TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fresh 401, Quest for Oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by jblue1555 jblue1555 wrote:

thats 10 more lbs at idle  than a friends new 304 cj 5 had new and had until he sold it.
Hahaha! Maybe they had a bad sender? If this was a 304/360, I'd run it til it puked, then swap with another. But with the cost of replacing a 401 crank, rod(s), and block(s) these days, I am pretty scared of damaging any of those. 
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Thicker oil is not a band aid.  10 w 30 is a bit too light for these old engines.  10 w 40 was the standard back in the day.  On the clearance for the oil pump, I stated side clearance not end clearance.  What is your gear to housing clearance ?   I have always run 20 w 50 in mine since I got it in 1992.  240,000 hard miles later, I rebuilt it because I was re-doing the car.  I replaced the original pistons and bored it for the first time.  The engine was Std. till then.   I had done a re-ring once and a couple of valve jobs in that time.  I put hundreds of passes on the original lower end and got a best of 12.91 at 108 Mph.  It had several cams over the years.  I added dog leg ported heads and Headman headers.  I flogged it with 3.91 gears for a couple of years and got it up to 157 MPH on the New York State throughway one time when the throttle jammed while passing a line of trucks.  This was on 3.15 gears.  It was over 6000 RPM for at least ten seconds that time.  All this with 20 w 50 synthetic from 60,000 miles when I bought the car.  You should not run synthetic yet,. till it's well broken in, but don't be afraid of the heavier oil.  Synthetic was good for about 8 PSI at idle over the same conventional oil.

The reason I mentioned gear side clearances, is that I had an issue with a brand new famous brand cover when I rebuilt my engine.  I bought the fancy cover kit and the fancy pump gears.  I checked only end clearance because the rest was supposed to be proofed by the seller.  After warm up, I had very low oil pressure at idle and only 30 or so on the Hwy.   I found this unacceptable and started measuring.  I found the side clearances way too high and the pump drive shaft sloppy in the housing bore.  I pulled out my old, 300,000 mile cover and set the end clearance to .002.  The side clearance was still under .002 with a few scratches.  I fired it back up.  Same gears, same pump cover and regulator parts, stock bypass in place.  I replaced nothing but the front cover, removing the brand new and installing the original.  All other parts are the same as before.  85 PSI cold start, 20+  hot idle and 50+ hot going down the highway at 2400 RPM.  After several miles keeping up with traffic at 3200 RPM and then stopping at the bottom of the off ramp, I still have a bit over 20.  With the brand new cover, the pressure would drop to 5 or so.
Poor choice of words on my part. Sorry about that, Steve. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were saying to half @$$ it. I also spaced the "side" clearance. I get asked about the end clearance so often, I glazed right over the "side" clearance part. Missing details like these is obviously why I am not good at building engines! HAHAHAHA!!!

OK, copy that. I would love to be able to run 10W40 with >15 pounds of pressure in gear, at operating temp. I don't think I have measured gear to housing side clearance since the first rebuild and even then, it was on a different timing cover. I will add this to my list of "Next checks". I pretty much always run dinosaur blood in this rig. I planned to change the oil around an hour of run time or 100 miles, hopefully after the rings have re-seated. Your car sounds awesome. Although 6kRPM probably was nerve wracking, I bet it sounded wicked to everyone else around you! 

That makes perfect sense (cover). With the gouges in my mains, the damage to my gears, and the scraping on my pump cover, there was something really hard going through my bottom end and it may have scratched the sides of the cover pretty heavily. I will check it soon. I envy your oil pressure.
Short term:
I ordered a new AC Delco, USA Made, 0-80 psi mechanical oil pressure gauge to check one more time. I don't expect it to read much different but one can hope.

Then I plan to pull the plunger and take a look inside. I will post pictures (probably not for at least a week or two). 

I have ordered a new freeze plug. That will get swapped when I check the plunger. I also ordered another set of $40 Remflex header gaskets so I can fix the exhaust leak. 90% sure I ground through a weld when I was port matching the headers.

Long term:
As I mull over my issue, I am fairly certain my problem is not in the bottom end. Maybe I had a problem or problems before but I am comfortable with my bottom end at this point. So that means either I am not making enough pressure/flow from pump/bypass problems or it's in my valve train. Right? 

Pump: We all know the pump/oiling system design for a mostly stock motor like mine is plenty sufficient. I will open it again, and check side clearance (if it is out of spec, the timing cover needs replace), end clearance (even though I just checked it, if I am going to open it, I might as well check it), and generally look around in there. Anything else?

Valve Train: There was no abnormal wear on any of my lifters. There was no debris IN any of my lifters. But one or more may have been assembled incorrectly and I did not catch it. I will inspect each of them again if my oil pump checks out OK. Push rods are standard chromoly Comp Cams Magnum pushrods with ball ends on both sides. There was no abnormal wear on any of them. Is there anything else I should check on them? Rockers had no abnormal wear, preload is at 2/3's turn, past 0 lash. Is there anything else I should check on them?
79 Cherokee, 401
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 1:56pm
Did you replace the lifters for #4???

What is your pressure at 2000 rpm hot?
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Did you replace the lifters for #4???

What is your pressure at 2000 rpm hot?
I did not. When I re-assembled, I rotated the crank and spun the pump at various positions and it "seemed" like it wasn't that bad but now I am second guessing myself. Especially since I did not video it and (from my other thread):
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

You probably have a lifter that was put together with the metering disc. upside down.  The peaks should go down with the flat side toward the base of the pushrod seat.  I have to take all our lifters apart and check, because about 20% are not correct.  The lifter will still function, but it will pass excessive oil if the disc is wrong.  Gott'a love the quality of new parts! 

Not sure of my 2000RPM hot pressure. I have not brought it back up to Operating temp. I only really focused on cold and hot idle pressure. 
I had a few mins to tinker the other day so I decided verify my timing again. I hooked everything up to verify my dizzy is at 0 (computer controls my timing). It was. As I was putting the timing light away, I noticed the delay knob on my timing light was not at 0 (it was at about 15). AngryOuchConfused I never use that knob because I tune my timing on my laptop so I rarely pay attention to it. 
I'ma stupid@$$! I set it to 0, rechecked my timing, and, sure enough, I was 15 degrees advanced. That means when my computer was commanding 20 degrees, it was getting 35! When it was commanding 32, it was getting 47! LOL
Took it for another really short spin and it ran much better. No coughing, spitting, tons more power, etc. Imagine that! I did not bring it up to operating temp this time. 

I also noticed the wet spot that used to reside under the freeze plug is not there. Checked my water level and it is still full. Hm. Maybe it plugged itself?

I hope to open the bypass channel either later today or tomorrow. 
79 Cherokee, 401
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 10:48am
I remember seeing a way to block the pressure  bypass all together. Cant for sure remember this, but I think I did this to a 390 I built , the oil press was very high when cold but when hot was perfect. not saying to do this as a permanent fix but more of a trouble shooting tatic. I cannot remember what this intails. Was it this? http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=223

Chris
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 4:51pm
Reason I asked about the lifters is that was one of the first things you mentioned in this thread, #4's gushing oil. I saw you mentioned it again in another thread, or maybe it was in the tail end of this one. I would have replaced those lifters, just for peace of mind, for what they cost. Maybe that's enough to cause your low pressure, maybe not.

I am more worried about low oil pressure at say 2000 rpm hot, than I am 10 psi at hot idle. But that's just me, it could be low all across the board & that isn't ideal.
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by iapexl8r iapexl8r wrote:

I remember seeing a way to block the pressure  bypass all together. Cant for sure remember this, but I think I did this to a 390 I built , the oil press was very high when cold but when hot was perfect. not saying to do this as a permanent fix but more of a trouble shooting tatic. I cannot remember what this intails. Was it this? http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=223

Chris
Hey Chris!!! 
Yes sir! That's the dude. I do have that part installed. 

