TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 12:06am
bigbad69
        You are correct. RHD steering interferes with normal filter location.
This setup is not exclusively Aussie though. AMC produced it for your RHD postal delivery vehicles.

The only good thing about an upside down filter up top is I found it is super easy to prime the oil pump.
No Petroleum jelly needed. I just ran the oil in a funnel down to the pump with my left hand and turned the pump backwards with my right, then hooked a drill on and turned the pump clockwise.

Great to see a good amount of oil for the distributor gear.

I had been worried I should of filled some of the grooves on the timing chain sprocket but they were shallow so I left them. Turned out good, just a nice seep of oil from them.

Edited by Mostly last. - May/29/2019 at 5:03am
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 6:06am
Got to here on the engine.

Last job on the engine was to be the distributor and plug leads.
Got two distributors with the parts for this car. 1111472 and 1111988.
Learnt something again. Neither one belongs. They are both for 2 barrel intakes.
Need a 1111948 for a 69 343 4 barrel.
Main difference seems to be in the advance weight springs.
Luckily a friend had one and put it in the mail for me.
Moved on, got the body on the hoist and moved onto installing the diff and rear suspension.

Rear end is done.
Engine, front suspension, driveshaft and an exhaust and I'll be getting close.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 7:50am
wow. Just read through the whole build. It seemed to happen pretty quickly too. It’s looking great.
Did you know you can run your oil filter of the bottom of the timing cover like the LHD cars? I’ve got an Aussie RHD 70 Rebel and an Aussie RHD Matador coupe and have converted both of them to mount the oil filter as per the LHD cars. You just have to use a smaller oil filter. I can get you the part numbers if you like. 
Or maybe you are trying to keep to original Aussie specs.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by skymit skymit wrote:

wow. Just read through the whole build. It seemed to happen pretty quickly too. It’s looking great.
Did you know you can run your oil filter of the bottom of the timing cover like the LHD cars? I’ve got an Aussie RHD 70 Rebel and an Aussie RHD Matador coupe and have converted both of them to mount the oil filter as per the LHD cars. You just have to use a smaller oil filter. I can get you the part numbers if you like. 
Or maybe you are trying to keep to original Aussie specs.

I would really appreciate that smaller oil filter part number thankyou.

I knew about it from reading the Aussie section on the forum here. Bought a filter with the number mentioned and it did not screw on so I abandoned ship and went with original Aussie specs. Messy oil filter replacement, but it works.
I'm keen to get on the road, not getting any younger and don't trust our goverment not to force us all into electric bubble cars before I can enjoy it.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Mostly last. Mostly last. wrote:

I'm keen to get on the road, not getting any younger and don't trust our goverment not to force us all into electric bubble cars before I can enjoy it.
You're not alone in that boat.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 11:32pm
i use this Longer filter on my Matador as the engine has been spaced over to the left.
Longer
 Repco part # rof-134
Tyco z689
I use this shorter filter on my Rebel as the engine is in the standard location
Shorter
Repco part# Rof-87
Ryco  Z585

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by skymit skymit wrote:

i use this Longer filter on my Matador as the engine has been spaced over to the left.
Longer
 Repco part # rof-134
Tyco z689
I use this shorter filter on my Rebel as the engine is in the standard location
Shorter
Repco part# Rof-87
Ryco  Z585

Thankyou. Ryco Z585 is what I tried. Good to know it's the right filter.
Had another look at the oil pump. Even though the oil pump to filter thread looks OK it must be damaged. I'll see what I can do with it.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 5:09pm
Bit of a dissapointment how many parts I got with this project that either don't belong or are worn out. All part of the fun, but yesterday trying to make one good distributor out of three I found something told me I did the right thing buying this AMX project.
Pic below shows how a stout AMC engine distributor shaft in an effort to keep going for its owner, not only chewed through its housing and bush, but then went on through the breaker plate. Still looked good enough from the outside I thought I was going to use it when I was all wide eyed buying it two years ago.
Lately here a faint hearted bubble car stopped traffic on a range when it pulled up and refused to go any further after it sensed a road works safety cone placed too close to the lane it was in.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 5:30pm
Testing breaker plate vacuum advance.
Full advance was about 19.5" like TSM says

On the engine.
Bit interested why it is not orientated exact same way as our other 343 AMX.
Set it up according to what I have read on the forum here and it all seemed to check out OK.

Mounted the AVS2 so it looked similar to the original AFB.
Fuel filter as per 69.
Carby to fuel filter fitting is Part#A3779 from Chicago Corvette.

Because I went manual choke had to do something different to tidy up vacuum & PCV hose routing.

Edited by Mostly last. - Apr/26/2020 at 11:34pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 7:07am
Been looking forward to this.

IN !! Only trap I found for first timer like myself, when I tried to put the steering pitman back straight there was a clunk as the clamp on the steering shaft hit the rear spark plug heat sheild. Had to cut the heat sheild and bend it towards the manifold so the clamp cleared it. Will remember for next time.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic