TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gear Vendors OD on a 73’ Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 5:17pm
The GV 727 AMC does not have the program module that I know of. An electronic controlled transmission can use the GV program module.
Apples and oranges.
If GV or aftermarket now has an electronic control module for a TV cable transmission, please post the site.
I'd certainly be interested in reading the specs and installation.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The GV 727 AMC does not have the program module that I know of. An electronic controlled transmission can use the GV program module.
Apples and oranges.
If GV or aftermarket now has an electronic control module for a TV cable transmission, please post the site.
I'd certainly be interested in reading the specs and installation.

I did not know about the speed control not working with non computer cars.

Though back 2004 when I made the decision to go with a GV, there was marketing stating it would work.

Here is a link from a site that I searched for 'gearvendors shift module th400' https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-catalog/overdrive-units/gear-vendors-chevy-a-gm-3-speed-automatic-trans
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 8:59pm
Before putting down big $$$, call GV and ensure the electronic control unit will work with an AMC 727.
The TH400 is a different transmission and the Chrysler 727 has a different tail housing as far as I remember from the AMC 727. The GV electronic control requires it to work with the tail housing governor on the Chrysler 727. I don't see one specifically for the AMC 727, though they may be the same bolt on unit.
Just check before writing the cheque.
Would be good if you could post the response from GV for the Forum.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 3:38am

Before putting down big $$$, call GV and ensure the electronic control unit will work with an AMC 727.
The TH400 is a different transmission and the Chrysler 727 has a different tail housing as far as I remember from the AMC 727. The GV electronic control requires it to work with the tail housing governor on the Chrysler 727. I don't see one specifically for the AMC 727, though they may be the same bolt on unit.

Ah, sorry I gave GM info... not thinking you were concerned about governor control. As far as I know the new GV units and controller don't use governors to control shift.

Some where in the info I read the controller reads data around 1000 times per second. I think the module hooks up to their speedo adapter with signal processing, engime vacuum port, to adjust down shift and upshift by RPM change. Taking samples and comparing them constantly. It's a pretty trick module, unlike a relay and switches. Can be programmed by the user for shift speeds, unlike just OD control.

Since it uses a computer it adjusts for small variations before sending a signal to the GV unit.

If you look carefully there is no electronic parts other than wires, speedo housing with special signal adapter, and control module. No governor swap. The speedo hole is plugged, and relocated using their speedo kit with a proper gearing for reading speeds from the gear vender output shaft.

The same stuFF is used on GM, just a different tail end adapter and speedo housing for GM fitment.

Here is the links from gearvendors site. A bit more clear on pictures but details are the same for both GM and Dodge TQ which is the same for AMC

https://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge3s.html

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/31/2020 at 3:48am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 12:01pm

I noticed the same thing with the Dodge 727 tail housings and no mention of AMC about two years ago on the GV website. So purchased a 360/TH400 out of a running 1973 Jeep Cherokee because needed the heads and exhaust manifolds and wanted to run a GV unit behind the TH400. Wasn't aware at the time, an adapter or machine work on the 390 crank was required. I had already rebuilt the 390. Even went so far to take the TH400 to my favorite tranny shop to change the tail housing. Learned the vacuum modulator had to be swapped for a 2-wheel drive modulator and the TH400 guts had to be removed for the 2-wheel drive shorter tail shaft. Good thing is the main case on a 1973 AMC TH400 has a speedometer port. The shop owner had all the parts and rebuild kit and quoted $800 plus tax, and more if he installed it in the AMX. Instead he rebuilt the '68 AMX's M12. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 12:23pm
Ok, so everyone seems concerned that the AMC tail shaft is different than Dodge. Since AMC th400 accepts a GM bolt patern tail shaft end, why would the AMC TC727 not be able to fit a TF727 tail shaft end? The only difference would be the tranny crossmember mounting pad location. It seems the easiest change to do to place the tranny in an amc, than to redesign to fit. If an amc tail shaft end is the same length as a Dodge, then that would make my theory correct. I just don't see AMC spending money on retooling already ready available tranny parts, when they have been careful bean counters since the 1970.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 4:23pm
FWIW, the tail housing won't even be used. GV has their own housing that will bolt to the main case. There are are 3 main lengths of 727 tail shafts. An 8",12" and the most common 18". Dave is changing his to an 8" so that with the GV unit, it won't be much longer than what the length is now.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

FWIW, the tail housing won't even be used. GV has their own housing that will bolt to the main case. There are are 3 main lengths of 727 tail shafts. An 8",12" and the most common 18". Dave is changing his to an 8" so that with the GV unit, it won't be much longer than what the length is now.

That's what I thought... just the info sounded like the tail housing was different in bolting on to a tc727 than mopar. Which I doubted, but had question. Thanks for clearing this matter up for the members who questioned. It's pretty much like the jeep th400 case, just swap out output shaft and bolt on the adapter for the GV unit.

Basically the Mopar GV unit should work just fine on AMC. In a way it was better for people interested in such units to have waited after 2004, like me. Major improvements, and the nicely setup controller.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 2:15pm
All,

Mopar_guy is correct.  

The kit GV offers utilizes an 8" output shaft (from a 80's Dodge truck, Van or RV)  The 8" shaft allows you to remove the (passenger vehicle) factory 18" tail shaft and housing and replace it with the 8"shaft and the GV adapter housing.  Once the housing is on, you simply bolt the OD unit on to the adapter housing.  With the reduction from 18" to 8" and then the addition of the adapter and OD, you will have a transmission with the overdrive attached, that is only 7-1/4" longer than the transmission was originally with the 18" tail housing.  In talking with the nice folks at GV, they indicate normally all that is required is some slight massaging of the transmission tunnel right where the OD unit bolts to the adapter housing.  Even comes with an output yoke.  Will have to see how the transmission mount lines up.  I'm sure it will need modification to assure driveline angles remain correct, and of course the driveshaft will need to be shortened.

The OD unit uses internal shaft speed to determine shift points within the overdrive.  If you look at the kit, there is a housing that has a speedo extension that reads shaft rotation and speed.  This is why they tailor the kit to your rear end ratio and tire size.  You can adjust the speed that the OD kicks "on" and "off", or in manual mode you can shift from gear to gear...

I think the simplicity is its biggest selling point.  I get they're expensive... but I'm trying to be pragmatic about the "real" cost.  How many hours and dollars are you going to spend working on a 700R4, AW4 or others to get it installed properly, built correctly and functioning perfectly.  The 727 in the car, is freshly rebuilt and functions perfectly.  It is an ideal candidate for this OD.  While I agree that you could get another unit to work for 2/3rds of the cost...how many hours will it take to get it there?  I love working on em' as much as the next guy....but I want to drive it, more than I want to work on it.

Edited by DMack - Nov/02/2020 at 2:20pm
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 4:29pm

All,

Just coming back around on this conversation, should anyone have interest.  I found an ad on Craigslist for a core 727 out of an 1983 Jeep 4x4 for $50.00!  Almost blistered my fingers getting the money out of my wallet so quickly.  The core included the transmission itself, the separator plate between the block and trans, flex plate and the torque converter.  Bought a rebuild kit from A & A transmission and a few hard parts that needed to be addressed and a TF-2 Trans go shift kit (again thanks to Mopar-guy for the recommendations)  All tolled I have just under $500.00 into the rebuild including replacing the output shaft with the correct 8" truck shaft.  The output shaft was an e-bay item for $175.00 and included the governor, parking gear and pawl. I also scored a 2" deep truck pan from the bone yard for $29.00...but I may have gotten ahead of myself there.  It may hang down just a bit too low.  Might have to rethink it once its in the car.

Here is a pic of the unit waiting for the Gear Vendors OD unit....  The 4x4 adapter housing and original output shaft have been replace with the 8" truck output shaft.  All other internals are the same. I haven't torn into a transmission in years.  I bought a very handy book and read it like 6 times before I started.  The unit itself is actually very simple. Get a book and refer to it often and you will be fine (Can't let the lack of experience intimidate you!)  Take your time, take pictures and take notes.

I'll update again when I have picked up the Gear Vendors Over Drive.

Side by side comparison of the original trans (bottom) and the trans with the modified output shaft and OD installed.  Just over 6" longer than the original.

There are some mods you'll have to make to the shifter to clear the actual OD unit.

The shifter arm had to be modified, as well as the base had to be moved up 5/8" to allow clearance for the shifter to move.  A bit of fabrication and a slight rework of the floor bracing was necessary to get adequate clearance.  The factory cross member worked fine, although I did have to elongate the transmission mount, mounting holes.

So what's the final verdict?  Its soooo nice to have another gear!  75 mph on the freeway at 2850 rpm. (25" tall 225/60R15's with 3:55 rear end gear).  You actually have 6 speeds if you shift through them 1st/1st OD - 2nd/2nd OD - 3rd/3rd OD.  If you leave it in drive it acts basically as 4 speed, with the OD engaging at 52 mph.  The OD engages very firmly, hits like it has a trans kit in it, but once engaged it's easy to do 75-80 mph.   Wiring is very simple, and the fabrication parts are about a 5/10 for difficulty.
Total cost was right at $3000 with modifying the new driveshaft, OD and new higher stall converter (I opted to add). Granted, not a cheap way to go...but ease of installation, great warranty and basically a bullet proof unit, it was the way to go for me.

Edited by DMack - Jun/30/2022 at 3:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic