TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59' Rambler Heater/AC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 59' Rambler Heater/AC
    Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 11:58am
I used to have the hot water from the OHV plugged on both what I assume is the in/out.

I've looked at pictures under the hood of peoples 196 flathead/OHV but can't figure out how they should run. also, with the hood popped, looking at the firewall. pretty much the most top right you can get, there are another 2 ports, what I assume are an in/out. what could those be for? Ac?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 12:06am
These are for 1960 to 1965, but the 195.6 OHV and Lhead changed very little since your car.

Lhead head, I think the heater hose goes to "plug", upper right of the head.

(remember this is a PARTS CATALOG, so if you were to buy a new head from your friendly local Rambler dealer, this is what you'd get. The hole would be plugged since you're buying a new head component that came in an pretty Rambler box, not a used head with all the junk attached. It's still 1960 in the catalog! lol)

On the OHV, this ridiculuous-looking stack of junk ("valve 13.035", etc) screws into a 1/2" NPT tapped hole approx. the location of "plug", above. I'm pretty sure the Lhead has the same thing. The catalog page here doesn't have a separate OHV and LHE ("L head engine") implying that they're the same:
hot water comes OUT this port...

other hose def goes to "nipple" on the water pump
the water pump draws from the bottom of the radiator, and from the heater

probably the firewall hole stuff is in there somewhere. 

I'm def nerding out on catalogs during this time of plague. I think I know how to speed up browsing a lot. will try that out tomorrow.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 2:36am
woah thats going to come in handy double checking my work youre the man. hoping I can figure everything out. I loved this car since the day I got it, I'm honestly suprised and beyond happy I got that free flathead with 48k fired up.  the carter CF throttle body is like jammed or stuck and wont budge at all and my Holley carb off the OHV is too short and the throttle linkage hits the dang nut on the block.

as far as the heater goes, I know it's just an in/out, you think the plug off the block can go to either port on the heater? or would it probably flow from the top and drain from the bottom?

late night thoughts haha. 

Edited by 59SeattleSuperSix - Apr/01/2020 at 2:40am
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 12:23am
Yeah,the heater is reversible, there's nothingf directional in there. Plumb it as you please.

THe "original" heater valve is likely pricey or non-available. But there's cheap "generic" valves you can use that just hang off the hoses, you'll have to work out how to connect the cables. I used one in mine, was was easy.

If you got your hands full, just plug 'em for now.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 1:41am
first, thanks again Tom. 

I've been geeking over your site for the past week. I just noticed the doc page you sent me is on that site. I was checking out the mods you did on the OHV. Showed my dad your site and we've just been nerding out.

luckily I've got the heater control valve off the lhead and a an extra cable or two

I'm gonna shoot ya an email here shortly hope you're havin a good night
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic