TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

supercharged flathead six

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: supercharged flathead six
    Posted: Oct/08/2020 at 7:04pm
I've been itchy for a new [ foolish ] project, was thinking about more modern engines for the early American chassis. My built 195.6 OHV is still great, only 35,000 miles on it, no problems there.

I've come to my senses though and decided I'm gonna build the L-head six I got from a forum member, Andy L., can't recall his forum name. He's not been on for a while I think. He's got a '58 American, this engine was a "spare" for the rebuild of that car.

He also collected a Mazda Roots-type supercharger, used, but clean and great condition. It's a good fit for this motor. I assume I will be running 5 - 6 PSI max, pending research.

Clearly they need to go together. FARNA did the basic math, with modest boost if I'm lucky I'll get from the flathead all the power of the OHV, with twice the complexity.  Sounds like a plan to me.

I inventoried my parts, notes and tools, and decided this is a go.

It's a great physical package. The engine is 24" long (as short as a lot of 4's). I think it will live on the driver's side, parallel to and level with the head. I'll use EDIS or Megajolt/Megasquirt (though those two are very different) so there will be no distrib there and of course the exhaust is on the pass. side of this engine.

Fuel setup is almost certainly going to be blow-through, boxed, carburetor, because nothing else will work with this engine. It's a trough intake of profoundly primitive dimensions. This is a 1930's engine. There's four right-angle turns from the vacuum cleaner hose sized into hole to the valve.  The intake trough is boxed in by water jacket (strange). Down the hole the fuel must go. I've been constantly searching for usable 150-ish HP throttle-body setups, nothing I can rely on. Blow-through carb is my least-favorite method. Maybe something else will come up in research.

COOLING: it's common knowledge (and obvious when you look at all) that exhaust heat retained in block and head is a huge problem. But! I have a plan, man. My roadster's 195.6 OHV has a very sophisticated two-pump closed-loop all electronic cooling system no thermostat, no belts. I figured out how to drill the head to get at, and open up slightly, the head and block coolant passageways, so I will add a three-hole manifold and drive "cold" coolant straight down onto the three siamesed exhaust port pairs, down into the block, and then closed-loop it.

I've got a bunch of nifty parts, a 1965 crank that's good (I'll have it checked and turned).

Stock cam is all that's available, and under the new circumstances the cam won't be the limiting factor.

Just bought a new oil pump (no way I'll ever use a use oil pump in these engines).

Edited by tomj - Oct/08/2020 at 7:40pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2020 at 8:04pm
Some photos. These are NOT how it will mount or look, they're just for my own eyeball proportioning. THe throttle is inconveniently in back, barely a PITA.

Here I just sat it on the head, on the block, for a look-see. Size, depth, etc. It obviously can't live there. The pulley will have to be changed to something narrower, but it's probably within 2" of lined up with the harmonic balancer. So it's plenty off the firewall.

Very crude and preliminary packaging look-see. The height is sorta what I'm thinking, obviously the thing would bolt close to the block, as indicated. Coolant and oil plumbing very straightforward here. There's a weak water::oil heat exchanger built into the bottom of the supercharger, probably more for warm-up purposes, than cool-down.

It's a really short motor!! The alternator will go down low on this side of the engine, which is where I've put it on my roadster. A small Mitsubishi 35-amp. It will be the only v-belt.

I will fabricate an exhaust manifold, that will also get some heat out/away from the block.

Here are two of the three siamesed exhaust pairs. The coolant passages are small and crude. These will get opened up, and I will find a/the path so I can tap the top of the head to make the manifolding for forced coolant downward (into those holes). The head will have it's own (electric) coolant pump.

That big outleft on the right will run to the intercooler, probably a good idea even for 5 psi, and I have the room, then to the carb or whatever ends up on the head. The other big hole (left) is I assume waste gate, it dumps back into the charger's inlet, same smallish chamber behind the butterfly, left.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2020 at 8:09pm
It will get crankshaft spark, electronic cooling as mentioned, and full-flow oil filtration and, importantly, oil cooling. The crankshaft spark also solves a lot of packaging issues, by ditching the distributor.

I'm not happy with the pressurized carburetor box, but at low boost, low power (I'm assuming 130 - 150, and 150 is probably foolish) it shoudn't be too hard. I've read about boost-compensated fuel pressure and all that but have never seen it. It's not high-tech any mroe though.

Gotta start cleaning parts.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2020 at 9:19pm
This is CRAZY COOL Tom! I'll be watching this build to see how you figure things out as you go along.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2020 at 8:17pm
Looking forward to seeing this move forward.  Your project reminds me of a young mechanic that worked with my Dad when I was a kid.  He was turbo charging Willys Jeep 4 bangers with Corvair turbos. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2020 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by kenoshakicker kenoshakicker wrote:

Looking forward to seeing this move forward.  Your project reminds me of a young mechanic that worked with my Dad when I was a kid.  He was turbo charging Willys Jeep 4 bangers with Corvair turbos. 

Haha that's nuts. Those are the best projects! 

Dropped off the block, head, oil pan and a few other things for boil out and crack check. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2020 at 7:26pm
Welp, that block is junk. Six substantial cracks. The bores were standard size, not overbored, with little taper. I should have known there was a catch -- it seems most likely that someone ran it hard and hot.

I've already located another, and will fetch that, scrape it clean and all that, and try again.

The head was good at least.

AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2020 at 3:35am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Welp, that block is junk. Six substantial cracks. The bores were standard size, not overbored, with little taper. I should have known there was a catch -- it seems most likely that someone ran it hard and hot.

At least you found out early!

Neat project. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic