TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford 8.8 VSS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 8.8 VSS
    Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 9:19am
I swapped in an 8.8 rear in my Javelin and since I'm useing the dash from the donar Dodge truck, I need the speed sensor in this rear axle so my speedo will work. The truck had the VSS in the rear axle and the 8.8 also has one in the axle. I know the Dodge speed sensor reads 8k tones per mile but can't find any info on the 8.8 VSS. A guy I talked to at Speed and Performance indicated it will work just fine but also told me that Mustangs and Javelins were built on the same assembly lines because thier front suspensions were the same. Since he believes that, I really don't trust his advice. Does anyone know what the VSS on a 8.8 96 Explorer rear would signal. S&P does a lot of Hemi swaps but after spending several days searching the net for info on the Ford VSS, I have come up empty.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 10:10am
Same line? Gee, never noticed the trunnions on a Mustang.
tiny tim View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiny tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 3:51pm
I'm going out to the garage to look for the ford emblems on the javelinLOL.   I agree with you on not trusting that guy's advice.  I wouldn't let him check my oil after a comment like that
"Boy,everyone is stupid except me." Homer Jay Simpson

89 Jeep Cherokee,4.0/5 speed
amcinstaller View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcinstaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2009 at 8:02pm
could the vss on the rear maybe be for abs, not speed?
1980 AMC Spirit GT
1998 Dodge Stratus
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2009 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by amcinstaller amcinstaller wrote:

could the vss on the rear maybe be for abs, not speed?

On the Dodge, they use it to run the speedometer and abs.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2009 at 9:22pm
Mustang and Javelins on the same assembly line???? wow, thats a new stupid rumor.......Clown
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2009 at 9:29pm
The only sensor I did not have was the rear ABS/speed sonsor and only the speedo does not work. Since I already deleated the ABS control module, I have a new problem. I found out that the rear sensor on later Fords and the Dodge use the same part, I now have a speed signal, but it has nowhere to go without the ABS controler. The donar truck only had rear ABS and only used 1 rear and 1 front sensor. The controler did not have the pump as far as I could see so I threw it away. It now seems that I will still need to run this module to convert the A/C rear signal to a signal that the PCM will be able to use. I found a few modules on Ebay for around $150, but even with the module, I am not sure my problem will be solved. Without conecting all the brake lines and other conections that were deleated, it will only keep throwing out trouble codes. This simple motor swap has become a huge undertaking. This same rear sensor went out on my F150 and only trigered the ABS light since the 4x4's have the speed sensor on the transfer case. I still need to find a way to send the 8.8 VSS signal to the PCM without the ABS controler.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2009 at 9:52pm
May be a fun one.
 Since rear abs was standard,  no provision for it to connect directly to the pcm.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2009 at 1:32am
Maybe have the PCM "reflashed"?
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2009 at 6:47am
I thought I could just delete the ABS system entirely, before I found out about the speedo problem. I just need to create a circut or convertor to be able to send the signal but this is beyound my skill level since I have no info to even work with. This only becomes a factor when using the electronic truck speedo, but since this trans has no mechanical speedo provisions, I will not be the only one with this problem. It is geting pretty common on the Moparts forum to see late Hemi swaps, even with the 45rfe trans. The PCM needs a speed signal for other functions also. I have searched for info online for days with no help.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic