TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gassing up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gassing up
    Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 1:41pm
Anyone having trouble finding a gas station without recovery nozzles? My '66 will not accept them, wondering if anyone has come across a tube with a flange to accommodate the newer nozzles. I'm getting tired of transferring from a gas can. I'd make one if I had the ability.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 2:05pm
Hmmm, that must be some tree-hugger hippie emissions type stuff. I don’t even know what a recovery nozzle is. 

In Florida we don’t have ‘em - you can still get non-ethanol 89 octane here. 
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 2:34pm
yep! definitely left coast tree hugger stuff! lol!
they were at a few stations here in AZ for a spell, i'd be had pressed to find a station with them now.
i recall having to really lean into the nozzle and hold it at awkward angles to get it to work. 

69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 3:18pm
About 6 years ago they had them in CT when I lived there I have not seen any here in NC.
We can even get real gas down here, could not in CT with out driving into NY IIRC and even then it was a hike.

IIRC you could not pump fast with the vapor type pump.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:01pm
Do a Google search on "vapor recovery nozzle tool"
They call it a "gas card."  Is that what you're looking for?
Bill O.
70 AMX
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 3:28am
Vapor recovery nozzles suck.

Hold the nozzle upside-down when you are filling.

I wonder if you could shove a rubber hose on the end of the nozzle to function as an extension without it tripping the auto shutoff function. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 10:06am
Here's a link with some photos of the "gas card" in action (motor cycle site). Would be easy to make one from sheet metal with a hole saw and snips. Or even from a piece of 1/4" plywood (can't carry in wallet, but easy for glove box!).

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic