TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2020 at 10:43pm
Tim, I got your email and replied.
Thanks!

Akimmet, car looks excellent!
That's the same tire size I have on my Javelin, thanks for sharing the AMX wheel/tire size info.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Apr/28/2020 at 10:46pm
fargo59 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fargo59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2020 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

Just a small update, I have some new 17" wheels to go along with the Dairyland front suspension kit.
I used Legendary wheel 17x8 Magnum 500s which have 4.75" backspacing. I was able to fit P245/45-17 tires all the way around. I would have preferred polished instead of satin aluminum finish, but this was all I could get in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm curious how much clearance there are in the wheel well. perhaps it's the perspective but it looks like the wheel is pushed back in the well.

when we bought our car it had a poorly fitting wheel combo that rubbed terribly, so I'm a bit cautious. I really like the idea of this setup. I'd be combining this with pacer steering arms and a rack and pinion.
His: 68 AMX, 5.7 hemi. in the works.
Hers: 07 Charger R/T, 426/NAG1. 11.2x @ 124mph
00 Dakota R/T 6.1 Hemi swap
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2020 at 1:58pm
A note on wheel/tire placement inside the wheel opening. On a stock trunnion AMX/Javelin, it's best to add some caster by extending the strut rod. When you do that, depending on tire size, you can move the front wheel forward enough where the tire will contact the lower-front edge of the fender.

The new upper control arm can add caster, thereby moving the top of the steering knuckle towards the rear of the car, and adding clearance.

Utilizing the adjustable rod-ends at the upper control arm, and the adjustment at the strut rod allow adjustment to place the the tire in an ideal location.

Using the adjustable upper control arm I am able to get proper clearance for a17x8 inch wheel and a 245/45 tire, which is an 26-inch O.D. and a 9.6-inch section width.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jun/16/2020 at 2:03pm
amx/2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx/2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2020 at 7:00pm
mike,are you still making the supension up grade for the 1969 amx?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2020 at 1:42pm
Yes, I am still building these!
And in addition to the 'Stage 1' kit I'm finally testing the prototype of a 'stage 2' lower control arm/strut rod upgrade as well.

Be aware I am behind on orders, I do appreciate everyone's patients that is currently waiting.
Shoot me an email at dairylandfab@tds.net.
Thanks
Michael

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jun/30/2020 at 1:44pm
fargo59 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fargo59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2020 at 8:18am
sounds great! i'm slowly working on another project right now, but when I turn my attention to the AMX again I'll have to check out your setup to see how well it will work for me. my primary concern is if I can modify the stock crossmember enough to clear the engine I intend to use. otherwise I have to go with a more drastic suspension change.
His: 68 AMX, 5.7 hemi. in the works.
Hers: 07 Charger R/T, 426/NAG1. 11.2x @ 124mph
00 Dakota R/T 6.1 Hemi swap
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2020 at 11:48am
The above AMX with the 17” 500s, in Satin... looks so good!
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2020 at 12:14pm
Would you consider making a "street" version using poly or rubber rod ends?

Maybe something like these?

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 2:08pm
I had considered these sorts of joints, however It would need testing and some redesign of the control arm, and spacers. to be honest I currently just don't have time.
The AMC owners waiting for a kit would not be happy if I used my limited time on this sort of thing! Ouch

That said, for users that have been driving on the Dairyland Stage1 suspension for a while, do you feel a high amount of harshness moving through the chassis?

I actually feel that using the FK RSMX8T rod-end has very little, if any, unwanted harshness transmitted through the chassis. This rod-end does have a PTFE fabric liner. Admittedly, I'm biased.

My Polyurethane motor mounts send more vibration through the car than any suspension component  ever could! Wacko

Edited by 343sharpstick - Oct/26/2020 at 2:22pm
Apjav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2020 at 9:14am
I know its several years later but do you still make and sell the kit? If possible, would love to check out your site. Can you attach a link in the forum?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic