TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 3:04pm
1)  Stud welder?  Don't say I never told you so.  Wink
2)  Rust repair?  There are as many opinions (and approaches) on this as there are people.  Do some research and go with the process you are most comfortable with.
3)  Vinyl top?  In my experience the vinyl comes off easily.  The glue does not and the rust is underneath the glue.  Warm day, scraper, very easy passes with a DA with coarse grit.  Resist the temptation to go medieval with a grinding wheel.  You probably won't be pleased with the results.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 3:16pm
With a RustDamage this far... How does the rest of the Metal underneath the "gone Spots" look?

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 3:30pm
Thanks gentlemen!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 3:48pm
A couple of test sections, cutting back the vinyl top and scraping with a wide blade chisel revealed original body color paint and good shiny steel underneath. The only rusty spot I could find was up against the rear trim where the rust is forming between the vinyl top and rear window. Great news!
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

A couple of test sections, cutting back the vinyl top and scraping with a wide blade chisel revealed original body color paint and good shiny steel underneath. The only rusty spot I could find was up against the rear trim where the rust is forming between the vinyl top and rear window. Great news!

That is excellent news!  Thumbs Up  Frankly, I'm a bit surprised but never look a gift horse in the mouth.  Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

I think you are lucky that there was paint under the vinyl top.  I have a 69 Javelin with only the factory primer under the vinyl top and it was extensively damaged by rust under the vinyl.  We had to cut off the top and I have a replacement for it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 10:41pm
Yeah, I’m extremely relieved. Still plenty of work to do. More good news is that my buddy Tim, 45 minutes from me, has a good solid 1969 Javelin body chopped up and just waiting to turn into patch panels.

Edited by Red20 - Feb/03/2018 at 10:45pm
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 2:48am
I had never welded or shaped sheet metal before I started working on my rambler. I started on the cowl and front floor area because no one would ever see it. I bought sheet steel from the local steel mill and some body hammers and some sheet metal pliers. I now feel pretty confident. You can make pretty much anything on a vice with some hammers and dollies. It will take you a long time to make the first couple pieces.. I started having to remake the same patch 3-4 times before I had one workable but once you get the hang of it its not so hard. Now I can do it pretty quickly and on the first attempt. 

I'm sure you already know about shrinking the bodywork when you weld. It happens no matter how slowly you stitch the stuff in so you usually have to break out the hammer and dolly to stretch it back out a little.

I like to make cardboard templates of my patch panel out of card stock then trace it back out onto the steel. If there are some complex curves don't be afraid to cut several pieces out and weld them all together vs trying to bend up something. I found I had to do that a lot on the cowl section.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 3:04am
First_Gear, thanks for the advice. Gives me a sense of confidence for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic