers would be stretching an already sketchy situation. 

As it stands now, I have 2 8 ohm speakers in the rear and this new one in the front would be the third.

The power out transistor on the old AM/FM original radio is something I am worried about.  I may put in a switch to select front only or rear only and not both as the three 8 ohm speakers will indeed put a load on the power transistor.

My Two rear speaker are mounted behind the carpet (not cut thru) and they sound (as you would expect) a bit muffled and bassy.

These old radios were not designed for 3 active speakers without some sort of fader to control power draw.  And that is an option as well.

I would hate to fry my old original AM/FM as it would be very expensive to replace or fix.

Does anyone have any experience with installing a fader or a resistor to limit the power draw of three 8 ohm speakers??

Edited by 12Gauge - Sep/11/2007 at 12:44am
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2007 at 1:18am
Check out Radio Shack. There used to be "networks" you could add that would simulate the proper load to the head unit and allow you do add various combinations of speakers.

It's been too many years since I've dealt with anything less than contest-grade stereo equipment........... meaning my last car audio system cost me well over $3500 bucks (that's the part I kept track of and had receipts for) and included 2 head units, 2 amps, EQ, subs and 10 speakers with 2 pair of  cross-over networks. (and dang heavy wiring and circuit breakers)

But I think you care correct in your concern...... I do believe there are solutions on the market.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic