TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BMI Aluminum Cylinder Head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMI Aluminum Cylinder Head
    Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 7:11pm
I am not in the know on 6-cylinder related parts, but saw this aluminum BMI head for sale in the swap meet area at the AMC Races in Cordova today. Guy that was selling it wanted $900 and said there were only 3 of them floating around. Anyone know the history on them?

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Sep/07/2019 at 9:28pm
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 9:47pm
Only thing I know is that I'd like to have it! Lol
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 10:11pm
If I remember correctly, that was a variation of the old Patriot head, that later became the Hesco head, when Hesco bought the exclusive rights to their (Patriot) 258 aluminum head.
Of course my memory isn't worth a darn anymore.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by g-man g-man wrote:

If I remember correctly, that was a variation of the old Patriot head, that later became the Hesco head, when Hesco bought the exclusive rights to their (Patriot) 258 aluminum head.
Of course my memory isn't worth a darn anymore.

g-man

Yup.. I was about to say the same thing.. good work g-man... 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2019 at 9:20am
LOL - didn't see this earlier. 

It's sitting in my shop on my bench, it will either go on my SX4 - which has a slightly built 4.0, or another 4.0 I have in my shop. 
(If I had another head like it, I'd put it on my 04 WJ)

I started a thread on that very head. I did a ton of research, found the shipping label on the box, contacted Clifford since the head came from there originally - as a prototype. BMI was the company that made the prototypes for Clifford and later made the HESCO heads according to the Jeep people. 
It's from Clifford - according to them, it's their design. 
It didn't do what they wanted so they sold the design to HESCO. 
The HESCO head is nearly identical. HESCO sold theirs for something like 1500-1800 if I recall correctly, according to Jeep folks.  Nice thing is that the VC rail is tall for clearance for roller rockers without a spacer - odd because I have rollers on mine with no spacer - just had to use my Dremel on a screw inside the cover to get rid of a tick tick as number 1 exhaust touched the screw holding a baffle inside the valve cover. 
Anyway, the push rod holes are also large enough to pull lifters up through, there's a lot more meat for porting - folks complain that the Edelbrock heads and others if you do much porting you break through. This was supposed to prevent that. It can also be mounted on a 258 without mudding in the water jacket. Has the mounting boss and holes for the 258 ignition coil, too.
Can be used on later 4.0 as it has coil pack mounting provisions. 
Wish I had another one. 

This is the word from Clifford - 
-----------------------------------------------

Yes, we made the cylinder head and later sold it to Hesco. They then sold it to Edelbrock.

We sold it because it failed to do what we wanted and that was to build off idle torque. It is only going to give you mid range and high end performance.

Use it

Larry 6=8

(Mid-range and high end performance - better for a CAR than a rock-crawling, river-wading JEEP, eh? So it will go on my SX4's 4.0 or the other 4.0 I have)

I know of one other on a Jeep 4.0 - a guy in the Jeep forum has it, he just bought the jeep, I think for the 4.0 engine and noted it had the BMI head on it. 

I have the box the head came in  - and it came from Clifford in June 2005 according to the shipping label still on the box (Clifford shipped it FEDEX in a Clifford box - head perfect fit for box)

The diamond with BMI in it later held the HESCO name - the diamond stayed the exact same shape and size, the Made in US above stayed exactly the same. 
BMI is in AZ and apparently cast and machined these prototypes, thus their name in the diamond.

This is the link to my thread here - 

Edited by billd - Sep/12/2019 at 9:27am
irnwkrkev View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irnwkrkev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 7:51pm
Old thread but interesting to me!

Bought a GenRight equipped 2000 TJ a couple of weeks ago with a supposed 4.7l stroker and Hesco head. 

The head is cast with BMI on it.  Called Hesco and they stated that it was the same casting as theirs but from a company in Michigan before they acquired it.  

I'm familiar with Clifford and the story in this post seems more likely to me.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

LOL - didn't see this earlier. 

This is the word from Clifford - 

Yes, we made the cylinder head and later sold it to Hesco. They then sold it to Edelbrock.

We sold it because it failed to do what we wanted and that was to build off idle torque. It is only going to give you mid range and high end performance.

Use it

Larry 6=8
----------------------------------------------

Sorry, but the guy at Clifford is BS'ing you about "selling the Hesco/Clifford head to Edelbrock"!! Never happened!! 
Edelbrock designed the 4.0L head because the Jeep guys (when asked) said they wanted a head that actually worked and one they could buy in the $1500 range because the Hesco head was close to $2000 at that time, and didn't work well down in the lower RPM range.      

We never had any dealings with Hesco or Clifford when the Edelbrock 4.0L head was being designed. That is 100% a fact!! 

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
irnwkrkev View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irnwkrkev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2021 at 10:51am
I believe that the head was sold from Clifford to Hesco, not Edelbrock.  Hesco said the molds were damaged and they didn't want to spend $50,000 to make new ones.  Hesco said that porting  wasn't necessary as the ports were cast larger.

The head makes plenty of low-end in the 4.7l stroker its on.  I'm thinking about a bigger cam  to improve the midrange.  Would like to be able to rev it to 5,500 rpm.

Edited by irnwkrkev - Nov/06/2021 at 1:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic