TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuse Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuse Box
    Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 12:30am
Well here's what I have.
Everything works except my speedometer and tach lights.I took the instrument cluster loose and replaced all bulbs and bulb sockets.
I replaced the 9 amp fuse in the dome and clock slot.The courtesy lights come on and then go off and the gauge fuse blows (4amp.)Then I have no dash lights or running lights.
I replaced the 4amp gauge fuse and leave the dome-clock fuse out.Everything back but the coustesy lights. The coustesy light fuse doesn't blow but won't work when I put it in.Only blows the 4amp gauge fuse.
2 months before same thing(no instrument lights)Put Dome - clock light fuse in and coutesy lights would come on and then blow the dome-clock fuse. Not the gauge fuse.
Any Ideas??? think it's the fuse box.
Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 9:20am
Either that, or the plastic insulation wrap on some of the wiring may be worn or missing and you have a short someplace.
'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 9:31am
Thanks Mountainmoron.I hope I made sense writing the post.
I'll go through the wires.Man I hope I'm alive when I'm done.lol.lol.
I think you said it.Your never Done.lol.lol.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 10:33am
Cloudy,

You may have the the courtesy lights plugged into the cluster power circuit. Check your fuse panel. The terminals marked "courtesy" and "dome" should have red wires connected. The terminal next to the one marked "brake" is the cluster power. It should have a green wire plugged into it.

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention, this applies to a 69, but I believe the 70 is the same.

Edited by bigbad69 - Sep/26/2007 at 10:36am
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 11:11am
Corroded connections can also cause issues and blow fuses. On a car this old, could be brittle insulation broke some place causing a ground or a wire worn where it goes through a body hole, lots of possibilities. There's little in the "fuse box" itself to go bad if you think about it. Disconnect the accessories causing the issue and see if it still blows.
You can also use a powered test light to check the circuit - disconnect it from power and see if the test light lights (powered test light that is).
All electrical in a car is pure logic and pretty straight-forward.
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 11:56am
You guys are something else.I wrote down everything(couldn't print.Kids used all the ink) I'm going to do and look at everything you guys mentioned.
It's amazing you guys with all your wealth of knowledge.
I thank you and will give it a shot.

Pauls70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauls70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2007 at 11:35am
Cloudy:

Check out item# 230178780493 on E-bay, If you want a back-up to your fuse board. Happy biddingSmile
70 AMX-4 speed-412 service block-Ross Custom piston-Crane Roller cam-Indy intake-Edelbrock heads-Canton 8qt road pan w/ girdle-MSD-Hooker headers-roller rockers-rally pac- go pac-Ford 9"-60,000 mile
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2007 at 1:58am
Here's what mine looks like
The one on e-bay has pins straight across.Don't know if it matters though.
Thanks again Paul.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic