TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motorcraft 4 Barrel Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 11:25am
 I am fortunate this is the main body from the carburetor pictured earlier it was running excellent before restoration and it's the factory carb for my 70. I do have a couple of parts 4300's that have some corrosion, for long term storage it would be best to use some fuel stabilizing additive and run the carburetor out of fuel if possible.

J

AlexK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 12:09pm
Is this the corrosion / pitting Trader is talking about..? I have this kind of material break out on my carb just here.. I´m looking for a good throttle base for my 4300 or a whole carb, if someone wants to sell one, please let me know.

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 4:48pm
That probably started as pitting from condensation sitting between the throttle plate and the throttle bore. Then the pits get eroded over time with wash of air/fuel.
They are starting to make sleeves for carburetor bores to repair this on some older carburetors. Zenith one barrels from the 30's is one they make sleeves for now. It's getting to be a lot more common problem in the classic car community.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by AlexK AlexK wrote:

Is this the corrosion / pitting Trader is talking about..? I have this kind of material break out on my carb just here.. I´m looking for a good throttle base for my 4300 or a whole carb, if someone wants to sell one, please let me know.

Hello Alex,

My guess is that's a 1973 (D3FF) or 1974 (D4FF) AMC version Motorcraft carburetor.
Can you look on the driver side (left side as you face the vehicle at the front) of the carb base and tell us what it says? Also... What vehicle is this on? year / model / engine / transmission ?

Thank you...

Rich
Rich Corsello
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I used a Walker kit # 15410D about 6 months ago. It came with the good blue accelerator pump cup. I bought an extra kit at the same time, so I can say I would use that kit again.

Don't use a black pump cup.

Thank you for the information.  I have the carb off but have not rebuilt it yet.  I will order the kit you listed.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AlexK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2021 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Ram Air Rick Ram Air Rick wrote:

Hello Alex,

My guess is that's a 1973 (D3FF) or 1974 (D4FF) AMC version Motorcraft carburetor.
Can you look on the driver side (left side as you face the vehicle at the front) of the carb base and tell us what it says? Also... What vehicle is this on? year / model / engine / transmission ?

Thank you...

Rich

Hi Rick, wow you know that stuff...Clap its from a 1974, J10, 360-Auto.

Edited by AlexK - Nov/01/2021 at 3:38am
AlexK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2021 at 2:15am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Maybe I'm deaf dumb stupid and blind. I collected about 3 4300 Autolites for my 70 AMX. After 4 kits at about 40 bucks apiece, Helicoils for the screw in the base that was stripped out....and an engine fire after splitting a fuel line and not catching it after removing the carb after a dozen times or more.....I bought a Holley 600 vacuum secondary return.. was $205 including shipping. Got it in 2 days. Put on, engine started right up and I HAVE not laided a screwdriver on it for the last 5 years..not even idle.....maybe I got lucky....damn it starts and runs good....

I used the kit below on one of my 4300 running on a 401, Performer Intake.. Its running prefect, idle, warm up... no cornering or stopping issues, accelerates perfect. I have a wideband Air/Fuel sensor gauge, so I see what it is doing. I can even see how good the two stages of the Power Valve are working, lambda is going down then to around 0.85.
It´s a little bit lean at cruising speeds (lambda @1.05-1.15).

S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2021 at 11:33am
I just looked at receipts. I had bought 3 kits. $48 each. I was taking out the accelerator pump rubber within the second start up. That and I had fuel dribbling in the venturi nozzles at idle. After the 6th time taking it apart, i found that the bores for the accel pump were pitted badly and would take the rubber seal out. Pretty sure the fuel problem at idle was from that dumb dual setting at the needle valve. Like I stated earlier, I had the carb off the car maybe a dozen times. The last time, I split the rubber gas line at the carb...on the bottom. Didn't catch it. Started the car and a few seconds, it quit. Tried again and....backfire boom I had a fire. In my garage attached to my house. I had a fire extinquisher...it wouldn't put out a cigarette. Pushed it outside while still in flames.....get a water hose and get it out.....look and still see a puddle of gas burning on the garage floor.....a month later after my heart was back in my chest, I see from Holley, returned carbs. Wet tested and reboxed for $207 shipped. I pulled the trigger. Got it. Put it on and haven't touched it since. Set the idle speed once. The Autolites are in a box and I will maybe never look at them again.....
SC
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2021 at 1:28pm
I was mistaken on my Motorcraft carb part number.  It is a D4596.  Is this the same as a 4300?  My engine is a 360 with a 727 trans.  Carb nor engine ever replaced.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2021 at 4:23am

I have a wideband Air/Fuel sensor gauge, so I see what it is doing. I can even see how good the two stages of the Power Valve are working, lambda is going down then to around 0.85.
It´s a little bit lean at cruising speeds (lambda @1.05-1.15).

Lean at cruise is normal. Best fuel economy and emissions was achieved on 1973-1980 engines with EGR and oxidation catalysts by running slightly lean at cruise. They didn't start running things dead on lambda until three way converters came out in 1981 since three way converters are only effective at lambda. 

In fact, three way converters being so sensitive to the fuel ratio staying almost dead on lambda nearly all the time was a prime motivator for engines industry wide to adopt electronic fuel injection. We didn't adopt EFI for drivability reasons, not primarily...
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic