TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-72 javelin taillight housing sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 7:47pm
Have you checked with DMT? They have a bunch of AMC gaskets now. I'm using their taillight gaskets on mine and they work pretty good. If they don't have it and you have one for a pattern, they will make them. http://stores.ebay.com/Detroit-Muscle-Technologies-LLC?_dmd=1&_nkw=amc

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 11:23am
Correct, 4 pieces. The inside of the rubber for the housing was formed to fit, which would be pretty hard to do today with a reproduction rubber piece. Also the end pieces were molded to the shape of the housing end. Again, pretty hard to reproduce. I was wondering how someone could use a straight rubber seal to make those sharp curves on the top and bottom of the ends?

Steve
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 12:19pm
I may have to try out, and do a DIY mold seal to fit 71 and 72 tail light housings.

For $11 it seems to be a worth while try. After all in forming it yourself, you are keeping fit optimal.

I'll have to dig out my housings and clean up one to make sure the surface is smooth. Before I even try. As you don't want to have a rusty lip or debris effecting form when making a new seal.

I'll have to search for the casting silicone for where to obtain at a good price.

Here is a link on the product I tested a while back.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/equinox-38-medium/

They make faster and slower cure compounds. If you are not fast, you may want to try their slow cure putty.

I use pam spray to relax the bond, so sticking to any surface won't be a problem.

Here is what I think may be the equivalent of the slow cure putty. No name but same color and seems to be platinum catalyst based as well.

I may try it out as I cannot find any other option for small quantity trials.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Mold-Putty-200-grams-For-Push-Molds-for-Choc-Polymer-clay-much-more/282123637273?

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/10/2016 at 12:45pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 3:36pm
Found this thread looking for tail light housing assy to body seal/gasket for my 1971 Javelin. . Anyone find a source?  It's a thick gasket almost like a trunk seal that's glued to the tail light housing assy when its all bolted together? 
Thanks Brad
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

Found this thread looking for tail light housing assy to body seal/gasket for my 1971 Javelin. . Anyone find a source?  It's a thick gasket almost like a trunk seal that's glued to the tail light housing assy when its all bolted together? 
Thanks Brad

Getting ready soon to assemble my tail lights to the body and am still in need of this gasket? 
Anyone find a source? 
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 2:47pm
I used 1/2” x 3/8” closed cell foam strip on a roll with sticky on one side. Made for sealing drafts on windows and doors. Looks just like original stuff, and compresses nice and seals when installed. Easy to find at Ace or Homey Depot. Worked for me. My $.02
Cricket
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

I used 1/2” x 3/8” closed cell foam strip on a roll with sticky on one side. Made for sealing drafts on windows and doors. Looks just like original stuff, and compresses nice and seals when installed. Easy to find at Ace or Homey Depot. Worked for me. My $.02
Cricket

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.  I've been looking around and found this so far?

Must be a supplier to buy it by the foot?  Still looking.....
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 4:59pm
3m rope caulk or plumbers rope putty is my goto for these applications. When I had Javelin AMXs I would always pull the spoiler and put some around those bolt holes too as those leaking are what caused so many cars to rot out the trunk lid. Ditto for Spirt AMXs
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 7:38pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 11:26pm
Also Permatex Right Stuff, though intended as engine gasket maker, works great for things like this. It is NOT a simple silicone. When it cures it's removable. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic