TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Tomo Tomo wrote:

Hi Guys: A few questions regarding the AMX. The handling on mine is pretty poor. There is about 30 degrees of free play on the steering wheel, either side. Steering bump is also a worry. 

My older Mustang has much better handling.

Any thoughts?

<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

The three Aussie AMX's I have driven all have the same good steering and stick to the road well.
I think I would be referring to the TSM and checking all steering components.
Can all be done in a home workshop.
Only thing a bit different to other cars is the trunnion bearings. To replace them you need to make a spring holder to hold the compressed coil spring while you take it out.
I got the spring holder measurements from a thread on this forum.
Wheel alignment for an AMX is easy too. Use a spirit level for camber and a tape measure for toe.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2020 at 3:52pm
Done a few miles now since we got on the road.
New rear wheel bearings and tightened up the axle end play.

Humid weather start of the wet season our repairs on the original headliner failed.
Replaced the original with a plastic headliner from Galvins. Found a new use for an old horse shoeing tool.

Lifted the rear by adding an extra main leaf. Cut it off with enough length to support the eyes either end of the top leaf. Worked perfect, was able to reuse the original spring keepers as the thickness of the new leaf was equal to the rubber strips I removed.

How the AMX sits now.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Mostly last. Mostly last. wrote:

Originally posted by PABLO PABLO wrote:

I´m speechless 
I´m doing small restoring works on my 1973 AMX but nothing comparable your work is capital letters 

Thanks Pablo,
              My work is not as good as it looks in the pictures. In person my AMX doesn't look brand new all over. 50 years old shows through in places.
Hoping it proves reliable to drive.
Got my electrical problems sorted out. Waiting on a new brake caliper to replace the resleeved one that leaks.
Your 73 looks great to me.
John.

Hi,
As you seud photos make cars looks better than they really are some times. That´s my case too.
My car is in general good condition but not perfect or even close to that. 
But on the right side it is a low milage and rust free car. And the interior looks very nice now too.
I´m on the same point as you, making it reliable to drive. I just get it back on the road a few months ago, and only had run a few km.

For what i see your work is very good. 
bye.
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2020 at 5:33pm
Yesterday.   Yellow car has been on the road 13 months now.
Not so much driving since Covid got to Australia. 
 Plenty of time to work on the Alamosa Aqua car. Got it mobile, just a few things left to sort out. Not an Australian Motor Industries assembled car but has been converted to RHD using Aussie 1970 Javelin parts.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 12:19pm
Installed a new twin grip centre.
Made a tool to hold the pinion.
 Turned out OK, found I did not have to remove it to pull the yoke.
 Got to .006 backlash as per TSM easy.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 6:11pm
The red RHD Aussie AMX was owned by John and Barbara Friel in the San Diego area. 
Barb routinely drove it to SoCal AMX Club events?  I haven’t seen the car or been in touch with Barb for at least 25 years.  Don’t know the current status of the car.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 5:02am
Originally posted by 72AMXJavProto 72AMXJavProto wrote:

The red RHD Aussie AMX was owned by John and Barbara Friel in the San Diego area. 
Barb routinely drove it to SoCal AMX Club events?  I haven’t seen the car or been in touch with Barb for at least 25 years.  Don’t know the current status of the car.

I think plenty of people are watching out with interest to see if it surfaces.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 9:24am
Very interesting rebuild of a very unique AMX.  I see great quality work in this build. You should be proud of it!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

Very interesting rebuild of a very unique AMX.  I see great quality work in this build. You should be proud of it!

Thankyou Sir, I am proud,  and right back at you. 
Have watched your 70 AMX SCCA B Production car go from good in the first pic we saw to outright stunning.

TSM plus inspiration and knowledge on this forum made restoring a beaut car possible for me.
Would have been lost otherwise. 

Still learning. Ollie told me time for tweaking when I got it on the road. He was right.
Straightened the transmission pan the other day and painted it silver so it's easier to see a leak if it happens again.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 1:39pm
I want my car looks like yours Cry
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic