TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowtr3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2021 at 6:59pm
you the man Tom
thanks
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 9:48pm
Just wanted to check although it seems right to have the arm of the pump be ontop of the cam.
The cam will rotate clockwise, and the arm of the url pump will ride the cam lobes, and I am guessing the arm rides ontop, because the shape of the arm is, well I think this part is hard to describe, the way the angle of the end of the arm is fashioned it looks like it will operate best if the arm is on the top side instead of putting it underneath.
I even tried seeing how it felt puting it on the bottom of the cam lobes but it didn't seem to wanna be put there.
I think I'm installing the fuel pump correctly, but just wanted to double check!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 11:15pm
The pump goes in only one way -- the odd oval diamond is short on one side, adn the two bolt holes limit it to one orientation.

Pump lever can be above or below the cam. I've seen both. Some pumps have a plan smooth lever, some have a little brass follower that slides on the lever. All sorts of crazy little variations, it's maddening. It's like they were experimenting as they went along...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

yellowtr3 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowtr3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 11:57pm
im good with the way the pump goes back into the bock and on top of the cam.
;look at the wear on the pump. wear under the arm means it installs on top of the cam.
my problems were that i have 4 ports, obviously 2 in and 2 out.
but witch one is gas in and gas out and witch one is vacuum in and out for the wipers.
it seemed to me that the car (not mine) had gas in but the gas out wa sgoing to the wrong place, and that was maybe why the car was not running.
but then the car had ran at some time past.
due to a home problem i cant live in my house, so my helping the guy next door is slowed down till contractors get me back home.

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2021 at 6:06pm
Yes, the wear I had noticed is on the bottom, and imaging it riding the lobes of the camshaft I was thinking it must go ontop, bit just wanted to check, also, I think my fuel pump has 4 ports for hoses to attatch to.... I'm trying to learn about the vacuum system as well...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic