TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 7:37am
With our season over, it's time to get stuck into winter maintenance jobs and upgrades. I have compiled a bit of a list, some of which will get done and some which is almost certainly going to be pie in the sky dreams, but here it is just to see how far I get by next season:

1: Do some more rust repairs and bodywork, this is probably the biggest priority
2: Remove and reinstall windscreen or a new one, along with panel repairs to the roof. The windscreen has de-bonded across the top and lets water in.
3. Install oil catch can and associated rocker covers
4. Install longer rear wheel studs and open ended wheel nuts
5. Wire up 2 step rev limiter function on Holley Sniper
6. Swap LED headlight globes back to halogen, the cheap LED globes are pretty crappy.
7. Replace steering box output shaft seal
8. Install some sort of engine dipstick retention system
9. Additional throttle return spring
10. Install better/new shifter
11. Service transmission and install deep pan (already have the latter)
12. Refurbish passenger door card
13. New rear tires, slicks or radials, that is the dilemma?
14. Improve harness crotch strap anchors, maybe buy a new harness as well
15. New battery (lithium for weigh savings)
16. Holley digital dash
17. Engine upgrades, several options here
a. Upgrade existing heads, new valve springs, seals, associated machine work and a bit of additional porting
b. Install Edlebrock heads, I have them but would like to do some porting, valve job and probably new springs before using
c. Install new solid cam along with either a or b above, have cam and lifters already.
d. Freshen engine in association with the above, basically re-ring job and check bearings
e. Forget a, b , c or d and just go for broke and build a new 401 engine with the Eddies and solid cam
18. Cage, particularly if 17.e option is chosen although I am warming to the idea of just lifting off after half track to keep it in the 11's
20. Quick release steering wheel, will probably need this to be able to get into and out of the car with a cage.
19. Front brake upgrade, either Wilwood or Aerospace, mostly for weight savings.
20. Rear suspension upgrades, Caltracs, split mono-leafs, better shocks

So that's about it, some of it is fairly simple, but then a lot of the later stuff will probably stretch well beyond my current budget.

Time to make a start on the off season upgrades, first part of the task is of course some disassembly:

Some rust to be tackled, mostly just a repeat of what was done on the other side a couple of years ago, note this is the good side:

Rear wheel arch needs a bit of attention too:

So time to start drilling spot welds and splitting seams:

And before you know it, the inner rocker is on the ground:

Will follow the same procedure as before, replace the inner rocker first and then chop the outside off to hopefully maintain some integrity in the body while doing the repairs. The outer rocker will be returned to the factory shape.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

18. Cage, particularly if 17.e option is chosen although I am warming to the idea of just lifting off after half 

For get that idea and just put a cage in it now and do all the safety upgrades this winter. There is nothing worse than having power you can't use and nothing better than having a safe car. I always tell people you build a car, so you can survive a dragster getting out of control at 150 mph and spearing you in the rear.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 5:42pm
I'm hearing you on that one Tom, it's really going to depend on how far I get with the body. I did look at a cage a couple of years ago and decided I should fix the major rust issues in the body before taking that step since it's probably going to be a $4K job for a fairly basic cage here. 4 point with driver's door bar would be the minimum requirement to run under 11.0 here. The days are gone where you could just weld some pipes together yourself in your backyard.

I've been chipping away at the safety gear this past season with the seat, harness, driveshaft loop and battery isolation work. Management of our track has changed this year and it is now being effectively run by the Australian sanctioning body (ANDRA), so they are probably going to tighten up on the safety regs next season.

Edited by WesternRed - Jun/21/2021 at 7:37pm
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 5:50pm
Good luck. Body work will make it look faster too.Smile
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by garweb3 garweb3 wrote:

Good luck. Body work will make it look faster too.Smile

Yes, but metal in place of rust holes adds weight and might make it slower.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 11:18pm
Had fun today reading through this thread.
You're doing great things with the car.
Thanks WesternRed
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 5:39am
So it's 6 weeks in and the inner rocker is mostly done:

And the outer is off:

Not much progress really, especially since it's now only about four and a half weeks until the track reopens.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 6:45am
That is coming out well.  Keep at it.  You will get to the track when it happens, can't rush it at this point.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
horn-gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horn-gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 7:21pm
Looking at your pictures what kind of coilovers are you using ? I would like to buy a set to adjust my ride height on my gremlin . Thank you.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2021 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by horn-gremlin horn-gremlin wrote:

Looking at your pictures what kind of coilovers are you using ? I would like to buy a set to adjust my ride height on my gremlin . Thank you.
Just read back through this thread. You'll learn and see a wealth of information he has posted on the coilovers.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 32>
  Share Topic