TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 cam recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 8:02am
I glossed over a few things there that I should probably point out just for clarity:

I've only selected cams that would provide a Dynamic Compression Ratio of 7.25 to 7.75, specifically to get the most out of 93 octane fuel.

Also I've eliminated old school slow ramp cams from the list, as well as the extremely fast ramp cams as noted above. The results are middle ramp rate cams that should give reasonably low valvetrain noise and long life, and hopefully with minimal risk of lobe failure on breaking, yet better performance than old tech slow ramp cams.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

Since your compression ratio is a little low (9:1), you'll find improvements in performance by advancing the cam 2-4 degrees. That advances the intake closing point, increasing the dynamic compression ratio. This is a common methodology used by engine builders on Speedtalk to compensate for lower compression.

Using stock rockers prevents you from using the Lunati Voodoo 702 and 703 cams if we honor a 0.500" lift limit, and I think most of us agree that the Comp Xtreme Energy cams are too likely to round off lobes and have too much valvetrain noise. If we rule out other cams with similar aggressive lobe issues, we're left with a pretty tight list:

Typically "lope" starts at about 1.5 Overlap Factor, so anything below that can be dropped from the list. The Air Gap's fully divided plenum results in a much smoother idle than a single plane or even a stock intake with has a notched divider, so I'd tend to drop anything that's really close to the 1.5 mark as well. That leaves even fewer cams:

The last fellow on the AMC Forum that ordered the Comp 280H was really upset with the quality as it was unusable and he had to return it. It's also about as big a cam as you can run with power brakes, and might even be troublesome if you have vacuum leaks or some other issue. In my book that trims it down to the Erson Street Fighter and the Isky 270-HL. The Isky will have the more aggressive idle of the two.

So I'm thinking an Isky 270-HL installed at 4 degrees advanced should meet your needs, which of course unclejohn has been telling us all along. In this case for every 1/4 point of compression ratio above 9:1 you can eliminate 2 degrees of advance, so if your final CR ends up at 9.5:1 instead of the 9:1 you are assuming then you could run the Isky straight up per the cam card.

Excellent writeup Greyhound!

What do you think about the Lunati Street Strip 275?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2902

It breaks the .500" rule by .008",
 but I'm guessing it's close enough for the stock drivetrain with a spring and seal change.

It looks great spec wise for something off the shelf that's faster acting, and hotter, while keeping the 108* lobe center's (which I like for this build) and not going crazy:
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 275/275
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 225/225
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .508/.508
  • LSA/ICL: 108/104
  • RPM Range: 2500-5500

I like the Isky 270/280's as well,

this cam would be closer to a 280, with a bump in lift & lobe intensity,

though not in the same intensity level as a Voodoo or an Xtreme cam.

I've never run one,

and I didn't run the dynamic compression ratio,

but in my humble opinion,

I really like the specs for a low compression, manual trans street 360.

From reading the specs,

I'd say it may be a little hotter in a 360 than the description implies:

"Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Mild performance use with increased carburetion and headers. Works well with small converter. Noticeable idle."

Thoughts?

Edited by jpnjim - Sep/07/2016 at 11:23am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 11:23am
I also like this cam for a low CR street 360

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Howards-Cams-Hydraulic-Flat-Tappet-Camshaft-Lifter-Set-AMC-V8-220_220-050-540_540-108-LS/productinfo/CL311451-08/#.V9A-O6IbvIU

but it's a 904 grind and the lift blows the .500" rule of thumb out of the water:"

Basic RPM Range: 1800-5800
Manufacturer's Description: Classic performance idle, strong mid range torque & power.
Intake Duration @ .050": 220

Exhaust Duration @ .050": 220
Advertised Intake Duration (@ .006"): 267
Advertised Exhaust Duration (@ .006"): 267
Intake Valve Lift with OE Rocker Ratio (1.60): .540"
Exhaust Valve Lift with OE Rocker Ratio (1.60): .540"
Intake Lobe Lift: .337"
Exhaust Lobe Lift: .337"

Lobe Separation Angle: 108 Degrees

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 5:15pm
That Lunati S/S 10100505 is a nice filler between the Isky 270-HL and the Comp 280 in this case, and gives a little higher DCR then either of them at 7.47. Definately a possibility if you'd want a rougher idle than the Isky 270-HL, but it should still run power brakes OK on the 360.

I don't see anything absolutely magical about the 0.500" lift limit for stock rockers, as it's just a rule of thumb like anything else. That extra 0.008" of lift wouldn't be a problem at all.

The Howards cams are really nice looking and are .904 lifter specific, but they just run too much lift for most hydraulic flat tappet folks. And if you plot out the flow capacity it's apparent that our heads don't really gain anything from wicked high lift unless you move to bigger valves with 45 degree seats. If the heads have stock valves and 30 degree seats on the intake there's really no need for lifts over 0.500". I'd really like to see a dwell nose lobe made in a .904 profile for our stock head street engines.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 6:31pm
Using stock rockers prevents you from using the Lunati Voodoo 702 and 703 cams if we honor a 0.500" lift limit, and I think most of us agree that the Comp Xtreme Energy cams are too likely to round off lobes and have too much valvetrain noise. If we rule out other cams with similar aggressive lobe issues, we're left with a pretty tight list:

"Comp Xtreme Energy cams are too likely to round off lobes and have too much valvetrain noise"

Where did this info come from? My 401 has an Xtreme energy cam in it and I have no problems. Is this an opinion or a proven fact?

Where the failures do to poor quality or wrong type of oil used or not properly broken in?

Comp cams is not an fly by night out fit, I would think if they had problems they would address them or discontinue the product in question.

Not that I don't believe you, if there is a known problem I may change my cam out before it goes bad.

Edited by 53w - Sep/07/2016 at 6:38pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 12:44pm
There are limits to how fast you can move the lifter before you incur noise and wear - flat tappet cam design hit those limits decades ago. Comp Cams realized that most of the vehicles using their cams wouldn't be used regularly like a daily driver, so increased noise and wear weren't as critical. With that in mind they designed the XE lobes that exceed those known limits, as it's the only way to get any additional performance from flat tappet cams at this point. These quick opening profiles also happen to work well with computer controlled vehicles, where previous slow opening ramps wouldn't.

As we aren't privy to the actual details of the ramps used by Comp, but they do publish the durations that allow us to calculate the Hydraulic Intensity. The Hydraulic Intensity as defined by Harvey Crane is the difference between the duration at 0.004" and 0.050", and it gives us a method to compare the ramp aggressiveness of different cams. Here's a look at a bunch of the cams that fall into range of duration at 0.050" that we might want to use for this 360. Note that the most aggressive Hydraulic Intensity (the lowest number) is that of the two Comp XE cams (HI=46), next is the Comp 270H (HI=48), next is the VooDoo 703 (HI=50), and then the Comp 280H (HI=52).

For comparison:
   Crane cams are using HI = 56 to 62
   Isky cams are using HI = 64 to 69
   Summit cams are using HI = 75 - 76

Comp is simply ramping these cams steeper than anyone else, and that's why they make more noise and will wear faster or possibly fail outright. Most folks won't have any problems with a Comp XE cam if:
1) The lifter bores in the block are not worn
2) The lifter bores are machined truly perpendicular to the camshaft centerline
3) The lifters used are exactly the correct diameter
4) The lifter face is a proper hardness
5) The cam doesn't walk
6) The oil used has correct amounts of zinc, etc.
7) The correct break in additive is used
8) Dual springs are separated down to a single spring for break-in
9) The correct break-in procedure is followed (rpm, etc.)
10) And also if your cam is not the 1 out of every 100 cams that fails based on Comp's expected failure rate

Comp does a lot of things really well. On the XE series though I think they really need to advise folks to expect increased noise and wear beyond that of a standard aftermarket camshaft. I think that's what's surprising people the most.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221553

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1011290-wiped-out-xe-268-h-cam-during-break-in.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/xe268-wiped-lobes-214952.html#/topics/214952?page=2&_k=hlrcrd

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods/1011993-cam-ratio-v-failure-rate.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/644974-comp-cams-using-imported-chinese-cam-blanks.html#/topics/644974?_k=qjgisg

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Sep/08/2016 at 12:48pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 5:39pm
Thanks for going in the details. I did stop by my engine builder today and ask about the cam we used and if we made a bad choice. He said about the same thing but in less detail. Every thing was done right, enigine is in good health use the oil i told you to and drive it.

The one comment that he said is that amc has the biggest lifter surface area so it has an advantage over chevy with this type of cam. Stock car trick is using amc lifters in chevy blocks to get more surface area.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 6:26pm
Flat tappet cam lobe contact starts near the edge of the lifter and moves across the face to the opposite side. That's why the lobe is pointy. A larger diameter lifter allows lift to start sooner and end later, so more net lift and duration throughout the curve is possible for same seat duration without being too aggressive.

Roller lifters have a narrow contact width, so lobes are more square, e.g. mild AMC roller vs. stock flat tappet:

Comp has XE lobes for 0.904" lifters, but IIRC, the AMC catalogue XE grinds use Chevy 0.842" lobes, so if you want a 0.904", need to custom order.
Comp lobe catalogue:http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/CamLobeMasterCatalog.pdf

Crane has 0.904" lobes available from mild to more aggressive ... but also need to custom order (see pg.9 of lobe catalogue http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/lobe/masterlisting.pdf)

If it's running fine with the XE cam you've got, I'd say just run it.

For the OP, any hydraulic cam in the 215-224 @0.050" range will likely be fine. Stay smaller to be conservative, bigger for something more lumpy.

Hope this helps,RD.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2016 at 12:58pm
jpnjim, here's what I'm talking about in regards to the head flow. I'll use the Howards cam and the Lunati cam that you had pointed out earlier as examples. When I look at the cam specs and plot the lift curve, it's obvious that the Howards should be more cam. It has more lift, and it's a 0.904" specific profile. Here's what the two lift curves look like (exhaust on the left, intake on the right).

Now what's really cool is that if we know the flow values for the cylinder heads that are going to be used on an engine, then for any given lift we know how much flow there will be, and can make a plot of flow versus cam position.

So when these cams are applied to a stock 58cc head, there's almost no flow difference between the two cams. They still have slightly differing opening and closing points, so performance could still be slightly different.

When applied to a ported 58cc head, there's still not much difference.

But if we use a set of ported heads with big valves the additional capacity of heads finally makes use of the additional cam lift, but still not near as much as we'd hope:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2016 at 1:40pm
WOW! There's some pretty cool information here that I didn't know. Thanks Grey for educating us!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic