TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2022 at 11:38am
If nothing else, the Eddy heads would give you a chance to try a different valve spring setup.  If you get the valve float under control, then the extra RPM from slippage may not be that big of an issue, if the misfire goes away.

But it would be interesting to try!
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 5:32pm
I was saving the Eddys as an upgrade for the winder break, we only have 3 more weeks of racing this season, but I'm going to have a crack at getting them on before the track shuts.

I wanted to do a bit of work on them before installation and managed to get one finished this weekend, made a start on the other. Seems there is not that much to do to them really, just gasket match them and smooth out the runners, mostly sanding roll work, just need more sanding rolls now.

If they work beyond my expectations and drop me into the 10's at least I would have the winter break to install a cage in the car. Pretty unlikely I know, I'm thinking they might be worth a couple of tenths, 40 lbs off the front has to help if nothing else. 

Intake:

Exhaut:

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 9:18pm
I'd check the valve job. The factory valve job is marginal at best. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2022 at 3:49am
Hopefully I can get them in for a quick skim and a decent valve job before they go on. 

Got hold of some fresh sanding rolls today, so maybe I can sort out that area around the sides of the exhaust valve guide boss as well. I also have some upgraded valve springs to go on.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 2:49am
I've been working away on the head swap, but rather than post a heap of boring photos I've done a little video instead:

Just need to get to the track before it shuts for winter now to see if all of the trouble was worth it.

PS: Just realised that I haven't hooked up the brake booster hose yet.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 3:11am
Sound great. Has it changed your tuning curve or have you had time to get into that yet?

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 3:26am
There is some little bloke from Holley inside twiddling the dials, i.e. mostly running closed loop so I guess it will sort itself out. Not sure if I should be changing the timing for the alloy heads, compression should be up from 10.5 to 11.0, but then alloy heads are supposed to like a little more compression.

Any bold predictions on what it will do, has run 11.6 @ 115 mph with the iron heads, some porting involved, but still factory valves.

Edited by WesternRed - May/21/2022 at 3:28am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 10:12am
Well the results are in, new PB of 11.35 @ 117.4 mph, compared to lat time out the Edelbrock heads have picked up three tenths and about three mph, sort of around what I was expecting although I did think maybe a bit more mph, 60' time is roughly the same.

Reasonably busy night at the track, so only managed six runs and blew the tire off on three of them. I have a bit of data and a few videos to work through now.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 11:06am
That is good news!  I'm assuming that the new springs eliminated the valve float, were you going thru the traps without any misfires?
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Well the results are in, new PB of 11.35 @ 117.4 mph, compared to lat time out the Edelbrock heads have picked up three tenths and about three mph, sort of around what I was expecting although I did think maybe a bit more mph, 60' time is roughly the same.

Reasonably busy night at the track, so only managed six runs and blew the tire off on three of them. I have a bit of data and a few videos to work through now.

To think that your very first run recorded to your thread here 4 years ago your car went 16.23 and now it's going 11.35! 

I have enjoyed following along with your progress very much. It's seems like every time you change something you pick up a little bit more. Your tenacity really impresses me. Congrats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 32>
  Share Topic