TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by garweb3 garweb3 wrote:

I didn't know that you guys raced in reverse. Makes sense though being down under.Tongue

Now I'm really impressed with his times!!LOL
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2021 at 7:34am
Racing in reverse, now that would be fun. Sometimes it's just nice to have things on the car thot actually work for a change. I do have occasional delusions that I might like to get it street registered one day and enter the Aussie version of Drag Week.

As a coincidence they have just updated our track regs and I could run down to 10.5 if it was street registered, currently 11.0 is my cutoff before needing a cage.

Edited by WesternRed - Nov/15/2021 at 7:37am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 9:40am
Well the shifter worked great for 2 runs before the cable decided it get friendly with the headers, I guess I will try again when I get a new cable, a bit shorter one might be the ticket.

Good thing it was half price entry for pre 1990 cars tonight.
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 7:10pm
I had the same thing happen to my hood release cable.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 9:24am
New 4' shifter cable installed today, 7 runs tonight without any melted bits, so that seems to be the ticket for keeping it off the exhaust.

Also picked up the new Quicktime Pro tires, 27" x 10.5" x 15", note that 10.5" is the section width and not the tread width, the latter is 9". 

I will get them installed for the next outing in two weeks time, it was 1/8th mile radial theme night tonight, so heads up pro-tree rather than the usual 1/4 mile stuff. Managed to win my three rounds against my mate in his Aussie Valiant (think Dodge Dart) even though he is usually a bit quicker than me.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2021 at 9:03am
So it's well into summer now and I've been slowly chipping away at my list of winter jobs from a few pages back, I think I have 7 out of 20 done now.

Oil catch can is something I've wanted to do for a while now and this included installing the new rocker covers I bought a while back and had modified for the job.

That should avoid having to wipe the oil from the breather off the top of the engine every few passes. I still need to sort out a better non-vented oil filler cap to replace the one I made using plumbing parts and some radiator hose, Philmac is probably not the most reputable performance parts brand.:

Longer wheel studs is another thing from the wish list, gives me a little bit of flexibility, should I need to run a spacer at some point, probably should have jut got longer studs with the axles in the first place as it would have saved me a lot of work changing the studs (axles out job), anyway before:

And after, going to need to get a cordless rattle gun to change wheels now:

Then the big ticket item, some new 27 x 10.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro rear tires, these were to replace the old 275/60/15 ET Street Pro Radials:

I was hoping the slightly smaller diameter might help fine tune my working RPM range and also that a bias ply tire might be a bit more consistent than the radials. So far it is consistently slow. With the old radials, I would either dead hook and run a high 1.6, 60' time or blow the tires off violently and have to get off the gas. 60' times with the new tires were mostly 1.9's, but did run 1.771 once, tires are spinning off the line, but you an keep the boot in and they will eventually hook up. Started at 16 psi and dropped to 12 psi, no real difference. Track prep seemed to be pretty non-existent tonight and it was stinking hot (85-90F), D/A around 2500-2600', so that probably didn't help, on a good night D/A can be in the negatives. Mostly ran low 12's at 112-113 mph.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 6:55am
For diagnostic purposes, the 2nd run of the night and the quickest 1.77 to 60'

The story with this one is that I had the rear brakes apart during the week and forgot that I had to bleed them before going to the track, so I had to be gentle on the line with the stall to stop it pushing forward. It actually hooked up fairly well with little wheel spin, but then a good 60' for the car would be more like 1.66-1.67

Edited by WesternRed - Dec/09/2021 at 6:58am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:00am
A couple of runs later after bleeding the brakes at the track, so more stall this time and lots of wheel spin for a 1.941 60', at least I did win the race:

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:01am
Wow. Was that a low 12 second pass? ClapShocked
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:13am
Will run 11.6 on a good night if it hooks up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 32>
  Share Topic