TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spirit Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2022 at 5:21pm
Small update. Since getting the car back out and on the road this spring, it has gotten the exhaust tweaked, new fuel lines run, and some little touch up stuff here and there, and less visible repair work. One of the things to fix was the turn signal switch wiring had a break in the column so it would only have brake lights at a certain position, I was going to replace the wiring but a whole assembly was actually reasonable to buy at my local NAPA. I replaced the switch myself after reading through a thread on this forum I found with the search function.

Also I *really* wanted the car to ride at the previous height of the rear but the axle was hitting the exhaust, and the front couldn't get that low with my wheel tire package. I already get into the fenders here and there. While I do want it lower, I'm happy with it where it is at.

As far as cosmetics, got some parts inside painted, painted my intake pipes, resecured the hood trim after almost losing it, and carpeted the door pods for the speakers.

As well, I dropped off the crank and block for the stroker build, waiting to see if time hasn't been too cruel to the parts. I have a 12cwt crank, a 93 4.0 block, comp 239 cam, and some +.030" hyper pistons. I'll go poor man on this, using the short 258 rods. I had big plans for a valve job on the 7120 head but improper storage turned that into a boat anchor. I've given the machine shop a fall deadline on all that, I will need to reuse the head that is on the engine, as well as most of the externals. Hopefully my EFI doesn't have too too much of a fit, or I will swap the harness to a 96-99 harness and tune with HP Tuners.
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
nudhistbudhist View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2022 at 5:22pm
Lastly, Thanks to those following, if there's anything in this build that you would like to see closer, let me know and I'll explain what I used/did and get a more detailed picture
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 9:29pm
Aaaand just when you thought I had forgotten about this, the not very regular update. Time has not been my friend, I need more of me to handle my stuff haha. The stroker engine is almost complete. The basic details are as follows:
-4.2 crank/rods
-4.0 pistons +.030" (hypers, I bought these many years ago)
-0630 head, gasket matched intake ports, ported exhaust
-LS valve swap 2.00"/1.50" with matching beehive springs
-Comp cams 68-239-4 cam
-Harland sharp roller rockers
-Big header

Those Harland Sharp rockers are a beauty

To run it, I do plan to go basic, I was hoping to use HPTuners but I haven't had luck finding the appropriate piece for that, they're all out of stock and discontinued. Nevertheless in order to do that, I would have to be using an OBD2 computer, so an engine harness was sourced from a 1997 Grand cherokee and parsed down to see if I could get it running. This will also add a reader plug in my dash that I can plug into with my Bluedriver OBD2 diagnostic device, reading on my phone.

After getting it laid out and powered up on a table, I laid it in the engine bay, and plugged in my junkyard 4.0 to the computer. Honestly, this was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it does have a few codes, and they will be permanent due to incorrect running gear (donor was auto and 4wd, this is 2wd and manual). But it does run, and seemed to have decent throttle response sitting on stands in my garage.

This is running with only the upstream O2 sensor, the downstream just tells the computer if the cat is working. I'm sure it is working wherever that crushed jeep is at, and I wish it continued success. Also, a plethora of other things are not connected and don't seem to bug it, but I did/will have to reinstall an ASD Relay. This will simply be in the form of a sealed unit installed under the hood beside the new PCM.

Also, if anyone has any cool suggestions for a coolant overflow bottle, I plan to replace my original with a custom one in the grille area, as well as relocate/replace my original washer bottle/pump.

Edited by nudhistbudhist - Feb/07/2024 at 9:41pm
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 9:32pm
Besides the new computer, the stroker will require more fuel, so an adjustable fuel pressure regulator will be added (I have it, just haven't mounted it yet), and a swap from the return style 4.0 rail to the newer style will happen. Injectors from a Dodge stratus at a higher pressure should do. To monitor this, I will need to see what's happening in the tail pipe. I picked up an additional gauge to match my lower pod, and tore it all apart again. I read a tip here that someone suggested ABS pipe, and it works PERFECT! I forget who said it, so I will not take credit for the plan.

The new tubes were set in place, mocked up and fiberglassed, still sanding out the bondo but will paint it black and reinstall soon.

Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 10:20pm
One other thing that has been done is almost full LED swap. All markers and signals are done, the dome light has been done and backup lights are done. All that is left is the headlights but I'm not sure which to use yet. I used Sylvania LEDs and grabbed a Grote flasher. The LEDs had a no flash condition, and simply installing this flasher with the tail on the fuse box screw sorted that issue. Lights are great, bright and little draw with no added resistors.

Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2024 at 7:16am
Nice project. Power increase should be fun..
Bruce in NW Ohio
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2024 at 10:01pm
Mini Update:
Gauge pods are painted, filled, reinstalled and mostly reconnected. More car wiring in progress

Also, started redoing the underhood harness today, wish me luck!
Before (I DO have the PCM wiring cover it was just not on for the pic):

Now:

I greatly overdid the wiring when I originally built the harness, so some excess wiring will be parsed and the OBD1 system replaced for OBD2. Currently the harness is laid in 2 places while I modify the layout slightly to change where some sensor wiring comes out of the main loom, and relocate the IAT sensor to the tube out by the filter. More little changes as well but I will highlight those after it's all in
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
yeticat99 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeticat99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2024 at 7:57am
Great project! I'm wondering what you've done to deal with the SKIM (anti-theft immobilizer) module on the Jeep PCM? I've got a Gremlin 4.0 project I'm working on. Previous owner installed the 4.0 with '98 Grand Cherokee PCM. The engine would start then stall almost immediately. I sent the PCM out for a SKIM module disable. The engine ran with the SKIM module disabled,but I decided to go with a Megasquirt ECU, so the Jeep module is sitting on a shelf. Let me know if you need it - I'd let it go cheap!

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2024 at 9:27pm
The jeep pcm/underhood harness I grabbed was from a 97. This was done because this unit did not have any power options, and was a regular old steel key.  I checked columns before cutting. I would really have LOVED to find a manual version but all the jeeps up here are auto/4wd
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic