TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 1:33pm
Also consider calling them on the telephone and ordering a claimed USA sourced
AMC stock mechanical fuel pump from BLASER AUTO Nash Rambler AMC in Moline Illinois
( 309 ) 764-3571

Also, only as a general observation, as this comes up on basically on a weekly basis,
with a second "cheap" pump purchase one will basically be $80 to $100 "in"
plus time & effort & grief, and suspicion / doubt of second pump's "survival"...
That's already 1/2 way to a USA Made RobbMC serviceable rebuildable AMC Mechanical Fuel Pump
Peace
https://www.blaserauto.com/

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/19/2021 at 2:43pm
Metman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 7:15pm
Just another thought...  Are you sure what you are seeing around the flange of the fuel pump is actually gas and not oil?   It's not uncommon for oil to weep from the vent hole at the top of the pump, and it could pool around that flange. 
1972 Javelin/AMX
1960 Nash Metropolitan
1963 Studebaker GT Hawk
1956 Cushman Eagle
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 7:57pm
I rebuilt my old Carter with a kit from these guys (semi-local to me):

The kit I actually got in the mail was shipped from these guys (I think this is the exact kit):

Installation was easy,
I'm hoping it likes the crap ethanol gas better than the old diaphragm did,

and I bolted a USA pump back on my instead of something "new" from Red China.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Metman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

The kit I actually got in the mail was shipped from these guys (I think this is the exact kit):

Installation was easy,
I'm hoping it likes the crap ethanol gas better than the old diaphragm did, and I bolted a USA pump back on my instead of something "new" from Red China.  

Yep, that's the way to go if you can. Thumbs Up  A rebuildable USA Carter pump.  I did that a couple of times with the Carter fuel pump on my Studebaker, just recently with a kit from Then and Now.  Good guys there too. They also have a series of videos on YouTube on rebuilding pumps.

Supposedly they are using materials made for today's ethanol fuels, so I'm hoping it will hold up same as you.  
1972 Javelin/AMX
1960 Nash Metropolitan
1963 Studebaker GT Hawk
1956 Cushman Eagle
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 10:27pm
I'm having increasingly poor results with professionally rebuilt pumps, mainly from Arthur Gould Rebuilders. Two in two years failed. One DOA, sent back and re-done (graciously) and one after a year and on the road. I don't think it's workmanship.

I've given up with them. I drive my cars often, so failure is very annoying. I'm switching to electric pushers and oil-pressure switches. Haven't figured out what to do with the wipers.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2021 at 11:17pm
tomj .. get your self a vacuum reservior , main feed is eng vac with 5 split off nipples to run your wipers . they will run better than they ever have , and have 4 other vacuum sources left for whatever .  got mine from VMS racing ... as for as fuel pump ... will never go back to manual ... low pressure 4 to 7 lb elec. pump solves all on a 6 popper . But stay away from edelbrock ones as they fail yearly ! Rock auto rebuild services are junk ... and most of RA electrical parts are too . new mechinicals are ok from RA but thats about it .. Put 4 step down V/reg for dash gauges ( gas , temp ) and none of them worked from RA ... found one in an old cluster and it worked fine .. some 52 years old and worked great !
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 8:47am
Called Blaser's and they do not have any American sourced fuel pumps available. 

I guess I will have to try the Delphi unit for now.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 12:05pm
1982AMCConcord - that is interesting to hear... was about 1 year ago when speaking on the telephone with Blaser Auto about AMC Fuel Pumps, with that phonecall being the information source of what I posted before.  So like everything else as part of the big new "plan" out there for all of us if we like it or not... I guess Blaser no longer has a source... wonderful this all is ain't it ?... 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

1982AMCConcord - that is interesting to hear... was about 1 year ago when speaking on the telephone with Blaser Auto about AMC Fuel Pumps, with that phonecall being the information source of what I posted before.  So like everything else as part of the big new "plan" out there for all of us if we like it or not... I guess Blaser no longer has a source... wonderful this all is ain't it ?... 

Hi Phat... They have a source and they're waiting on that company to make another run of fuel pumps. They also said the other AMC vendors use the same vendor... And that they "heard" that they also don't have any in stock. I'm going to call Kennedy American just for good measure but I have a feeling that it's going to be the same all around. 🤞🤞🤞
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2021 at 6:02pm
Alright well I did purchase the USMP16263 Fuel pump. I installed it today. I then let it run for about 20 minutes before taking it on a 3 hour drive. During that time I also stopped periodically and checked for leaks. I also checked again when I got home. So far so good. I plan to drive it again tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'll check back in the Spring once I have taken it back out of storage!

Also... Just want to mention... That the USMP pump box was marked as an ISO certified company... It is made in China but I did work for an ISO certified company myself before and we had to hold our work to a higher standard. I hope this company's certification actually means something in this case.

🤞🤞🤞

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Nov/06/2021 at 6:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic