TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lowering blocks - anyone use them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxhusband Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering blocks - anyone use them?
    Posted: Sep/05/2007 at 4:28am
Hi,

I am trying to alter the ride height in the rear of my AMX.  I am thinking of using lowering blocks between the rear axle and leaf springs as the easiest way of doing this.  Anyone do this? and what has your experience been?  Do you like them or hate them?  Do they make the rear end unstable?  etc.

Ken
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2007 at 5:35am
I was never happy with the lowering blocks available aftermarket, so I have made a few sets. I tool 3/4 or 1/2" steel stock and machined the locator and drilled holes so the U-Bolts passed through the blocks and tied everything together. These were for a late model (spirit) and I sold a set to another forum member who was building an SCCA car. I never noticed any problems with it, that car had a stiff suspension.

Aside from having your leaf springs de-arched this is your only other option to lower the rear.
AMO Newsletter Editor
Menace SS/AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menace SS/AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2007 at 7:51am

Ken
I did kind of the same thing on the rear of my Javelin as Kirkwood did. I used 2 1/2" wide (same as leaf spring) X 1/2" thick cold rolled steel plate. I guess to only difference is that my blocks sit between the U-bolts rather than having the U-bolts go through them.
My car feels much more stable at high speeds now than it did before lowering it.
Cheers!
Dennis  
My AMC Stable
1968 AMX (Craig Breedlove AMX600)
1969 SS/AMX Replica of(THE Big Menace)
1969 AMX 390,auto,Go Package    
1970 AMX 390, 4 speed
1970 Javelin 401(Big Bad Red)
1968 AMX (FOR SALE)
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2007 at 8:57am
I have used aluminum lowering blocks with satisfactory results. They have a center hole for the spring center bolt and a nub sticking out to simulate a center bolt going into the spring plate on the axle. They are also tapered to provide pinion angle. Lower center of gravity means better cornering. The only downside is that the car will bottom out easier, as the axle is closer to the bumpers. That would happen with any lowering system, because there is less axle travel left.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2007 at 11:55am
Lowering blocks can contribute to more wheel hop and axle wrap if you drive hard but they are very common and work just fine if you don't go nuts and drop it too much. The factory lift blocks on my Ranger added to the spring wrap so much that I ended up building a ladder bar to stop it.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2007 at 2:03am
I've had blocks on my American for years. The things to note; Make sure they are the right width for the spring and housing pads. Make sure things are tight! Not just when you install them, but after a few holeshots and heat cool cycles! If your springs are weak you will get wrap and wheel hop, but if your springs are weak you probably don't need blocks anyway!
  I put mine together before I was internet active and did not have cash, nor a source for new rear leafs, So, it actually is a set of standard worn leaves doubled. IIRC I doubled the main and seocnd springs only. It rides more in line with a modern car versus the soft sprung 60's norm.
  I get axle tramp or wrap on a holeshot, but not enough to break anything.
  Someday I'd like to redo it. It still is sitting on original rubber bushings of questionable condition... I also have bought a narrowed 9" housing for under.  Still need axles, looking at Mark Williams as they appear to be the best priced packaged custom length axles I've found. I'd be interested in suggestions, but that's another thread...Or should be...
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
amxed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2007 at 2:09pm
I've got lowering blocks on the back of our Nashf or the last 5 year & 20000 miles no problems with that car.
When I tried to put them on our 69 AMX there were problems

Problem 1
 The u bolts that came with the kit are /were for a larger diameter axel tube & they don't match the holes in the bottom plate that goes under the spring.
problem 2
If you have a 68-70 AMX with torque links you'll need longer bolts to attach them to the axel thru the bottom plate. be sure to check the grade marks on the bolts before running out & buying 4 at the hardware store.

Both problems are easy to solve
I was trying to do this the day before leaving for K-town this year  & just put it back the way it was & took the car to the homecomming
Blaine 

Blaine
68&69 AMX 37 Nash Cabriolet
66 Rambler Conv.48 Willys Jeepster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic