TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M&H breakerless ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M&H breakerless ignition
    Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 12:29pm
After nearly non-starting whilst out this weekend, and finding the points closed up which fixed things nicely, I decided I really must fit the M&H system I bought from Galvin a while ago.

Having dropped the special screws down the back of the engine, twice, I realised this is not going to happen with the dizzie on the car, so tomorrow off it will come.

Silly question... the ground wire that went to the points plate, do I fasten it to a module fixing screw?
The otherwise comprehensive instructions say to check the wire is OK, but not what to do with it.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 5:53pm
There is a terminal on the pickup module that you connect the coil trigger wire to. From memory the module gets it ground from the mounting screws. I installed it originally in the car (magnetise your tools), then rebuilt the distributor when I rebuilt the engine. Only thing I found is you might have to drill out the rotor button holes by a tiny amount to fit over the studs. Good luck.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 4:46pm
Well, I fitted it. But no spark. Fiddled around half the day, it's d e a d.
If I can't find another electronic version quickly, I'll go back to points.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 5:09pm
Check the basics. With a continuity meter check that the trigger wire that is connected to the module is not shorted to ground. The wire from the distributor should connect to the negative side of the coil. Disconnect anything else (tach or similar) from there. Check that you have power to the coil with the key on. If no power make sure the ballast resistor is not blown as the breakerless uses the ballast resistor. Also check that you have a ground connection to the body of the distributor. Use a voltmeter between distributor body and battery +.
Hopefully you can get it working because I installed it into my 64 in 2009 and have had no issues.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 5:14pm
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 7:41pm
i have installed a few of these and never had a problem. I'm surprised it would be DOA, but anything is possible.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 8:07pm
And the breaker plate ground strap or wire is ok? Maybe you said that and I missed it.

(I just realized the system I was recalling was a distributor, not a points replacement solution using your current distributor. So it wasn't this I was remembering as having any problems.)
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 3:32am
Yes, it should be so simple. At least, with the dizzie off the car.

12V - 12.84V if I'm being fussy - at the coil +, and at the module where it connects to the coil neg, and there is 12V of earth continuity from the module mount screw to the battery.

The chopper is not fouling the module nor the wires. Rotor arm is properly seated.

Engine timed to No 1 firing, I put a neon in the HT lead to the No 1 plug, rotate the dizzie body clockwise, should get a spark.
No spark.

Tried other neons. Tried neons on all the plugs and rotated the body as far as possible, which is not very far of course with the dizzie back there - whose bright idea was that... but no spark.

A thought; there is a pulse tacho connected to the coil neg, been there since the car was new and if the M&H system can't cope with it, that's a pretty poor show. I'll try disconnecting the tacho just in case.

Hmmmph.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 3:58am
It could be possible that the tach is faulty and has been the cause of your problems from the beginning. Hopefully you can sort it out.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 4:22am
Another thing would be to check that you have voltage while cranking. There is a wire from the starter that bypasses the ballast while cranking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic