TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Typhoon 343 4v Intake Manifold - Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Typhoon 343 4v Intake Manifold - Upgrade
    Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 7:49pm
I've asked similar questions in the past but this will be more straight-forward. In regards to intake upgrades, what would you recommend for a daily driver/street machine?

As far as I can tell:

Performer won't fit.
RPM Air-Gap performs badly in cool weather.
Torker is for racing applications.
R4B is for racing applications, and it's far more expensive than others.

So... anyone have any input? I'm giving myself headaches thinking about possible upgrades.

Edited by 68JavelinSST - Jan/12/2009 at 7:51pm
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 8:17pm
Performer will fit - it's a little taller than stock, so may require drop-down air cleaner.

Air-gap does have the heat crossover blocked so it will have poorer cold weather characteristics.

Torker is a higher RPM intake better suited for racing.

R4B is an excellent street/strip intake, but falls off around 5500 RPM, so it's not really good for race-only. It is an inch taller than stock, but can be made to fit without a lot of difficulty. Unless you want an original AM part number piece, it's not overly expensive.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
68JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 8:51pm
Sorry, I forgot to specify that I have a '69 engine. So it indeed will not fit without machining.

Every R4B I come across ends up being $350+ plus shipping. Maybe I just have bad luck.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 8:51pm
Going with nominal stock dimensional values,
a '70 & up Performer would need to be milled .033 on each cylinder head side
and .046" on the horizontal end front and back
and 2 additonal center intake to cyl head mounting holes drilled
or the existing holes slotted, using the intake valley pan gasket as a template, 
to fit the '70 & up AMC Performer to the .033 shorter deck height early AMC 343 block.
The Performer is a decent intake manifold unpgrade from the stock cast iron intake.
There are used intakes out there by Edelbrock, Offenhauser, etc for the early AMC,
just not easy to find, and always a question on condition.
A reputable engine shop should have no problems machining a '70 & up Perfomer to fit.
Idealy, they'd probably like to have the stock Intake on hand before machining the Performer.
The sheet metal PCV baffle will need to be removed from the stock one and installed on the Performer.
Whoever machines the Performer needs to make sure and NOT machine off
the PCV Baffle Mounting Ledges on the bottom of the Performer
while machining the rear horizontal surface.
A shop used a "fly-cutter" to machine a Torker, and "accidentally" removed a portion
of the PCV Baffle Mounting Ledges on one that I had done.
PCV ledges where "re-instated" by welding at the cost of the shop.
May I ask if you have a copy of "Performance American Style" ? 
In there is where information on machining of the Intake for proper fit is located.

Wonder if Dan Curtis here could "broker" a deal where the shop he deals with
could get the manifold, machine it for you, and send it on to you ?

Another forum memberhere, Menance S/S ( I think ?) works for Edelbrock.
Maybe he has been busy and has not visited the forum for awhile.

Hard to believe there's not an off the shelf bolt on aluminum intake for stock '68-'69 AMC V8.

Wonder if BullTear might consider brokering the same kind of deal, or Barry Allen, Hemi Adkins, or Herman Lewis, or somebody.
If I had a Performer on hand, I could check into what cost would be to machine it.
Thing is the .033 amount is based on assuming the width is stock to start with.
Probably not a safe assumption with an aftermarket manifold.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jan/12/2009 at 9:01pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 9:18pm
It would be great if someone could indeed look into getting me a deal like that somewhere. This upgrade is not necessarily urgent but it is on the horizon once the car is driving and the engine has been checked out.

Performer does seem like the best option for me. If that is what I decide to go for, would the cam and carburetor from the Performer package be the best option to supplement the intake?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 9:57pm
Would say "Best" is a relative term, but that Edelbrock has done their homework,
and the Performer Intake, Cam, & Carb would work well together.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 8:20am
Offenhauser makes an aluminum "360" series manifold  specific for the 69 & older AMC V8. Check Summit for new http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=OFY%2D5771&autoview=sku, used they are in the $120.00-$175.00 range. I had a used Offy 360 a few months ago. It was a very nice looking piece, Offy seems to be high quality. All the bolt holes were spot faced. The pcv pan was an exact fit, not off like on an Edelbrock. I offered it in the 4 sale section here for a while with no serious takers. It went on ebay. 

Edited by scott - Jan/13/2009 at 8:27am
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 11:26am
I knew the Offy 360 could work but I wasn't sure what kind of application it was for so I didn't mention it. Is it a streetable intake or more for racing as well?
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 12:03pm
I've got a dual-port Offy 360 (dual plane) on my 390, and I like it on the street.  No driveability issues...
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 4:36pm
I've seen people with Torkers, R4Bs, Offy 390's, and Performer RPMs that drive them.... but those are for 390 cars. Those seem overkill for my 343.

I think I'll try for the machined Performer option, if I ever find someone to help me out with that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic