TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

heater valve thread sealant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 9:32am
Originally posted by 69Auto290 69Auto290 wrote:

This is kind of like what constitutes a "pretty girl" - various opinions based on personal experience.

I used to have all sorts of threaded pipe leaks (house plumbing) until I read Peter Hemp's books and learned the teflon tape and pipe dope trick.  I also switched from the thin white tape to the thicker pink tape and never had a leak since.   I also started using Form-a-Gasket in place of plumbers putty for drains but that's a whole 'nother topic.

I bought 565 based on a recommendation in this thread.  I read the info from the manufacturer and it scared me - it sounded like it was a permanent bond once the air "hardened" it.  But, you're saying no issues removing after 565 sets up.  Is that with or without teflon tape or heat?  I plan to pass this car along and would hate to do something that makes someone want to piss on my grave at a later date (after they stand in line, that is).  I'd really like to be able to control the heater valve before summer - having uncontrolled heat pouring in when it's 90 out isn't too much fun....

The manifold is still on the block, it's in a running car.

The control valve in there now is hard as heck to move, and I bought a new one from APD.  When I tried to get the old one off, it didn't budge and I stopped - was worried I'd break it off.  That was with a regular open end wrench - I have since bought flare nut wrenches but haven't tried it yet.

I can't speak to damaged threads yet.  Once I remove the valve, I plan to look closely at them via an endoscope I have.  I'll know then what I'm dealing with, along with how easy it comes out once the initial hold is broken.

A stupid question - what in the world did the factory use to seal threads, knowing the part would have to be removed and replaced at a later date?

I hope I made sense..... I've been into the rum a wee bit this evening.....

I will say this, I have learned a heck of a lot from reading this forum, which is why I donated via paypal!  Now if I could only get it to say "supporter" because of that donation......

You guys are terrific.  Thank all of you.

Okay, this is based on my personal experience and should be considered an opinion.  When I first started using the 565 I'd tighten fittings as I had with tape.  That was a mistake.  565 is an anaerobic sealer, and cures in absence of air so it would cure in the threads.  I ended up with some fittings I could not disassemble without destroying the fittings.  Once I learned that I wasn't torquing lug nuts, I have had much better success.  As White70JavelinSST pointed out, you have to remember how pipe threads seal, the threads are tapered so that you end up with metal to metal interference which provides a seal.  In a perfect world this works fine.  But if either thread, male or female, is degraded, you will probably have a weeper.  565's strong suit is that it fills in damaged or degraded areas of the threads and gives you a leak proof seal without reefing on the fitting.

If you are uncomfortable using an anaerobic sealer (there are others beside 565), by all means use something else.  Whatever you do, chasing the female threads in a threaded NPT joint is always a good idea.

As to what did the factory do?  I have no idea.  As an example, if I get an OEM threaded part from a dealership for a current automobile like a temperature sensor or a oil pressure sensor, there will be sealant on the threads.  Aftermarket, sometimes you get sealer, sometimes you don't.  Here are two examples.

With sealer.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-ps157  

Without sealer:
https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Oil-Pressure-Sender-Units-p/mpgsn52.htm

I don't know if this helped or just muddied the waters but it's my best shot.

Edited by 6PakBee - Jan/15/2021 at 9:37am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
69Auto290 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69Auto290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 9:29am
I failed to update this as I should have.

The last thing I wanted to do was force the removal of the old valve and end up twisting it off in the intake manifold.  I'd rather put up with heater in the driving months than to have to park it until I had time to pull the intake manifold to remove what remained in the port from breaking it.

I took the car to my local garage and explained the issue and my fears.  I figured this guy had decades of experience, which I don't have (centuries of experience if you look at the fact he's in his shop 50+ hours a week).  

He tried to remove it, and it wouldn't budge.  So, he did exactly what I was thinking of doing but didn't have the gonads to try - he broke out the 24" pipe wrench.

That did 'er.  Once it broke free, out it came.   

He has a can of thread sealant.  No idea what it is, there is way too many smears on the can to make out anything anymore.  He simply put that on the threads, installed the new valve, and it's been fine ever since.

I'll have to ask him what brand/type of sealant he uses.  Maybe he remembers, but maybe the (rather large can - must be a quart or more) has been around for so long and so rarely used that he doesn't remember.  If/when I find out what it is, I'll post it.

Oh - he told me to bring it by often.  He misses working on the old iron and loves to every chance he gets.  Can't blame him after watching him pretend he was Gumby to install new spark plugs in a Nissan.
Dave@my69AMX.us
'69 AMX 290 Automatic
'73 Javelin AMX 360 Automatic
'77 Jeep CJ5 304 3 speed manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic