TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
    Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 2:50pm
I’ve developed a new suspension upgrade for the pre-1970 Javelins, AMX and Ramblers

- Install larger tires
- NO MORE TRUNNION!
- Uses standard Coil-over
- Improved suspension geometry.
- Retain current Braking system
- Uses Stock Lower control arm and strut rod

The Price of the kit is $800 and you buy the Coilover of your choice (I’m using the single adjustable QA1 with great results), and the QA1 Ball joint (QA1-1210-201S).
Kit uses the 1970 or later steering knuckle, I have some available to purchase as well, or you can supply your own.

Web-site is on the way, but I’m posting this here first.

The pictures below of the kit installed is the development kit I have on my car. Additional pictures are the actual finished parts.

I’ll be at the AMC Homecoming in Kenosha in a few weeks, and I’ll have a kit there to check out, and my Javelin will be there too. Stop by with any questions

Mike Summers/Dairyland Fabrication LLC

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/17/2017 at 11:27am
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 2:52pm

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/15/2017 at 2:56pm
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 5:22pm
What do you think the bottom line price for everything needed to do the job would be?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 6:17pm
Good question.
I have a QA1 shock package with the single adjustable shock.
This includes two of all the following parts from Summit Racing:
- QA1-DS501     Shock
- 7888-109     thrust bearing kit
- 12HT400     12 in. 400lb Spring
- QA1-1210-201S     Ball Joint
Total for all these parts is $593.58 + Shipping.

That brings the total for all parts needed for the upgrade to $1,393.58

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/15/2017 at 6:22pm
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 6:43pm
Plus 70 or later steering knuckles. Thanks for your response.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:44am
Yes, I have several sets of the required steering knuckles available at $50 a set.
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 10:21am
Wow, this is great. Finally a affordable option to upgrading the first gen cars. Will you have these at Home coming this year? Shelby
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 11:00am
Yes, I'll be there Friday and Saturday.
I can answer any questions at that time, and I'll have a kit available to check out.
I have more kits started, but I'm looking to determine how much interest there is in such a kit.

I've had this on my car for a several months now and I love it. The results are even better than I'd expected, It's hard to describe how much better the car is to drive, but the cornering and ride quality are both improved.

When looking at cost, getting a performance oriented springs for a stock suspension from a place like EATON Detroit Spring will run $350-$650 per pair. I did that a few years back, and I felt there was much more potential with the car, Even with a larger diameter sway bar the cornering capability was not significantly improved.
I went about designing something better that would give more Caster, better camber curve, and better overall geometry while still having a reasonable cost.
Cheers
Mike

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/17/2017 at 1:19pm
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 12:46pm
Very impressive, Mike! 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 4:06pm
Any pics of how the coilover mounts to the lower control arm??

Any changes needed to the lower ball joint??

How are the welds on the upper arms done & tested??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic