TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

going crazy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebig73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: going crazy
    Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:37pm

Ok my ambassador is driving me crazy. Heres what it is doing, it will rum good while not driving then when I drive for any amount of time more than to minutes it starts to deisel( run bad, have to give it more gas to keep it running, missing, and pretty much running like a sh*t box) Ive done a laundry list of stuff to it, and it still does the same thing as the day I broought it home, now it runs better when its running good and it even runs better when it running bad but it is doing the same thing as when I brought it home.CryAngryOuch 

Here is some of the things Ivedone. New plug wires, new ignitor points replacement, new plugs times 2,new cap, new rotor, new coil times 2, new voltage regulator, new alternator,cleaned all grounds replaces all conections on alternator, droped fuel tank cleaned it out, deleated fuel sock in leiu of external filter, added fuel pressure gauge(running around 6) Check all fuel line front to back, changed from electric fuel pump to brand new mechanical pump,oh yea had to put new hamonic balancer, timing it now dead on zero. It has a newer carbarator on it. its a edelbrock preformer 600 I beiveve, numbers on it are 1405 1356 someone here im sure can cross refrance that to make sure.
1968 ambassador dlp 343
mikebig73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebig73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:41pm
I beleive it to be completly stock on the inside. It has a edelbrock preformer intake and log style exsaust manifolds, the alternator light does stay on and im not sure why but it is charging battery(I think lol) I really am at a lose as what to do next??? Any new sugestions would be greatly appreciated
1968 ambassador dlp 343
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:44pm
Get a volt meter on the battery to see if and how it's charging while it's running.

Timing is on zero?
Set it about 8 before with the vacuum advance disconnected.
Also check on the right side exhaust manifold where the pipe is bolted on. There should be a heat riser valve with a spring wound on it. Can you move the lever by hand?

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Feb/24/2009 at 7:46pm
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:49pm
Is it a new engine. It will run better if you bump the timing up to 10, 12 degrees.
The reason I ask if it is a new engine or not is because it sounds like you need a new timing chain and gears.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
mikebig73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebig73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:54pm
no heat riser I can find on either side. So advance to 8 with vacuum dissconected??
1968 ambassador dlp 343
mikebig73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebig73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:56pm
not a new engine but timing mark is staying steady moves up with more throtle back down to zero when idled back down.No jumping around like it would if timing chain was bad.
1968 ambassador dlp 343
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 7:59pm
What do the points look like are they blue?What is your dwell reading?Look down into the dist. is there any metal fileings(dust)?Will it do it while parked and giving it some gas if so hook a timing light to the coil wire and see if it flashes steady or eratic. When it does it while driving what happens when you put it into nuetral?   One Bad Rambler
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by mikebig73 mikebig73 wrote:

So advance to 8 with vacuum dissconected??

I'd say 8 to 10. I've not had much luck with 4 barrel 343's above 10 without having hard to start issues when it's warmed up.
Make sure the idle is also low enough so you don't get dieseling when shutting it down.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 8:10pm
A buddy of mine has a 62 falcon that the previus owner rebuilt the engine and it ran fine while idling but when he would drive the car it would run worse and worse to make a long story short the valves were to tight(valves were cut but never topped )and as it heated up the vavles would stay open a compression test hot and cold confermed it...
mikebig73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebig73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 8:16pm
points have been replaced with ignitor. dwell reading??? no metal flakes dust or anything of the sort down were the distributor goes, ok advaned it to about 8,
1968 ambassador dlp 343
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic