TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 3:18pm
Has anyone put a 4.0 eddy head on a motor? Ollie if it were me I would spend the money and do a 4.0 head it’s a huge upgrade over a 258. 
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

If you are going to swap heads, might as well go all the way.....  https://theamcforum.com/forum/new-bare-edelbrock-4-0l-aluminum-head_topic111344.html

I actually tend to agree but the biggest drawback to the Eddy Aluminum head for Ollie is that it will change the weight of the front end again and he's already changed the front coil springs 3 times. 

After Ollie eats the $450 worth of sausage he just picked up, his engine is going to have to lose weight to balance out his weight gain. Hopefully the springs will be just right.

Thinking about it, any 4.0 head you find will have crazy high miles & need every last part replaced, plus lots of machine work. Might as well put all those new parts on a new head, & maybe save some machine work. It sure is easy to spend Ollie's $$$!!!
"Prolly" is not a word.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 9:12pm
IF you have a bad 258 head and can score a good 4.0L head with valve cover and factory header at a wrecking yard, you're ahead of the game. You get a header, a rocker cover that seals good, and a better head. Costs a bit more than just rebuilding a 258 head, but everything you get is an improvement over the 258, and it's all cheaper than a new 258 specific exhaust header.
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

IF you have a bad 258 head and can score a good 4.0L head with valve cover and factory header at a wrecking yard, you're ahead of the game. You get a header, a rocker cover that seals good, and a better head. Costs a bit more than just rebuilding a 258 head, but everything you get is an improvement over the 258, and it's all cheaper than a new 258 specific exhaust header.

Can he reuse his 4 barrel intake manifold with the 4.0 head still?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2021 at 7:34pm
I have completed the compression test and with the head removed the cylinders look great. I do not believe I have any lower end issues. 

I am totally convinced I have valve guide issues with # 5 cylinder being the worst. After 18,000 miles on the spark plugs only #1 cylinder was the color it was supposed to be. I scraped carbon off all the others.
The valve stem seals did not fix the issue, proven by my Louisiana run.

Yes, I agree that a 4.0 head is the way to go. Going to a junk yard and getting a good head will be a dubious mission. Most motors end up in a junk yard due to overheating. Sensible way is to buy a newly reconditioned head.........
Now I must locate a valve cover, exhaust manifold........money keeps adding up.
More issues slap me in the face, I know for sure the exhaust will not hook up, will my AC bracket bolt to the new head? Will my Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold work? Power steering brackets bolt to it.
You guys are spending my money and creating me more issues............LOL

Yes the 30 to 40 added hp is nice, but I am already cruising down the hwy at 70 mph and the wife says she is cold; turn up the AC.....what more can I ask for???   If I needed to go faster I should have put a 360 in.....Wink

So my options are now...O'Reillys has a Power Torque head for $315. That is ATK reman motors out of Grand Prairie, Texas. TOTAL JUNK 

Repair my head. It has been off and back to Massey's one time already. Looks as if he doesn't know to much about AMC. 

Find another machine shop, I have been recommended to a couple.

I have talked to Tim, owner of the head shop in Florida. He has a core head with my casting #.
He will completely rebuild that head with re-drilled valve guides, properly machined new valves ,new seats, new springs, keepers, stem seals...everything. Ship it to me in a plastic box with return shipping .......total $485. It will leave Friday. All I need to purchase is a head gasket as I have everything else here. It will all bolt back together and I am rolling down the road  Clap

Yes, I still have coil spring issues on the front end. I started out with 500 lbs springs and changed out to 450 lbs. BIG improvement but still not satisfied. Got to work on one issue at a time.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Aug/02/2021 at 10:51am
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 3:08am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I would like to know the answer to this also
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 8:20am

[/QUOTE]
I would like to know the answer to this also
[/QUOTE]

I talked to a feller in Texas last night that was involved in this same project years ago, not his car, but a friends vehicle. 

They used a 4 barrel manifold, he's not sure if it was Clifford or Offenhauser, but they had to grind on it so much that they lost the water jacket. 

That in itself would not concern me to much. I had it hooked up on my 232 in my convertible. I tried it both hooked up and not hooked up and could tell no difference. I don't have the jacket hooked up in Road Warrior. 

Only answer I can give you. (here-say evidence; not court admissible)

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2021 at 9:02am
Intakes from a 258 will fit a 4.0l head with no grinding. The flange is thicker on the older intakes. You have to make a set of custom washers due to the raised position of the  intake ports. Easy to make the washers with a thicker edge to fit.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 5:49pm
Head has shipped from Florida, arriving FedEx Friday.

In the mean time, got a head gasket. Ordered a Mahle on E-Bay and they upgraded it to a Victor Reinz. Nice surprise. I had a RemFlex intake/exhaust gasket and thermostat gasket so I am all set.

I figured while I was down now would be a great time to get the windshield wipers completed to my satisfaction. They have been actually sweeping to much and I spoke with Bob, owner of Newport Wipers, at the NSRA Show in Springfield. 

I made all the measurements as he told me and he is going to shorten the motor driver arm to the wiper control arm by 1/4".

Paint the head Friday night and Saturday I should be running again.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 1:14pm
My project has been on schedule but the hot weather is beating my old butt up a bit. 

I painted the head Friday early afternoon and Friday evening Teresa help me set the head on the block. I worked Saturday AM until early afternoon and shut it down. My shop was 92. Finished up today.

I can tell a big difference just idling. Alot smoother, AC does not bog the engine down. Starts right up after shutting off without any accelerator action...Big smile

Wednesday will be the big test. Going to make a Louisiana run to LaPlace and eat lunch. That will be a close to a 360 mile run.

Report forth coming.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 58>
  Share Topic