TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 2:50pm
That's great to hear! 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 6:41am
Certainly indicates there were problems with the old head!  Glad the new head resolved them.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 7:52am
HALLELUIAH   !!!!        HALLELUIAH !!!!!!

Made a 387 mile round trip on New Orleans yesterday and nothing but fantastic news to report !!!!
New cylinder head fixed all my issues !!!
Improved performance in all RPM's and NO (zero) oil consumption !!!

I want to take a minute and and sing praises for Mr. Tim Mather and Clearwater Cylinder Heads in Clearwater, FL. During my initial phone conversation with Tim, I knew I had found a competent shop when we discussed valve guides. He knew AMC guides are not replaceable and are cast into the head. He sold me right then and there. That was a Friday afternoon conversation.

First thing Monday morning I phoned Tim with a casting number and, yes, he had a core head. By noon Friday a completely refurbished head was in my shop !!! I just don't know how you can get any better service..........100% satisfied customer.

If you are interested he has the 4.0L head for the 258's also. Again here is a link....

I am now ready to move on to next issue......the front coil over springs on my Fatman front end.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 6:34am
Great news! If I ever get down to New Orleans again (it's "on the list") I'll have to look you up along the way.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Great news! If I ever get down to New Orleans again (it's "on the list") I'll have to look you up along the way.

Stop on in Frank, its been a long time since we have spoke in-person. I believe Charleston, SC was the last time? 

In my excitement yesterday I forgot to mention my new brake lite switch. I found this switch and it sounded great but don't buy one. It sure didn't work for me. http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/inline_brake_light_switch.html

Every time I stopped and got out of the car, my brake lights were stuck on. If I jammed the pedal hard and fast to the floor they went out. Well, thats not they way you apply brakes, with slow even pressure they stuck on. 

Total waste of money. I should have invested my money in wine, women & song !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2021 at 11:35am
It's been a long time coming but I finally have the windshield wipers working as they should !!!

Got the new wiper motor arm installed.
New shorter one on the right.

Still of the opinion I did the right thing by switching the vacuum to electric. The delay function is awesome. It was all worth it.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2021 at 5:42pm
That same wiper motor should work for 63-66 Classic, Ambo, and Marlin as well as American. The big cars are a few inches wider, but the cowl is pretty much the same as the American. I think the bit wider is why the big cars have a strange cam on the end -- gives the wipers just a little more throw without having a longer arm. Of course I've yet to find one of those cam things that work!! A little less windshield wiped all the time is better than no wipers. Even the vacuum wipers on the big cars have that cam thingy, IIRC...  No delay with vac wipers, but you can sure slow them way down!

Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2021 at 10:33pm
This is an update I should do. My Rambler has electric wipers, but the wiper motor arm/crank brushing is in sad shape. Doesn't look like anyone offers those ..
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 1:56pm
Time for an update my AMC Friends.......

Sure been some big changes in my life....had a fantastic time at the AMC Races !!

During our trip North both me and Teresa got Covid 19. I was treated at the VA with The Infusion and was immediately cured. My best friend, my car buddy died. RIP Teresa.

Life goes on. Road Warrior has developed transmission problems. 

My “ expert transmission team”; an assembly of noted experts including “Chopper” Bob Shultz, a legend in building AMC drag racing transmissions,  my personal master mechanic, Pete Lofton, have concluded we have 2 issues going on. The first issue we believe to be in the transmission valve body and the second issue is a failing tail shaft bearing.

The tail shaft bearing is creating a howling, whining noise when traveling at highway speeds. Parts are readily available to solve the issue. It requires the replacement of the tail shaft bearing, rear sleeve and oil seal.

Without exploratory surgery, we believe the valve body issue to be a bad separator plate in the valve body itself. The plate has a series of holes that direct the fluid flow in different directions to make the transmission operate. These holes are sealed off by steel balls stopping the fluid flow in one area and directing it to another area, thus allowing the transmission to properly shift. These holes over time become wore out, i.e. enlarged, elongated, ect.; the  steel balls don’t properly seal off  the fluid flow, allowing fluid to leak thru causing all kind of problems.

I personally feel that some of the issue may also be in the kick down controller in the valve body itself. This is strictly a mechanical controller, controlled by the Lokar kick down cable. I feel there is not enough tension on the controller to keep the cable tight and “turn it off”.  My team seems to think it’s more of an adjustment issue but I disagree. I think there is something mechanical amiss.

There are no separator plates available on the market. An obsolete part, so they say. Who says that AMC’s are obsolete??? Only the unknowing!!!!

So began my part search. I figured the best thing to do was get us a couple of “core” transmissions for parts before beginning surgery on the trans.

On the AMC Forum there was a for sale ad for 3 core transmissions. The seller didn’t know anything about them other than the previous owner, whom passed away, was into Concords. Great start, as the drive train in Road Warrior came from a 1983 Concord. I need a lockup torque converter in my business. The first issue being was how to determine if the trans used a lockup or non-lock torque converter. Passing that hurtle, it was determined that one transmission was a 998 lockup, just what I needed. The transmission was located in Janesville, WS.

My good AMC friend Ricky Ludwig, whom lives in the St Louis area, located a valve body in Joliet, IL. All we know is it came out of a 998 lockup transmission.

The road trip is on……..going to Janesville; pick up trans, back down to Joliet, pick up valve body and home. Sounds like a simple plan………..BUT

My only contact with the person, whom will remain nameless, in Janesville was personal messaging on the AMC Forum. This lasted about 3 weeks until everything was sorted out. A date was set to meet in Janesville. I asked the man many times to please phone me, giving him both my home and cell phone numbers, but no call. He finally gave me his cell number and address, but never would answer or return my numerous phone calls.

0500 hrs on Wed, November 3, the journey began, my Honda HRV was north bound on an AMC Parts Adventure. Every hour I called the phone number of the Janesville Mystery Man, left a message noting my progress, but no return call. When I got to Bloomington, Ill it was decision time. It was either straight ahead to Janesville or turn right to Joliet. Having made no contact with “Mystery Man” I made the right hand turn to Joliet.

2200 hrs, Nov 3, at the Comfort Inn in Joliet I received a phone call from Mystery Man. He finally contacted me and told me who he was and he would see me tomorrow. I told him, I had re-routed my trip, and no he would not see me. I said you would never phone me. His answer, “I receive so much spam that I delete every number that’s not in my phone.” My answer, “Gee, a one minute phone call to the number I gave you at The AMC Forum and you would have had my number in your phone, good-by”.  I did not add, “You’re an idiot”

My St Louis friend Ricky to the rescue. Before I had even reached Bloomington, Ricky called and told me he has located a transmission for me in Carlyle, IL. It’s in a Concord station wagon, don’t know if it’s a lockup or not, and we got to pull it. 

Nov 4, early AM, I dropped by Larry’s house, picked up the valve body and proceeded to Alton, IL. That is where Ricky actually lives, the outskirts of St. Louis. Robert, owner of the Concord wagon, answered his cell phone on first ring and told me he could not do anything until Saturday morning as he is a school teacher. Saturday morning Ricky and I made the 1 ½ hr drive to Robert’s house arriving at 0830. Robert hooked his tractor to the Concord and he turned it over on its side and Ricky and I went to work.

Boy was I excited when we finally pulled the transmission back and saw it was a lockup torque converter!!!!!!

At 1030 hrs, Saturday, Nov 6, I was south bound loaded with AMC parts !!!!! Only 503 miles from Roberts house to Mississippi !

An epic 1600 mile journey that resulted in 1 valve body, one transmission core and extra transmission linkage.

Best thing of all……….got to meet new AMC Friends   !!!!!!!!!!!

I now have two rebuilt valve bodies.

The original one in my trans was redone with a TransGo kit SK TFSC and a second was done with a TransGo TF-1 Kit.

I have the parts for the tail shaft bearing. The tail shaft bearing is a mighty rare item. I was lucky to locate a good used one. I am hoping the bearing in my core transmission is good too. 

I am kinda on hold now for my transmission man as his wife is having health issues.

Having AMC Fun,

Ollie

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 5:40pm
Ollie, so sorry to hear about Theresa.
Ron 
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 58>
  Share Topic