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Reason I asked about the lifters is that was one of the first things you mentioned in this thread, #4's gushing oil. I saw you mentioned it again in another thread, or maybe it was in the tail end of this one. I would have replaced those lifters, just for peace of mind, for what they cost. Maybe that's enough to cause your low pressure, maybe not.

I am more worried about low oil pressure at say 2000 rpm hot, than I am 10 psi at hot idle. But that's just me, it could be low all across the board & that isn't ideal.
I should have swapped it. I suspect it is compromised/assembled incorrectly but was not sure enough to swap it during re-assembly and do another break in. I just picked up ANOTHER intake valley pan so I can pull my intake and swap it. I have to pull my throttle body for an unrelated issue anyway so this just adds an hour or two of work. 
Got another mechanical gauge. This is a NOS AC Delco gauge, made in the USA. Fired it up (still on straight 30W):

That's about 5psi more than the old sunpro gauge I had there. My stock gauge at the same time?

20 PSI difference. Wow. It was 15 PSI from the Sunpro.

Took it for a short spin. My laptop is still not interfacing with my EFI so I was not able to see RPM. I have a 195 Degree TStat in and at this point my EFI usually shows about 205 Degrees which is where my truck likes to run. 

Here is what the AC Delco gauge shows:

By my reading, that is about 15PSI at 700RPM at operating temp with straight 30W. That is pretty close to where I assume I should be, assuming this gauge is the most accurate of the 3. How much PSI difference should I expect when going to 10W40? Should it be noticeable at hot idle (like 5'ish PSI)? I only ask because next oil pressure investigation step will either be checking #4s lifters again or going to 10W40... 

If I can expect 3-5 PSI hot idle increase, I will probably swap oil, drive it awhile and reevaluate. If it would only make 0-3 PSI difference, I will probably pull the intake and swap #4s lifters with some new Comp Cams lifters (manufactured in the 90's) I have (after a disassembly and inspection). 

I have not pulled the pressure regulator plunger, yet because I will probably do it when I do my oil change and am swapping oil filters anyway. Or is that a bad idea?
79 Cherokee, 401
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 9:54pm
Still of the opinion that it's the pressure regulator.
You would have noticed real bad lifter clearance on one lifter when installing the lifter. One lifter with excess clearance, unless it bleeds full flow i.e. the groove is out of the block, will not drop pressure more then 1 or 2 PSI.
Go with the 10-40 if you want, but definitely look at your pressure regulator.
On the pressure regulator, pull the plunger and put it in backwards to ensure it has free, full travel to the bottom. There have been some newer replacements that are larger OD then factory original that will hang open.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 10:46pm
TSM spec = 13 psi @ hot idle
My '73 owner's manual says 10 psi at hot idle is acceptable.

Why do people always tout the TSM ... except when it comes to oil pressure?

Run a heavier weight oil if your clearances or operating temperatures demand the higher viscosity - not to achieve some magical oil pressure number you think it needs.

Chasing an issue that isn't there.  If you're otherwise confident in the build, toss the gauge, put an idiot light in it, drive it and have fun.  Then you won't be distracted by a gauge reading that makes you uncomfortable.   That's one reason why OEMs got rid of gauges and why most current OEM "analogue" gauges barely waver off centre ... out of sight, out of mind.

My 2 cents.
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 5:43am
water temp and oil temp will reach operating temp (warmed up) at different times. the water will reach operating temp much sooner than the oil. just fyi
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 8:25am
A straight 30 W oil will be very thick when cold and much thinner when hot, than a modern multi weight oil with viscosity modifiers.  Try 10-W 40 before tearing it down.  You may be surprised by what a better quality oil will do.  As long as you have 40 pounds at highway speeds, run it.

Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic