TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2 speed powerglide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemicall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 speed powerglide
    Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:08pm
Hello all, First I would like to say great site and i'm glad to join and become part of the community.

We have a 1969 AMX 290 4bbl automatic.
got it 6 years ago for about $1800 bucks, good deal in our eyes.
We fixed up the front end first, got it running real nice, to the point you could just 'tap' the key and it would fire. Okay great, all fluids new etc.

We try to take it for a test drive, won't move without significant amounts of throttle. Okay fine, lets pull the trans and take it in, when removed, we find a 2 speed automatic gm powerglide. I'm wondering what was modified in order for whomever did this to get this in trans in the car? The car has center console floor shift.

And now I really wonder if it's a 290 or not. This thing really roars at you, like shake the freakin house down OMG whats comin at me kinda roar. Where can I find the info to find out exactly what motor it is? It's deffinately AMC. But i'm wondering because the whole block is painted orange, and the different trans.

All this stuff has been in this car 20+ yrs most deffinately, before we got it 6 yrs ago a friend had it in his garage for 14+ years.

Any help on maybe digging up some info on the old girl would be really appreciated everyone! thanks

If you need anymore info let me know.

Red/Red 69 AMX, Far from done, done from a far.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:16pm
Powerglide? I wonder if it's really an AMC engine!
They would need an adapter of some sort to mate up.
The 69 should have a cast iron Borg Warner. They are 3 speed, but don't look a thing like other 3 speed transmissions inside. They more closely resemble the old FMX types that Ford used in the 60's. (similar histories between them is why)
If it's truly AMC, the size of the engine will be cast on the side of the block sort of back of the motor mount brackets, in large numbers. You should be able to crawl under and see them with a light.
The PG won't just bolt up to AMC engines.
ALL AMC engines of that generation look exactly alike on the outside other than the size cast into the block. The external size or physical size is all the same.
IF it looks like the engine seen here:
Then it's AMC.
Otherwise, it's not.
DO NOTE - I have an R4B intake and since it's a 1970 390, the factory chrome valve covers, but all other AMC valve covers will be this way, they will just be painted.
The distributor is the same location, etc. used in all of their engines of that generation. The timing cover is the same on all of them up through the end of their production, so you can go by the timing cover, valve covers, distributor, etc.

Edited by billd - Feb/19/2009 at 12:19pm
chemicall View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemicall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:30pm
Deffinately an amc motor, i'll show you a pic of it. and we slapped a set of hooker headers on it, for amc motor.
don't mind the short wire from the coil, temporary stuff. We're not painting the engine bay or engine until we've got the new rear quarters on, underbody and wheel wells are finished up. and ready for body work. The date is wrong in the second picture, that was only 6 months ago, unfortunately had no time for the baby until now.

Edited by chemicall - Feb/19/2009 at 12:37pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:39pm
Yeah, she's AMC for sure. Time to get under it with a flashlight and check out either side of the block in the mount bracket areas.
Here's the engine size casting - right between the freeze plugs:
And here's a look at the front of an M12 Borg Warner tranny as used behind the 390:

Nice project.
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 2:22pm
Billd:  I noticed that your water pump housing is shaped sort of like a box, and has a couple of  boxy-looking protrusions (about 4 and 7 o'clock in your picture above).  I've never seen one shaped like that before...  Stock, or some sort of strange-looking aftermarket pump?
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 2:58pm
It's the one that came on the car when I bought it with 24,000 actual miles on it.
It's possible it was replaced in the past............ I can't say if it's original, after-market replacement or a rebuilt OEM pump. It's just what came on the car when I got it.

Since I've seen cars this old with the actual original, non-leaking, still working pump as well as cars only a couple years old needing new pumps, it could go either way, I guess.
Might be interesting if someone has another like it and can enlighten.
chemicall View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemicall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 8:40pm
Okay I must have been industrial painting too much lately, he says its a borg-warner 2 speed auto. not gm. is this any good? 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 9:54pm
The B/W is still a 3 speed.......... if there's only 2 working, then it's a problem.
But it's really a 3 speed. In the case of mine, the shift under light throttle pressure between 1 and 2 is pretty quick and smooth. When you give it a quick goose from a stop, THEN you feel the shift. Mine is into 2nd by the time I leave the driveway and you have to pay attention. Unless I come to a full stop, it doesn't downshift into 1st, you are still in 2nd. It needs some tweaking, but because it's handling my 390 very well, I'm going to leave it alone for now.
I believe personally that the stock B/W is a decent transmission. It's a lot harder to get parts for and harder to find locals who know squat about them, but I like them fine. They will handle pretty good power if they are in good shape.
Too often folks who don't understand something are afraid of it, or will cut them down. That's human nature, I guess.
But I grew up around and with them, and have rebuilt a few (although that's many years ago!) so may be a bit prejudiced  ;-)
Keep in mind the age of that thing - unless it's been rebuilt, chances are that the seals are old and worn and hard from age. The fluid is old and in who-knows-what sort of condition. (unless it's been serviced or replaced) So no matter WHAT transmission was in it, it's likely to need attention.
chemicall View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemicall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 1:42pm
Thanks, The trans is at the shop, a reputable guy is doing it that we know, he really knows his stuff. Not sure why he would claim that it's a 2 speed though? 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by chemicall chemicall wrote:

Thanks, The trans is at the shop, a reputable guy is doing it that we know, he really knows his stuff. Not sure why he would claim that it's a 2 speed though? 
Well, IMO then, your tranny guy doesnt know what he's talking about. I worked in a tranny shop too and the guy that owned the shop knew the BW's and he said that you had to make sure you did all the clearances right or it wont last. and also, all the AMC BW's are 3 speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic