TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 58>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 7:10am
If there is nothing keeping you from swinging it around under the MC, it can still be installed there instead of in a T. I do like it in a T -- easier to get to. This seems to be a heavy duty switch, and shouldn't suffer from trash in the switch like the small replacements do. Mounting like you did does drastically reduce the amount of trash that can get in it, if not completely eliminating it.

For those dreading double flaring, just remove either line from the MC to the junction  block (or combo valve) and replace with two short sections of parts store line with the ends already flared with nuts, this switch in the middle. Doesn't matter what line it's in, front, rear, or just to one side in front. So any line can be replaced.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 9:40am
I am now a valve stem seal expert.....Handshake at least on a AMC 1983 258, my buddy Pete educated me !

He was not impressed by the seals that we removed, in fact there was two different sizes.. 

He liked the Fel-Pro ones that I had in the gasket set that I had purchased for the re-build. They were a hard plastic that he said swell up when hot and they fit in the valve springs better.

Torque converter today.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Jun/25/2021 at 1:01pm
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2021 at 11:16am
I been busier than a one arm paper hanger but  finally got the torque converter finished up !! Had to get involved in home drainage/ditch work. Finally stopped raining and dried up enough to work. Put the important stuff like the Rambler on hold...........Cry

The torque converter sure has made a big difference, the transmission is now shifting like it should. The only issue I have had is with the kick down cable. I have a Lokar set-up. I have owned a half dozen 727/904's and have used the Lokar on them all. This one does not keep tension all the time on the cable as the others have. I don't understand it, but I have it adjusted correctly as the trans is down shifting as it should. I got it to tight, where it would downshift to second and stay there. I kept backing it off to I found the "sweet spot".

I am ready to work on the front suspension. I will do as suggested and scale the front end and total car. I will report my findings and get some opinions before I invest in another set of springs.  

We are going to make a Louisiana run next week for some sausage. Its about 400 mile round so I can see if I have stopped the oil consumption by redoing the valve stem seals. 

Passing a good time playing with junk cars........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2021 at 12:48pm
Had another tragedy that befell me during my latest endeavor.  The transmission dip stick broke !!

Installed a fancy billet one.

More update after my Louisiana run.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2021 at 2:04pm
Going to get some boudin???
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 12:07pm
You bet Patrick........$250 worth of boudin and $200 worth of sausage. I got the neighborhood hooked on Cajun stuff.  So much for the Louisiana trip.

Road Warrior did not do well as far as oil consumption. 1.25 qts in a 500 mile run. 

Just got done with a compression check. 
#1  140
#2 130
#3 130
#4 130
#5 140
#6 140

Compression rings should be good, maybe oil scraper ring ?. Once the head is off inspect the cylinders but we seem to think that is not the issue. The new spark plugs show no visible signs of any one cylinder burning more oil.

We are inclined to believe our issue is valve guides. 

Thinking about going with a 4.0 head. My motor is a 1983 258. What years 4.0 head am I looking for?

As always any comments, advice and suggestions welcome.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Jul/16/2021 at 7:53am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 6:42am
More likely oil seals, then guides. I'd pull one valve spring and inspect the seals first. Might be able to see them good enough through the spring, but removing one is better. About 18" of 1/4" Rope in sparker hole then crank up to TDC works well.

ANY 4.0L head is worth the effort. The 87-90 Renix head is the "worst", but even it offers better breathing than the 258 heads. Ports were raised about 1/8" on the Renix, the intake ports another 1/8" on the HO heads (not exhaust ports though). The best head for the street is arguably the 2000-2006 head. Check between #3 and #4 cylinders on top of head (between valves) for "TUPY" cast in. 2000-early 2001 heads didn't have this and have a thin spot there, they tend to crack. The fixed head uses the same casting number, but has that additional mark. That last head design uses a cast iron "header" and has the smallest ports, but equal flow up to around 4000 rpm. Flow starts to taper off over 4000, but it still has about the same power on a stock 4.0L as the earlier larger port heads up to 5000-5500 rpm. A lot of research went into port design, mainly to improve emissions. It has the best shaped ports of all the 4.0L heads. If you're building a race/high power engine you will want something with bigger ports. There is a flow chart in the six cylinder section, might be in the 4.0L swap subsection. Most performance builders use the 91-99 heads (7120 and 0630 castings), but the 2000-06 is still the best street head (IMHO).

This is a decent run-down of the heads with one error -- the "Note in Photo 4". It shows a 258 head with the siamesed center exhaust ports. No 4.0L head has these -- don't know how they screwed that up and never fixed it!

Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 8:01am
Yes, Frank, I agree that it is a good upgrade, but after more research I have decided against it. Cost being the the deciding factor. I just made a post in the 6 cyl. section with info I found. 

Replacing the stem seals had no effect on the oil consumption. Plans now are to remove the head, check the piston walls for any obvious scoring,  which we think not and move onto the head. 

Plans are to get the head off this weekend.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 2:14pm
If you are going to swap heads, might as well go all the way.....  https://theamcforum.com/forum/new-bare-edelbrock-4-0l-aluminum-head_topic111344.html
"Prolly" is not a word.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

If you are going to swap heads, might as well go all the way.....  https://theamcforum.com/forum/new-bare-edelbrock-4-0l-aluminum-head_topic111344.html

I actually tend to agree but the biggest drawback to the Eddy Aluminum head for Ollie is that it will change the weight of the front end again and he's already changed the front coil springs 3 times. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 58>
  Share Topic