TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converting to Hydraulic Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zim390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting to Hydraulic Clutch
    Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 4:01pm
As part of my 69 AMX Resto, I am replacing the BW T-10 4 spd with a Tremec TKO 5 spd.  I would also like to use a hydraulic clutch, but not exactly sure what the configuration would look like.  I assume I would use the stock clutch pedal assembly under the dash, but its unclear how the plumbing might look beyond that.  

Is there anyone who has installed a hydraulic clutch in a 69 AMX who might be able to give me some insight?

Thanks  
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 7:59pm
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 11:43am
Are you planning a CSC (concentric slave cylinder AKA hydraulic release bearing) or an external slave cylinder to actuate the fork?  I had an '80 Spirit with stock hydraulic clutch using an external slave.  Might be able to use stock-type parts to make it work.  GreyhoundsAMX posted details on a custom external slave design. 
I used a CSC with a T56 in a '74 Javelin, so should be similar install as an AMX.  Just a hose from the master to the CSC.  Pretty simple.  But the T56 is designed for a CSC so a stock Camaro CSC bolted up and worked - just changed the stock quick connect fitting.  Need to check your PP and bell housing depths to make sure it works.   TKO may need an adapter for a CSC.  Tilton sells a nice setup, but pricey.
http://tiltonracing.com/product/6000-series-hydraulic-release-bearings/

Just be sure to leave some slack in the hose between the body and CSC to account for engine movement. 

Details of my installation and parts I used in this thread (assuming Photobucket hasn't deleted the photos yet).  Sorry, not a great picture of the hose - but just a 90degree fitting in the end of the master, routes down along the firewall, a P-clamp to the body, then a bit of a loop between body and bell and direct to the CSC bolted to the transmission.  The CSC only has a single U-cup seal to the piston and an o-ring for the adapter fitting I used.  Been fine so far, but not lots of miles.

You could also likely make the stock clutch linkage work and some parts are now being reproduced, so keep your car closer to stock as a "Resto".  My understanding is the TKO needs some tunnel cutting to fit correctly.

Hope this helps, RD.
Rizmo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 2:26pm
I used a kit from silver sport trans on my 70 amx with the tko 500. worked out much better than the mechanical linkage. It retains the stock pedals with no mods. 
Charlie
zim390 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zim390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 2:55pm
Thanks to all who responded !!  Lots of helpful info, which I will use in planning out my approach.  The value of this Forum continues to be invaluable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic