TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel sender gasket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2020 at 8:41pm
Like Ross said, it's an o-ring. Not cork, not a gasket.   The original had a square cross-section. Replacements are round cross-section which is better as they won't twist. If you can't find one, send me a message as I may have them.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2020 at 9:27pm
Thanks, for the offer, Steve,  Yes, I think it's a standard N-229 O-ring, which is 2-3/8 ID x 1/8" thick. The N stands for nitrile.  As was previously mentioned, it's the same as the mid-60s Mustangs as far as I can tell (as is the fuel sock) but NAPA here shows something completely different for the Stangs.  The correct ones are available any number of places and I was just trying to find one locally.  

We have a classic Mustang supply shop about a 1-1/2 hours from here, and also a Grainger warehouse, so I can always drive down and get one if I what I have on order doesn't arrive tomorrow.  I need the sock too.

I took the sender out of an old gas tank I had here to see if I could use the gasket of the sock from it.  Clean, one owner... worked when we parked it.  LOL

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

I found out the float was bad. It had a nice hole in and sank. 

I think galvin's sells a kit with float and o-ring for this purpose
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Clean, one owner... worked when we parked it. 

OH THAT LOOKS FINE JUST WIPE IT OFF.

lol

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 6:25pm
One of the reasons I ordered the ring and gas gauge sending unit off Rock Auto via FedEx ground for only an extra $5 was I figured I could get it in a reason time line. The tracker program says it should arrive tomorrow Tuesday some time after I ordered it Sunday afternoon. I ordered some new break hoses for my Matador coupe as I don't trust the 45 year olds on the car. They redid the front end but not the breaks , so they are on my list. But any way I ordered the gasket off Rock auto as the picture was the correct stock type square gasket as opposed to the round ones the AMC parts vendor are selling. I've used the round ones and they work poorly in my opinion. So, I'll let know in a day or or what I get. I am aware Tom of the repair kit for the fuel gauge unit with the new float , fuel sock, ring and gasket and new time I see an AMC vendor at an AMC meet I'll pick one set up, as the old gauge looks OK  surprisingly.  LRDaum  
LRDaum
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 11:28pm
My sender finally arrived today, 2 weeks to the day after it was shipped.  That was 2 weeks from Los Angeles to Northern AZ, lol.

It looks very much like the original, but I had to bend the pick-up tube as it was bottoming out when I'd install the lock-ring.  When that happened, it would cause the fuel sender rod to bind in its travel as it was twisting the frame it was mounted to. Once I figured out what was going on it was a pretty easy fix, but I would turn the empty gas tank upside down to try to get a full reading and it would still show near empty.  My tank partially collapsed once from using a non-vented cap, so that might be what caused this.  I mostly fixed that a couple years ago by pressurizing the tank with compressed air, but it's still got a couple crinkles that the pick-up tube might have been hitting.  Anyway, the car runs fine with just a gallon of gas in it, so the pick-up tube now seems to be where it needs to be.

I spent a lot of time working on the calibration with the dash gauge.  I thought I had it perfect, but when I filled up the car tonight it still only read 3/4 full, same as the old one.  It's good at the other end of the scale where it matters, so I'm just going to live with it rather than drain and drop the tank again.

Here's the sender I bought (from E-Bay seller mcmproducts) and note the gasket is wide and flat.  I was a little worried about that, but no leaks tonight, even with a full tank.  Also, no more gas in the trunk, which was the subject of another thread I have going.

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2020 at 11:47pm
That one looks a tiny bit better than your previous photo. 

Nice too that you took the time to get the low-end of the tank to work right. A gauge you can trust at the low end, and actually pickingup that last gallon of fuel, that's the kidn of detail that makes for cars that inspire confidence. (Or years of regret had you skipped it, lol. been there, done that :-)

I have to cut some rust out fo the trunk floor and weld in new steel, so I'll take the tank out. I run a clear filter before the pump, and I see modest crud in it. The gauge is working fine, but while-im-in-there I know will expand to new sock, float, gasket, ... sigh. So I'll buy that stuff up front. Only needs doing once every 25 - 50 years.

bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2020 at 5:15pm
For what it's worth, I had the same issue with a new tank and sender on my 70 Javelin. Went to O'Reilly's and found a guy who was willing to help. He brought out a big kit of o-rings and we found an exact fit for a couple of dollars. I will look and see if I can find the part number somplace. It also helps to put a little lube on the o-ring if you want to disassemble it sometime in the future. Keeps it from sticking and tearing.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2022 at 12:49pm
If you are wanting to purchase replacement gaskets for the fuel level sending and fuel pickup unit,

I just received a pack of ten from Amazon for $7.68 plus state tax. Free shipping if you are a Prime member.

Description;
220 Buna-N O-ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 2-3/8" ID, 2-5/8" OD, 1/8" width (Pack of 10)

Web address;

These are just a bit larger in width than the vendors sell, which provides a more positive seal than the thinner O-rings from the vendors. Plus you have 9 spares for less money that it costs from the vendors and their sipping fees.
Bonus; There are packed in a zip lock bag, if you extract the extra air, seal the bag and store it away from sunlight, they will last longer than you.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Nov/25/2022 at 12:51pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic