TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 64 rambler classic front and rear glass removal?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 rambler classic front and rear glass removal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 rambler classic front and rear glass removal?
    Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 8:31am
I've never been a glass guy... I need to get the front and rear glass removed safely from my car. 
The seals need to be replaced and I wouldn't be surprised if I need to do some repair to the flange areas.

not to mention... I need the access for welding up the roll cage Evil Smile

Any tips would be appreciated.  The car still has the bright work around the glass...so I guess step one is figuring out how to remove it

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 8:45am
You need to follow the TSM directions. Remove anything obstructing access to the rubber flange of the gasket on the inside of the car. Cut the rubber approximately even with the flange on the inside a gently push out the windshield.   You do not need to remove the windshield moldings from the gasket until the windshield is out of the car. A new windshield gasket is available from the AMC vendors. I do not know about availability of the back glass gasket. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
timberwolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 8:55am
thanks for the tips.  Looks like the front gasket is readily available, and if I'm deciphering correctly, this should work for the rear?

http://www.ramblerparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=3283

MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 5:29pm
First off, be ready to have a FIGHT with those reproduction rubbers. I mean a BATTLE, they will be total crap, but it's as good as it gets. 

Here are some tools I made that I feel are a MUST for these rubber gasket windows. 

Click on this link and the instructions on making them can be found there.  http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/window-rubber-gasket-removal-installation-tools-360386.html

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2017 at 7:44am
I never had a problem with the replacement rubber (got from www.amcrambler.com -- Peter Stathes). It can be a bear to get in though. The old trick of a string around the top works great. I always put the bottom channel in, so the string would be across the top, down the sides, and in about a foot on each side at the bottom. Seat it in the bottom when you go to put it in, then pull string to pull the lip out and over the flange, evenly up the sides.

Put the rubber on the windshield with a little sealer in the channel the glass goes in.  The "pro" installer I first used didn't do that and the thing leaked -- I had to pull it out a couple months later (thankfully it was new and came out without tearing the rubber!) and install it myself. They didn't use sealer ANYWHERE!!

Once that is done, put the stainless trim in its channel. You can't remove or install the trim once the rubber is in place -- obvious once you remove it.

Now the tricky part. You need to put sealer on the flange (or in the gasket where it mates to the flange), then put the windshield in. Mask off the dash and all metal around the windshield -- you will get sealer on everything when the string pulls out. Have a rag and some paint thinner or alcohol ready to remove excess sealer from gasket/windshield/anything it gets on (like hands!). 2" tape on the posts and headliners is usually enough, just cover the dash.

I put mine in by myself, but it is nice to have a helper who can put pressure n the windshield as you pull the string. Otherwise it's pull a little, get out and push in, etc. until finished. Still shouldn't take too long...
Frank Swygert
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2017 at 8:04am
Glad to hear the rubber can be had that is good, I have had battles with repro rubber over the years. I have saved that site for the future, thanks.

Originally they didn't use sealer, which leads to my complaints about the reproduction rubber. The reproduction rubber isn't as good as the original or no sealer would be needed right? I have a nice windshield with a nice original rubber that I will be using.

Brian
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 6:06am
Hmm... let me look at a TSM before I answer.... I was right, they DID use sealer!! Not in the channel for the glass, but on the body. 1963 American TSM (only one I have handy right now)...page 1 of Windshield - Rea Window - Windshield Wiper section, bottom right corner of page just below photo:
"Apply a 1/2" bead of sealer completely around the windshield opening ledge. NOT THE FLANGE."
Capitalized in the TSM, not my emphasis. That would keep water out of the flange at the bottom, and the rubber would push the sealer back to the flange anyway. I've done them like this and still got a little rain seepage at speed (light rain, 55+ mph) around the glass, so I always put a little sealant in the channel.

It's a common misconception that sealer wasn't used with the lip type rubber gaskets. Modern glass companies don't use sealer when they install a windshield in a classic car. Partly because it can leave a mess that has to be carefully cleaned (masking tape and alcohol or paint thinner), partly because most people don't drive their classics in bad weather and would never notice anyway.

Frank Swygert
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Hmm... let me look at a TSM before I answer.... I was right, they DID use sealer!! Not in the channel for the glass, but on the body. 1963 American TSM (only one I have handy right now)...page 1 of Windshield - Rea Window - Windshield Wiper section, bottom right corner of page just below photo:
"Apply a 1/2" bead of sealer completely around the windshield opening ledge. NOT THE FLANGE."
Capitalized in the TSM, not my emphasis. That would keep water out of the flange at the bottom, and the rubber would push the sealer back to the flange anyway. I've done them like this and still got a little rain seepage at speed (light rain, 55+ mph) around the glass, so I always put a little sealant in the channel.

It's a common misconception that sealer wasn't used with the lip type rubber gaskets. Modern glass companies don't use sealer when they install a windshield in a classic car. Partly because it can leave a mess that has to be carefully cleaned (masking tape and alcohol or paint thinner), partly because most people don't drive their classics in bad weather and would never notice anyway.

I have worked on very few AMC's over the my career so they have use sealant. I have never pulled a rubber sealed window out of a car that had sealer on it, EVER that I remember.

Brian
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 9:28am
My 66 Rambler American with less than 4,000 miles on it undoubtedly has the original windshield and there is grey sealant behind the windshield gasket.  It has the Type 1 windshield with moldings inserted into the gasket.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 11:34am
Is the "sealant" a soft sticky stuff like "Stripcalk" 3M sealant? I do remember something like that once in a while. It's not a "urethane" or hard setting sealer though. 

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic