TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TA Javelin 5 ltr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TA Javelin 5 ltr
    Posted: Dec/22/2020 at 8:41am
Just be wary of the different quality dropped spindles out there. Years ago some of the low cost offshore cast spindles would break. I’m assuming by now there are quality mustang II parts available. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2020 at 6:27am
Changing the steering knuckle and spindle to the Mustang II knuckle/spindle all-in-one opens up the option of using dropped spindles, which is what you alluded to. There are 2" drop spindles, but that's all I could find. There isn't a one inch drop, I would assume because one inch is the max drop usually recommended for a spring drop with stock suspension. More than 2" and you're to close to the ground. Time to bag it if you want more than 2" of drop, then you can raise it a bit for driving...
Frank Swygert
smatt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2020 at 8:57am
What an amazing car!  Very Nice!!

You should make up some 2021 calendars of just your car.  Smile
I know I would take one never get tired of looking at it!!

Any chance of seeing it go around the Road America track some day?

rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 11:23pm
Loving your build!!!  Wow, how awesome!
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I'm at -1.5 for autocross and thinking about more. -1 isn't nearly enough, this will improve front grip substantially. Now you will get more over-steer, which is usually funLOL.

Looking at the pictures a bit closer. How close is that lower ball joint to the brake disc?

I'm putting together a new brake package similar to what you have, using the ARGO 'Pacer' spindle which has the larger Mustang II dimensions, and a new Willwood caliper.

You have a good eye!  The end of the lower control arm was way too close to the disc and the photo is before I made the mods to fix it.  It was a little of a challenge to trim the end of the Control arm and still allow the screw-in ball joint socket to fit on the BJ.  Its the old hot rodder challenge...when you change one thing, it requires 5 more mods to make things work.  It is my intention to go to a different spindle at some point, I would like to eliminate the drop plate and get a more stout spindle than the AMC upright.

We may both be after a similar goal here? Are you currently using the stock AMC spindle with the Willwood hub? Feel free to email me at dairylandfab@tds.net to chat.

I've been neck deep in AMC suspension for a while now, mostly the pre-70 stuff. However I'm working on a new lower control arm which will work on all the AMC's, AND a brake package, which will also work on everything. Using the new ARGO spindle is a nice foundation, and because it uses Mustang II dimension (FYI - Mustang II Spindles a larger than the AMC spindles) there are lots of hub options. I'm not a fan of lowering plates either, adding a chunk of unsprung weight isn't ideal. But to get the proper ride-height and travel takes some thought.

I have a pile of Willwood parts showing up next week; hub, 1.25" width brake disc, etc. I already have the Caliper and ARGO spindle, knuckle, etc....

Edited by 343sharpstick - Dec/16/2020 at 1:47pm
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 11:49am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I'm looking at the pics between the video and the pics. Are the silver wheels from a different vendor than the white ones? The spokes look thinner on the silver wheels, but this could just be an illusion.

This is a fantastic car build, thanks for the documentation.

BTW, if anyone can take a sound clip from the video of the car in the pits, I'd appreciate it. Would make a great ring tone...

The silver wheels and the white wheels are the same.  Just had them powder coated white to replicate the Penske Javelin closer.  There is some debate whether the 71 Penske car had white wheels or some shade of silver.  The photos of the Penske car after it was restored in the late 90's I think show it with silver wheels.  In period, the car had what looks like painted wheels that were probably a very light gray, perhaps Traco gray, which is the engine color in my engine photos.  Its very light gray, almost white.  Later photos of the Penske Javelin late in the 71 season clearly show the car with white wheels and even the promotional photos AMC used in advertisements show the wheels being white.  Given that the Penske car today wears white wheels and the later photos of the car in 1971 were white, I decided to change from silver to white.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 11:44am
I'm always impressed with this car, the workmanship, the cleanliness, and the SOUND of it !

Excellent work ColoradoAMX
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I'm at -1.5 for autocross and thinking about more. -1 isn't nearly enough, this will improve front grip substantially. Now you will get more over-steer, which is usually funLOL.

Looking at the pictures a bit closer. How close is that lower ball joint to the brake disc?

I'm putting together a new brake package similar to what you have, using the ARGO 'Pacer' spindle which has the larger Mustang II dimensions, and a new Willwood caliper.

You have a good eye!  The end of the lower control arm was way too close to the disc and the photo is before I made the mods to fix it.  It was a little of a challenge to trim the end of the Control arm and still allow the screw-in ball joint socket to fit on the BJ.  Its the old hot rodder challenge...when you change one thing, it requires 5 more mods to make things work.  It is my intention to go to a different spindle at some point, I would like to eliminate the drop plate and get a more stout spindle than the AMC upright.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 9:13am
I'm looking at the pics between the video and the pics. Are the silver wheels from a different vendor than the white ones? The spokes look thinner on the silver wheels, but this could just be an illusion.

This is a fantastic car build, thanks for the documentation.

BTW, if anyone can take a sound clip from the video of the car in the pits, I'd appreciate it. Would make a great ring tone...
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2020 at 8:59am

Edited by 343sharpstick - Dec/16/2020 at 10:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic