TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAME RAIL REPLACEMENT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRAME RAIL REPLACEMENT
    Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 8:10am
I have a 1970 Javelin that suffered a hit sometime in it's past life. The passenger side frame rail was welded as a fix, so not perfect. I'm considering replacing it with a rail from a donor car. But, wanted to make sure that ALL Javelin frame rails are the same 1968 - 1974?? 
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 11:33am
 I would check the amount of damage if it's not bent much I would repair or replace the damaged section instead of replacing the entire sub frame.

J
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 12:22pm
I believe that the subframe is galvanized also.  So be wary of fumes if you use a torch to heat things to straighten.  You can confirm by grinding and looking at the color.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by oldblue oldblue wrote:

I have a 1970 Javelin that suffered a hit sometime in it's past life. The passenger side frame rail was welded as a fix, so not perfect. I'm considering replacing it with a rail from a donor car. But, wanted to make sure that ALL Javelin frame rails are the same 1968 - 1974?? 

depending on how hard it was hit and where, it may need to be pulled before replacing.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 1:29pm
As far as direct replacement they are close, but exactly the same, unsure.
There was a write up of Richard Teague removing the entire front end of a 1970 and installing 71 Javelin/AMX the fenders/hood/grill... on the 1970 as a concept car that he kept.
Found a shortened version of the article:
oldblue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 7:55am
Agreed on just patching vs. full replacement. 

Also, good warning on the Galvanized Frame......

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 9:01am
I am curious about whether galvanized steel was used. Japan has severe corrosion problems so they started using galvanized steel early and shipped those cars to the US in the 1980s. That forced American car makers to use galvanized steel. I thought it started in the mid to late 1980s. Is there conclusive evidence that AMC used it in 1970? 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 10:05am
There are pictures and articles in many advertisements and publications of Rambler/AMC dipping the whole unibody in a rust proofing primer tank. This was not a hot dip galvanize, but many state a zinc based primer.
This was somewhat effective except for areas that carried air pockets when dipped. We all likely know were those are by now. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 10:41am
I remember when sandblasting my car that some parts were definately a different color when blasting.  If I continued to blast, the color would return to 'steel gray' like the floor pans.  This is why I assumed the rails were galvanized, but most likely before they were welded on the car.  My car is a 70 AMX, maybe others differed.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 11:05am
They started dipping the cars back in the early 60's. Agree, some seem a lot thicker zinc primer then others. Assumed it was when they had breaks and the car would sit in the bath longer. 
1970 was no different then the other years as far as know for production line differences.
AMC did start using a higher grade steel in the sub frames some time in the mid to late 60's to shave off some weight. You can see this when grinding or welding the sub frames.
Highly recommended to use a 7018 or equivalent rod or wire when doing repairs as lower grade welding rod may form cracks later on if the subframe is stressed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic