TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear sway bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear sway bar
    Posted: Apr/16/2020 at 11:35am
Trying to get comparisons between the stock rear sway bar and a addco sway bay. I have a 79 AMX V8 with stock suspension. Any one think the addco bar would be better than stock. I know there both 3/4" diameter. One thing I don't like on the stock setup is the leaf spring isolators, but I can eliminate those. What are your guys thoughts on what may work better.  Thanks
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2020 at 12:04pm
Not sure which member did a modified installation of an addico kit, which improved it's functionality. Hopefully they can give their input. The weak part of how the kit mounts the bar that makes it not so effecient. Minor changes to mount to the body, is what I recall, if I am correct. I think SC360Hornet did it or someone with a yellow Hornet posted his install mod.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2020 at 3:15pm
I've done the Addco kit on several AMCs now, and here's what I've found works best. On 2-seat AMXs and Gremlins, the bar is a tad too stiff for my liking, but it is just right on Javelins/Hornets/Concords, which have a longer wheelbase. To correct the issue, Addco offered (and may still offer) what was called an 'adjustable end-link' kit, which replaces the center spacer tube with a spring or combination of springs, which collapse or extend as you enter a corner. What this does is slow-down the reaction time of the sway bar, so you have a moment to get the car settled into a turn before the bar takes full effect. What is really nice about the kit is that a bunch of different stiffness springs came with it, so you can tune the bite of the bar to your specific liking, or if changing from sticky autocross rubber to street rubber.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2021 at 11:18am
I'd run the stock rear sway bar. Don't go to the stiffer Addco in the rear unless you're also using a stiffer (than stock) Addco bar in the front.
Frank Swygert
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2021 at 5:25pm
Every car is different and every driver is different. The stiffer sway bar can always be softened up (as said above) by replacing the center sleeves with springs. You can even use different spring pressures to find ones that work well with your car and your driving style. Or even use different durometer bushings to change the stiffness. In other words sway bars are tunable! Also keep in mind that over steer is way more controllable than under steer.
In the words of the late great Dale Earnhardt "it's better to have a little over steer than any under steer"
Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Every car is different and every driver is different. The stiffer sway bar can always be softened up (as said above) by replacing the center sleeves with springs. You can even use different spring pressures to find ones that work well with your car and your driving style. Or even use different durometer bushings to change the stiffness. In other words sway bars are tunable! Also keep in mind that over steer is way more controllable than under steer.
In the words of the late great Dale Earnhardt "it's better to have a little over steer than any under steer"
Dennis

Many years ago, my old Porsche 911 and my 280 ZX Nissan with semi trailing arm suspension suddenly went to snap oversteer, changing the rear tires' negative camber to positive, and reduced the toe in of the outside tire. As I was watching the rear end pass the front, Earnhardt's saying didn't immediately come to mind. Of course, Earnhardt was a better driver than I ever dreamed of being.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2021 at 7:49pm
Right on Dennis.
When it comes to suspension changes you mostly need to make a change like this and give it a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic