TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-72 javelin taillight housing sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-72 javelin taillight housing sealing
    Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 6:09pm
Anyone with a 71 or 72 javelin. How did you seal the taillight housings to the body. The rubber seal looks to be in too poor condition to reuse and the one I ordered from one of our vendors looks like it will in no way serve the purpose.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 6:20pm
I have a factory set... they seal but, when I removed my factory lenses from the housings, the material being foamy shrank with age and climate. Since many restore or build with garage storage in mind, the seals should do well, but I recommend a proper sealer to be used like you would with any gasket installations.

If interested in a factory set, I can dig them out from my stash. PM me if interested.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 6:33pm
I'm not talking about the lenses in the housings. I'm talking about the housings sealing to the body.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 6:41pm
Sorry, thought it was a lens issue... that was the only seal issue I found with a 30 year daily driver. As for the housing to body, not a leak to be found before I removed everything. My trunk is perfect.

Since the housing stays in place, and is never removed for service. I was thinking one could use tacky / sticky putty hand formed bead. It sticks yet easy to remove at a later time.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
72AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 7:52am
You could consider using plumbers putty, it handles like play dough and seems to remain soft over time
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 10:05am
I was able to get a replacement set from a local AMC dealer back in 1972 when I found out the housings were starting to pit from just one year on the road. After I had the housing re-plated, I used the NOS ones. Since the housings to the body fit can be pretty poor, I would want something that really seals the two parts. Plumbers putty? Never liked the stuff on my facets, much less on my car. The reproduction places don't make something close, in rubber? It may not match the originals but has to be better than the putty solution.

Steve
original owner
1971 Javelin AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 10:20am
Well you could do what I may do with some hidden seals. There is a newer type of two part silicone casting compound, that you mix by hand like putty. It is not made to stick and is easily formed. Though it is not intended to be used as a hand made gasket, its heat range can be good enough to cast molten low melt point metals.

I messed around with a small kit and found it was rubbery but firm enough to hold shape when compressed. Figured it would be a nice option for reusable valve cover gaskets. The key is to be a bit fast laying out the form and to mix well. The sealing will be a compression seal, not an active bond seal.

They sell the kits in 1 oz, 3 oz and larger. For $20 you can get 6 oz, which can make a lot of gaskets, or enough to do what you want after a few trial runs to get use to working with the stuff.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 1:39pm
I think we should start calling you McGyver.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 3:07pm
Those original gaskets are pretty hard to reuse..They are actually several pieces....maybe 4 spliced together if I remember right...A large one for each end and 2 short ones for the center housing..I think they were just round skinned foam stock originally, but finding that now may be a challenge....Bob Reno in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by target target wrote:

I think we should start calling you McGyver.

Well, I use to always be the one to buy the exact fit made for my car kind of guy. Until I learned from my cousin and through time, there is ways to do things without much for resources. Plus until later in life I somewhat started to listen to my engineering side, which in mechanical terms was not anything I relied on. Now I while thinking back, I should have studied to be a mechanical engineer.

Invention comes from necessity. Though I don't consider myself an inventer, more like BASF... I don't make the product, I make it better. HA!
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic